Author Topic: What is this Sign/Sticker ?  (Read 3020 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
What is this Sign/Sticker ?
« on: 16 April, 2008, 01:50:51 pm »
Have any of you ever seen and know what this is ? I was out walking (it happens) and saw that on a lamp post at the same hight where normally a sign saying national cycling route would be.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What is this Sign/Sticker ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:51:30 pm »
urm, any pics?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:54:09 pm »
urm, any pics?
I thought that as well, but inspecting the post there is an URL to an image.  Possibly it's using the referer URL to block access to the image.

If you still can't see it, here's a copy on my server.

I have no idea what it means either.
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:56:20 pm »
End of NCN route?

EDIT: Thinking about it, if it was a "end of route" sign it would surely indicate which route it is end of? So dunno
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:57:27 pm »
Probably local NIMBYs who don't want an NCN route going along their street...

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:58:54 pm »
Residents' protest at the prospect of lots of silent eco-friendly traffic roaring pootling past their doors?

Edit: snap!

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »
Probably local NIMBYs who don't want an NCN route going along their street...

That is what I think it might be. All those lycra louts dropping rubbish and slowing down traffic.

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:01:44 pm »
Just checked the Sustrans site (and in particular the document pertaining to signs, routes and bike parking).  No sign like that exists.  The lack of a white border sort of gave it away (that and the lack of a blue background, the route numbers only should be on a red field).

I agree with the NIMBY theory, maybe you should report it as fly-posting to your local council?

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:00:34 pm »
In a previous incarnation as a Sustrans ranger I used these signs (in fact I've still got a few lying about).

They are used to indicate that you are NOT on the National Cycle Network. For instance at a junction signposting may be tricky so you would stick one of these on the incorrect route. The idea being that a cyclist would see one of these signs, realize they'd made a wrong turn and backtrack to the proper route. But if nobody knows what it means it ain't a hell of a lot of use.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

tiermat

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:02:18 pm »
Ah, makes sense Cyclops, thanks for that