Author Topic: What was your best ride of the year and why ?  (Read 4085 times)

Re: What was your best ride of the year and why ?
« Reply #25 on: 05 January, 2020, 12:44:52 pm »
My little tour in Scotland was certainly the highlight. Which day might be a harder pick
- day 1, on Mull, with scenery that made me laugh out loud with happiness
- day 2, varied countryside, a bit of off road and some neolithic sites
- day 3, gradually getting wetter but some lovely off roading and feeling properly remote
- day 4, a good climb over to Arran, and managing to remember it was a holiday and swapping a battle into the wind for photography and whisky.
- day 5, faster than i expected over the hill and heading home.
I think day 3 gets it, if i must pick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: 05 January, 2020, 03:27:57 pm »
Chase The Sun (South). Great weather, tailwind all the way, arrived at the beach exactly at sunset. Nice people*, great route.

200 miles in ~17 hours, which I'd have a hard time repeating.

(* except for the people in diesel support vans ignoring the "stay off the route" rule)

I choose not to mention The French Event, as that's more of a sleep-deprivation-fuelled bender than a bike ride.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #27 on: 05 January, 2020, 04:37:04 pm »
I came back from PBP not wanting to do any more long audaxes for a bit, but wanted something that allowed a bit more time to enjoy it.

I entered the Morris Minor 100km Audax round the Cotswolds. I set off on the Friday evening to have a slow ride over. I followed some of the Icknield Way track sections even though I was on a road bike. I thought I'd walk if I had to but actually it was fine. I bivvyed out in Oxfordshire. It was a really cold night but I'd taken my son's winter sleeping bag so I was warm enough.

Great breakfast at the event. I got there early enough to see the 200s off then had a sociable time waiting for the 100 start. The ride was stunning. I don't know the Cotswolds well and I think the organiser had selected some great roads. I had a brisk ride to the control at Snowshill where there were homemade cakes waiting for us. Then a slower ride back and leisurely stop for lunch.

After a good chat with MattC at the end along with great refreshments it was time to enjoy the ride home. Again taking in some sections I wouldn't normally including NCR 544 from Wantage to Didcott which is mixed on road and off road.

Lovely relaxed outing with more time to enjoy our wonderful countryside.