Author Topic: Fettling hint  (Read 8841 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Fettling hint
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:14:12 pm »
When storing your newly rebuilt and refurbished DynaTech roadified MTB - and before you've actually ridden it - be extremely careful not to dislodge the VW roof bars that are hanging on the shed wall (cos you forgot to give 'em to the new owner when you sold the car) and if you do nudge said bars then be absolutely certain that they cannot, under any circumstances, land squarely across the top tube of your newly acquired / built / refurbished / cherished pride and joy.

Not that I would ever be the one hopping up and down and saying

"BASTARD!!!!!!!!!"

Not like this at all. Oh No!

That's triple butted cro-mo and about 0.6mm thick at that point.

ARSE!

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »
Ouch, that is really horrible. If it is any consolation the blue nail varnish I bought that does not match my bike looks exactly that colour. Do you want it?  ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
Ouch, that is really horrible. If it is any consolation the blue nail varnish I bought that does not match my bike looks exactly that colour. Do you want it?  ;D

Does it match the frame or the fork?

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »
Lights a bit of a bugger but I think the fork.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »
As a school kid don’t try to emulate race cycle mechanics, observed on TV in probably the milk race, who work on bikes whilst the race is under way.  Combining tasks, for example changing your brake blocks whilst cycling to school along the Queensferry road in Edinburgh, really doesn’t save all that much time.  You may find that once your pads are loose they spin round at hyper speed, shoot off from the front of the bike and ricochet of various car roofs.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #30 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:31:55 am »
Don't forget that a spinning wheel causes those lovely disc brake rotors to become circular saws....

And definately definately do not put fingers anywhere near them!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

bobajobrob

« Reply #31 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:50:47 am »
Never try to check tyre pressure whilst you are riding ;D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:32:56 pm »
After spending a lot of time riding and perfecting the angle of your bars, it is wise to make a pencil mark on them before removing them, so that you can put them back at the correct angle first time.

It is wise to make a strong mental note that you put the mark there on purpose, just in case you spot it as you are re-installing the headset bearing races, and go *tut* rub rub rub.

:(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #33 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:44:44 pm »
Never try to check tyre pressure whilst you are riding ;D

Tell Mega10!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2008, 02:22:21 pm »
when you think the new headset fitted by the LBS has worked loose, can I suggest that before you load bike into car and drive into town and take the bike into the shop, and take the piss out of the poor overworked mechanic just to get a cheap laugh, please make sure the disk brake caliper you fitted the week before is firmly attached. 

The symptoms of a loose caliper and poorly-fitted headset are very similar but the remedy is entirely different.

[blush]

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:31:37 pm »
Does it match the frame or the fork?

Is that like matching collars and cuffs? 8)

When putting a new tyre on a nexus-hub-brake wheel, make sure the hub brake fixing nut doesn't come loose, causing the brake to completely mis-align and then seize "on" a mile or two later.  Shimano instructions say "don't dismantle this component", but they don't say what to do if it dismantles itself.

When re-assembling a nexus-hub-brake, grease with roller-brake-grease, not common-or-garden teflon grease.  Or plan your emergency stops 100 yards in advance.  Then buy a new one.

Don't rely on VAR tyre levers to get a tyre off the rim without putting the bead down into the well opposite where you're making the first attempt to lever the tyre off.  Remember to retrieve the snapped bits of tyre lever from the well of the rim.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip