Author Topic: ebay return?  (Read 1306 times)

ebay return?
« on: 12 November, 2020, 09:26:31 am »
Bought a bike cleat set  for £6.  Photo was Shimano SH51 branded.  Item turned up - unbranded cheap copy.  Item page had been removed, but I found cached version - noticed it actually did say unbranded - which I'd not noticed.  Misleading due to photo?  No biggy given the price, but do I just email seller & say refund please in first instance, then raise official ebay request if needed?  Seller had a fair few neg reviews.  Should have done more homework.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: ebay return?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:24:27 am »
Bought a bike cleat set  for £6.  Photo was Shimano SH51 branded.  Item turned up - unbranded cheap copy.  Item page had been removed, but I found cached version - noticed it actually did say unbranded - which I'd not noticed.  Misleading due to photo?  No biggy given the price, but do I just email seller & say refund please in first instance, then raise official ebay request if needed?  Seller had a fair few neg reviews.  Should have done more homework.

Worth a punt - most of these dubious sellers roll over as they're shit-scared of being kicked off ebay.      I bought tool recently - decidedly unsafe - seller made a 100% refund and told me not to send it back (came for the UK logistics end of a Chinese outfit) 

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:24:40 am »
Sounds cheap to me, for an eBay education session.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:31:10 am »
Sounds cheap to me, for an eBay education session.

Yes, that was my immediate reaction too.

The fact that the listing has disappeared suggests to me that it has already been reported and ebay have taken action, which is good but may remove any impetus the seller has to give a refund willingly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2020, 11:31:35 am »
Half of the "UK" sellers on eBay these days are Chinese sellers drop shipping from UK logistics places*. One downside of this is they tend to have the garbled cut-and-paste descriptions/photos typical of Ali Express, and you need to read between the lines a lot as to what you're actually buying. Whereas old school UK sellers tend to go out of their way with disclaimers to avoid negative feedback and returns.

I presume anything that gets returned to the Chinese sellers goes straight in the bin, so they'd much rather offer you a small/large/full refund.

do I just email seller & say refund please in first instance, then raise official ebay request if needed?  Seller had a fair few neg reviews.

These are the same thing - just go to contact seller and select not as described. If they don't respond you can escalate.

(* always in Leicester, for some reason)

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
....after all, why shouldn't you be able to buy £30's worth of pedals for £6 including postage?

To be fair the op sounds sanguine about the whole thing, but seriously, what would you expect for 15% of the cost of the real item?

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:04:18 pm »
....after all, why shouldn't you be able to buy £30's worth of pedals for £6 including postage?

To be fair the op sounds sanguine about the whole thing, but seriously, what would you expect for 15% of the cost of the real item?

No pedals - just the cleat set to replace the battered ones attached to base of my shoes.  Since bought genuine shimano set for £8.99.   Yes, live & learn.

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:34:48 pm »
Ah - so £6 not so unreasonable

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:39:59 pm »
eBay themselves suggest contacting the seller first, then if that doesn't work, ask them to step in:

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/counterfeits.html

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2020, 08:17:02 pm »
As^^

I would contact the seller and ask for my money back politely. Did that recently and got an instant refund without going through ebay.

Go through ebay if that does not work.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2020, 07:57:25 am »
Couldn't contact seller directly - no valid item number.
Did a return via ebay, with freepost label
Email from seller offering 50% refund on £6, despite item page stating 30 day returns, and the image being misleading. 
"This one can be used instead of Shimano.  We are very sorry that our description made you misunderstand."

'Would like full refund please'
'OK, sorry for you problems'

edit.