Author Topic: Today's scammer  (Read 19727 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Today's scammer
« Reply #75 on: 13 July, 2023, 01:42:34 pm »
Carli Gray <behehrhe2@gmail.com>
To:
Mr Larrington
Subject:Plan Renewal Details#736290

Hello there,  <Mr Larrington>

Thank you again for subscribing to us!

We are glad to see you choosing MCAfee Total as your preferred Network shield and PC Security service provider.

Your subscription plan was reactivated on July 11, 2023 (auto-renewal), and it will remain active until July 10, 2023, unless you choose to cancel.

The annual total amount of $ 379.89 has been successfully processed from the updated payment method; this charge will reflect on the statement shortly.

Order and Transaction Details:

Reference ID: 5095954361
Seller's name: MCAfee Total Corp.
Payment mode: Auto debit
Subscription fee: $ 379.89

As you opted for auto-debit, the recurring fee will be debited again next year on July 10, 2024, unless you choose to cancel the subscription or stop auto-debit payments.

If you wish to opt out or drop all charges and want the full amount refunded back to the original payment source, please contact us at +1 (888) 713-5736.

Sincerely,

Allyson Toughill
McAfee Service Team
Toll-free Number: +1 (888) 713-5736.

[Shortly thereafter]

Hubert Kelly <apsisjsjjh73@gmail.com>
To:
Mr Larrington
Subject:Order Completed Successfully#326081

Hi there,  <Mr Larrington>

Thank you again for subscribing to us!

We are glad to see you choosing GEEK Squad as your preferred Network shield and PC Security service provider.

Your subscription plan was reactivated on July 11, 2023 (auto-renewal), and it will remain active until July 10, 2023, unless you choose to cancel.

The annual total amount of $ 389.99 has been successfully processed from the updated payment method; this charge will reflect on the statement shortly.

Order and Transaction Details:

Reference ID: 94737-22816
Seller's name: GEEK Squad Inc.
Payment mode: Auto debit
Subscription fee: $ 389.99

As you opted for auto-debit, the recurring fee will be debited again next year on July 10, 2024, unless you choose to cancel the subscription or stop auto-debit payments.

If you wish to opt out or drop all charges and want the full amount refunded back to the original payment source, please contact us at +1 833 216 0626.

Best regards

Hubert Kelly
Head Of Accounts Handling Team
Toll-free Number: +1 833 216 0626.

"Hubert"! "Carli"! You've been scammed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #76 on: 13 July, 2023, 01:56:46 pm »
Phone call yesterday from the UK mobile 07768 420617.

Automated message, advising my Visa card ( note, without identifying a bank or financial institution) was the subject of a transaction request of £900 which was regarded as suspicious blah blah and to press 1 to start a verification process

Hung up

A

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 13 July, 2023, 02:04:50 pm »
Mr L, I like the way that your subscription only lasts for one negative day.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #78 on: 13 July, 2023, 02:12:33 pm »
I have emailed the "seller".  I am away until Wednesday so if nothing has happened by then I will contact Paypal.

paypal have informed me that I will be in receipt of a refund today but as yet nothing from the vendor.   Will check my PayPal account later.

« Reply #79 on: 18 July, 2023, 08:34:59 pm »
My refund has now arrived.  Phew!

« Reply #80 on: 20 July, 2023, 10:08:28 pm »
Dear Manager,

Good day. Do you need fabric key ring now?

Our price and quality are good.

Custom design: available.

Keyring type: embroidery or printed.

Meterial: fabric, metal etc.

Mini order: 200/design.

Hope to discuss with you more :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:25:48 am »
Dear  Keith Walker,

Your assisted bin collection application has been successful. Please ensure your bins are safely accessible to the bin crew.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to get in contact.

Adur & Worthing Councils

If that were really Adur & Worthing Council, then I'm sure there would be lots of bloat to the email, in the form of footers about the council, data protection and the like. But that's the entirety of it in the quote.

At least they don't call me Margret.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #82 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:35:14 am »
The worst part is two of my mates gone done after I passed them the link, and 5 of _their_ mates got done similarly. Agh.
Isn't this the classic method of spread; people who might not trust the scam if they saw it themselves, do trust their mates.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #83 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:26:48 am »
Bank of England <user40@shistatus.co.uk>
To:
Me <redacted>
Subject:
Santander.co.uk

Update your information, it will only take 2 minutes!

This email is intended for , .
Santander
Update your information, it will only take 2 minutes!
Helo ,

We recently made an effort to connect with you via telephone, but regrettably, the contact number we have in our records appears to be inaccurate. We find this worrisome, as it's important that we can reach you promptly and effectively.

As part of our continuous effort to maintain up-to-date records, we are encouraging all of our customers to review and refresh their contact details, which include their email address and mobile phone number. This ensures that we can swiftly contact you should any security concerns arise regarding your account.

To modify your details, please sign into your digital banking account and amend your information therein. Having precise and current details for you is crucial, so kindly take a few moments to refresh your information at your earliest convenience.

Please be aware that neglecting to update your details may lead to complications with your account, including potential restrictions on certain transactions.
     Area Personal     

[Snip]

I'm not convinced this is genuine ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:35:24 am »
'worrisome'  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #85 on: 10 August, 2023, 03:58:20 pm »
Good job I checked the spam folder, or I'd have missed this:-

"hello!,I love your writing so much! proportion we keep up a  correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on  this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look  ahead to peer you."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #86 on: 11 August, 2023, 12:58:24 pm »
Dear  Keith Walker,

Your assisted bin collection application has been successful. Please ensure your bins are safely accessible to the bin crew.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to get in contact.

Adur & Worthing Councils

If that were really Adur & Worthing Council, then I'm sure there would be lots of bloat to the email, in the form of footers about the council, data protection and the like. But that's the entirety of it in the quote.

At least they don't call me Margret.

Another email to Keith Walker, including his address! This must be some sort of GDPR breach, I would have thought. And his bin still hasn't been emptied.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #87 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:09:28 pm »
TV licence renewal scam plus parcel delivery scam.  ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #88 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:10:54 pm »
Somebody tried to scam mllePB with a so-called solar panel installation that she'd ordered.  At least we believe it was a scam attempt. 

« Reply #89 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:18:45 pm »
As per another thread, I have listed some stuff on FB marketplace within minutes I was contacted by two scammers.

#1 - "I will pay you cash" Sending cash via courier who will collect the item. Only he wants me to pay for Insurance. "Don't worry you will get it back"

#2 - "I will pay paypal". Cash does not arrive. "Look in your spam folder" and there I have a clearly genuine message from paypayonlinebusiness@gmail.com explaining that I need to pay £200 to expand my account to business.

And there's no way to report that to FB <fume>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #90 on: 11 August, 2023, 02:03:14 pm »
As per another thread, I have listed some stuff on FB marketplace within minutes I was contacted by two scammers.

#1 - "I will pay you cash" Sending cash via courier who will collect the item. Only he wants me to pay for Insurance. "Don't worry you will get it back"

#2 - "I will pay paypal". Cash does not arrive. "Look in your spam folder" and there I have a clearly genuine message from paypayonlinebusiness@gmail.com explaining that I need to pay £200 to expand my account to business.

And there's no way to report that to FB <fume>

I flog quite a bit of stuff (mainly furniture) on FB Marketplace and the "is it available" - "I want to buy but am busy so will send Fedex/DHL/UPS with cash" scenario is pretty much tried 3 or 4 times on each item I list.   A quick look at the profile and it's usually pretty obvious as a scammer . . . if I'm in doubt I message back "I think this might be a scam, if it isn't message me with where you live and I'll reply"  . . . seldom get an answer other than someimes   "You don't understand, I will send the money"

Given that, I assume, most people wouldn't fall for the "pay for the insurance" thing and thus expose bank details I just can't see how this works for any benefit? 

There is a way to report the message to FB as a scam - whether they do anything is open to conjecture - look at "other options" on the message and that's how you do it.

[The topic has been discussed on here before]

Oh, and I had a rare Nigerian email last week . .  I'm watching my bank account for a large incoming payment  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #91 on: 07 May, 2024, 01:05:54 pm »
House phone rings. Usually this is someone looked for the person who used to have that number.

"We are calling from Microsoft regarding the computer that is in your house."
I laugh and hang up.
They call back immediately. "Why did you terminate the call?"
"because you are a scammer." Hang up.
They call back, but from a different number. "Why did you terminate the call, we are calling regarding the computer, which we might have to disable."
This time, I swear at them.
They call back again! "we will have to disable the computer which is in your house."
I swear, extensively, and hang up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #92 on: 08 May, 2024, 06:52:57 pm »
I had that one a few times and eventually played along.

"Ooh, you're from where... Oh, right. You are phoning me from Windows... And you think there is a problem with my computer... Gosh. Well, that does sound serious... And you've phoned to help me. Oh kay. Well that's very kind... You must be a very kind person... So you need me to visit a website you're going to give me... And what is that website again?... Say it again please... Tell me once more... I'll get a pen this time... Oh yes, that sounds like a legitimate website... Nothing suspicious about that... So you want me type that into my web browser... And should I acquire a Windows computer before I do that?"

I occupied the guy for a good three minutes before he hung up. Funnily enough, that was the last of those calls I received.