Author Topic: At last, I can post something...  (Read 3614 times)

Pete

At last, I can post something...
« on: 11 April, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »
...about cycling!  Getting a bit weary, of spending all my time in - let's say - another part of YACF...

Actually, not much of a report, but just went out for a modest, easy paced 20-miler with a fair bit of breeze and a few undulations.  All my riding is easy-paced now, I fear, my fitness has really plummetted this past year, and my mental state to match.  :'(   At least it was good to pootle the familiar country lanes, cast an eye over the spring flowers dotting the verges.  Also to go in shirtsleeves for almost the first time this year (I get Friday afternoons off from work and I don't wear cycle kit to commute).

I must keep at it!  I'm letting the cycling slip and, really, it's my lifeline.

Re: At last, I can post something...
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:14:39 pm »
Keep 'em turning.
Stropping rocks

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:21:21 pm »
...about cycling!  Getting a bit weary, of spending all my time in - let's say - another part of YACF...

Actually, not much of a report, but just went out for a modest, easy paced 20-miler with a fair bit of breeze and a few undulations.  All my riding is easy-paced now, I fear, my fitness has really plummetted this past year, and my mental state to match.  :'(   At least it was good to pootle the familiar country lanes, cast an eye over the spring flowers dotting the verges.  Also to go in shirtsleeves for almost the first time this year (I get Friday afternoons off from work and I don't wear cycle kit to commute).

I must keep at it!  I'm letting the cycling slip and, really, it's my lifeline.

I can understand that.

I get pretty miserable if I can't get out on my bike regularly.

H

Pete

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »
At least I've never dropped the commute.  All two miles of it... :-\

Pete

Update
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:09:43 pm »
Sorry this is getting a bit like a blog, but I need to set this down, if nothing else for my own record.

Well, I managed a bit more today, 35 miles.  My wife had to practically throw me out of the house this morning to get me to start, the motivation is down in the pits at the moment...  Not much to report of the ride, a fairly easy loop starting from my place, taking in Ringmer and Piltdown, all roads very familiar to me.  Some spectacular lightning-flashes around me but I managed to stay dry.  I expected to be slow, was aiming to complete it inside the 3 hour mark but had to settle for 7 or 8 minutes over.  I know my fitness is pants, like my morale.  My back was punishing me at times, but it's eased off now.  :-\

It'll take more than one or two rides to get the 'black dog' off my back and back to where I was a year ago.  But - ah well - 35 miles is something to boast about for me, and a lot better than 0 miles.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »
Well done Pete - the endorphins will soon kick in, and you'll be back for more.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:15:57 pm »
Well done Pete. The number of miles is surely not the point. Just being out there enjoying yourself is all that matters. (Same message to you Peli).

alan

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:20:05 pm »
Well done Pete - the endorphins will soon kick in, and you'll be back for more.

That's exactly what I was going to post  :).

I have hurt my back this morning earning brownie points doing the gardening so I won't be riding today despite the decent weather.
I am going to watch the cycling on Eurosport & then do 40 minutes of spin ups on  either the turbo or rollers in the garage.

Your effort gives me encouragement Pete :thumbsup:

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:28:42 pm »
You are all most kind.  Kinder than I deserve.  :-[

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:33:39 pm »
Kinder than I deserve.  :-[

Less of that talk!  Do you go around kicking the walking sticks away from little old women crossing the road?  No, you don't.  You're just down physically & mentally that's all, so any encouragement to feel better about yourself is a good thing.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
well done pete. i'm considering going for a blast in my lunch hour, just need to work out a route that is about half an hour to do.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Pete

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:11:36 pm »
well done pete. i'm considering going for a blast in my lunch hour, just need to work out a route that is about half an hour to do.
That is a very good idea, and exactly what I try to do each lunch-hour (well, try to get it in at least three times a week, but the management will keep on scheduling lunchtime meetings... to be honest I'd rather have the free cycle ride than the free lunch!)  In my case I'm lucky in that I can get onto country lanes in about five minutes, but I still only have about three or four alternative routes, all of which I know by heart of course.  ;)

Also my half-hour routes now take about forty minutes!  :'(