Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 301341 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Looks like it was their DNS as it continued to work for sites you were already connected to.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Quote from: JonBuoy
It looks like there is a mass outage for Plusnet broadband. 
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's back.  :)
Too late - I've opened the beer  :thumbsup:

Quite amusing watching people on Twatter complaining that their heating doesn't work as the internet is down  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
We changed our DNS settings (to 8.8.8.8 ) the last time there was a Plusnet mass outage and it sounds like we did not suffer any problems today.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Has Xitter died on its arse or is it just me ???

Edit: it came back.  Odd.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
hmm, bookface has decided my password which is stored on multiple devices is no longer correct!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Me too also  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Are they having one of those comedy DNS outages where the engineers can't open the door of the data-centre again?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Yes, big global outage apparently.
Cleaner must have un-plugged the authentication server to use the hoover.

When it first happened, I didn't know about the outage, and thought that it had just 'forgotten' my password so I clicked the password re-set link.
That worked up to a point, where it errored out.

So I was left in a state of quantum superposition where my password was changed and not-changed.
When they fixed it, the wave function collapsed on not-changed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
If you tell the game to use a Närko trailer instead of a Schmitz one in that mod it’s no wonder the back of it is All Wrong :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Yes, big global outage apparently.
Cleaner must have un-plugged the authentication server to use the hoover.

When it first happened, I didn't know about the outage, and thought that it had just 'forgotten' my password so I clicked the password re-set link.
That worked up to a point, where it errored out.

So I was left in a state of quantum superposition where my password was changed and not-changed.
When they fixed it, the wave function collapsed on not-changed.

The cat is dead again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Opera browser: please to be deciding consistently whether to be adding a new tab to the beginning or the end of a tab group  ::-)

Opera browser: please to be deciding consistently whether to be adding a new tab to the beginning or the end of a tab group  ::-)
I have to work in Edge - it randomly opens a new tab at start, middle, end. Complete garbage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Given my upcoming change to working 4 days a week, I tried to set up a recurring out of office in Outlook. A bit of googling suggested that what I needed was MS Power Automate. It seemed unnecessarily complex but I followed the instructions in a blog.
Given I don't want it to start until April I got it to run a test, which said it was successful.
Fair enough, close the browser down and then a bit later I notice my status message in Teams has changed and is going on about me being off.
Nah, that's not what you were meant to do.  :facepalm:
Let's see what it does in April....

Given my upcoming change to working 4 days a week, I tried to set up a recurring out of office in Outlook. A bit of googling suggested that what I needed was MS Power Automate.

What was wrong with the options in Outlook?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I do 3 days over 4, not in on Wednesdays and have a standard out of office with "I am out of the office, my usual working hours + service email/phone if people need something before I am back.".

I do it manually cos I find all the automated tools seem to be shit, evil or something else.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Given my upcoming change to working 4 days a week, I tried to set up a recurring out of office in Outlook. A bit of googling suggested that what I needed was MS Power Automate.

I could not see an option for it to recur.

I could not see an option for it to recur.

Ah yes, I was thinking of meetings (which I guess you could set up to block out the "off" day.

A possible alternative I found was here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/set-up-recurring-out-of-office-auto-reply-for/71dd1fef-ba99-4a2b-be72-7d509e8848eb but quite convoluted.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Yes, I was just thinking I need to sort out my calendar as well.
I had skimmed that site previously but didn't read it properly (first time I parsed 'header' as 'subject' instead).
Having done a bit more reading it seems like you need to do a bit more or it looks for the day of the week in any email trail as well.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/using-an-out-of-office-automatic-reply-on-certain/dde5a087-3edb-4cb5-9f6b-f9c8a9ab8aa6?page=2

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What a horrid bodge.  I expect it'll mostly work.  Mostly.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Yeah. It's a shame it doesn't make it any more granular than 'day'. I tend to work earlier hours than most people so I may knock off at 3pm on a Thursday, therefore that solution doesn't capture any emails sent to me after that time. Not sure how it copes with senders in other time zones either.
But hey, you can do emoji type reactions to emails now, so good to know the devs are being directed to work on the important stuff...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Yeah. It's a shame it doesn't make it any more granular than 'day'. I tend to work earlier hours than most people so I may knock off at 3pm on a Thursday, therefore that solution doesn't capture any emails sent to me after that time. Not sure how it copes with senders in other time zones either.
But hey, you can do emoji type reactions to emails now, so good to know the devs are being directed to work on the important stuff...

It's just looking for a header line that happens to have a date in it.  I'm not an Outlook jibbler but "PROD.OUTLOOK.COM with HTTPS;" looks like a fragment of a 'received' line.  From the name and protocol, I'm assuming that's some central Microsoft webmail server receiving the initial submission, so simply searching for the day name in that line will only have the desired effect if you're in the same timezone as that server; that all incoming email gets that header (which seems like a dangerous assumption), and that the HTTPS submission isn't delayed (which might be a reasonable assumption for webmail).

A better solution would be to parse the timestamp (which includes the timezone offset), but if you've got that sort of scripting capability, you'd likely be able to access the current date and time directly.

Alternatively, a solution would be to pipe [a copy of] the incoming email to some external program that could work out what day it is and reply as needed, but that doesn't appear to be an option either.

Obviously what you're supposed to do is to use the forwarding option to divert mail to a pirate Linux server under someone's desk that can run exim or postfix or equivalent mail software for grown-ups.

Pile of crap.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Don't get me started on the fucking emoji reacts to emails. I get a "new email alert" and then can't find it. Then realise there's a shitty emoji lurking somewhere stupid in the corner somewhere. I Did Not Care!

I need to see if I can change config to not alert me for emoji reacts or just ignore the fucking things entirely.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

My phone bricked during an update today  :-[

As it's also my internet connection, I had no way of looking up the magic combination* to reset it. Luckily I'm within cycling distance of an apple store, though without internet I had no way of booking an appointment, nor maps to get there. Nor even a clock once I'd found my way there and booked a slot. A bit scary how dependent on having a working phone.

* For reference it's: press and hold in order vol up, vol down, power
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
All the time we have been travelling we have noticed one funny thing with google translate (especially) with the numbers 11, 15, 20, 21, 45.

On Spanish websites where google is translating to English. When written as numbers eg 15 get translated fifteenth, not 15. Why just these numbers?

Especially weather websites and amazon, so you will see a price of £eleven.50
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit