Author Topic: TdF 2010 - Comments and possible spoilers  (Read 70287 times)

Re: TdF 2010 - Comments and possible spoilers
« Reply #550 on: 24 July, 2010, 05:22:24 pm »
I don't like Contador, but you cannot deny that he's an outstanding cyclist, having won both the Vuelta, Giro and Tour the same year and seemingly keeps on winning the tour. That alone makes him a better rider than Lance ever was.

won all 3 but not all in the same year :)

tdf 2007, 2009,
vuelta, giro 2008, year he was excluded from le tour
tdf 2010 baring accidents etc

In light of several comments appearing here suggesting drug taking, I think it's important to point out that Contador himself wasn't excluded from le Tour. The team he signed for was excluded for their past behaviour, which was before Contador signed for them.

« Reply #551 on: 24 July, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »
In my Cycle Sport magazine that visited the 4 major contenders whilst training for the tour, it mentions that Contador has a very high anaerobic threshold.  It would appear that he is a 'special' person not dissimilar to Evans or Armstrong.

lemonjiffy

« Reply #552 on: 24 July, 2010, 06:08:23 pm »
I don't like Contador, but you cannot deny that he's an outstanding cyclist, having won both the Vuelta, Giro and Tour the same year and seemingly keeps on winning the tour. That alone makes him a better rider than Lance ever was.

won all 3 but not all in the same year :)

tdf 2007, 2009,
vuelta, giro 2008, year he was excluded from le tour
tdf 2010 baring accidents etc

In light of several comments appearing here suggesting drug taking, I think it's important to point out that Contador himself wasn't excluded from le Tour. The team he signed for was excluded for their past behaviour, which was before Contador signed for them.

not suggesting dope here at all, just that he wasnt allowed to race in 2008 and won all 3 but not the same year, in which case i may have been suggesting dope ;D

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #553 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:40:40 am »
The clip here about 'On the Podium' is most amusing...
   News & Video - Tour de France 2010 - Cycling - ITV Sport
Aero but not dynamic

lemonjiffy

« Reply #554 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:51:11 am »
contador seems to be suggesting he may go for the giro vuelta double again next season, though cant see him missing the tour myself

« Reply #555 on: 25 July, 2010, 09:53:07 am »
Wow, I'd missed all those videos.  I might be some time  ;D ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #556 on: 25 July, 2010, 05:52:29 pm »
That was some finish.. He made everyone else look distinctly ordinary.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #557 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:41:58 am »
And if Petacchi gets DQ'd as a result of the Italian drugs investigation he gets the green too.
Aero but not dynamic

Martin

« Reply #558 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:20:24 pm »
I always find the last day a bit boring and ceremonial; after all the winner rides around with a glass of champagne before the stage has even started

I believe it's down to the fact that France was humiliated in the 1989 finish when Lemond beat Fignon in the ITT to win the GC

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #559 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »
That was some finish.. He made everyone else look distinctly ordinary.

It's interesting the way the head-on camera angle they use on most stage finishes tends to make it look very close, but the side-view tracking camera they use on the Champs Elysee gives a much better impression of how much faster he is than anyone else. Phenomenal.

Must be on drugs. ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

« Reply #560 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »
That was the shot where it is panning Hushovd as he starts to sprint, and you see petacchi coming onto his shoulder and are just starting to ask your self "Where's Ca..." and before the words can be spoken the Manx missile is flying across the back of shot like a rocket.

Absolutely fantastic..

..d

Fi

« Reply #561 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:57:24 pm »
It was, it made me burst out laughing - he just came from nowhere ......zooooooooom

citoyen

« Reply #562 on: 26 July, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »
it made me burst out laughing

Me too!

d.

« Reply #563 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »
That was the shot where it is panning Hushovd as he starts to sprint, and you see petacchi coming onto his shoulder and are just starting to ask your self "Where's Ca..." and before the words can be spoken the Manx missile is flying across the back of shot like a rocket.

Absolutely fantastic..

..d

:o  :thumbsup:  ;D

« Reply #564 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »
The money shot of the Tour I reckon, amazing speed and his style on the bike was so forward too.

« Reply #565 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pyNFr-x1dOU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pyNFr-x1dOU&rel=1</a>

At 1 min 22 Ned asks Mr Cavendish if he can compare his two very different wins on the final stage in the Tour.
He laughs and throws it straight back at him.  Mr C is getting more and more likeable.

David Martin

« Reply #566 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »
Talking of money, the UCI have fined Radioshack for the jersey debacle. Mostly due to the disruption of the race and TV schedules. However, they have stated that they appreciate the reason behind the jersey change and will donate the fines to the Swiss League against Cancer.

« Reply #567 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:38:49 pm »

Absolutely fantastic..

..d

That was exactly what I was thinking as I watched it. He's just unbelievably fast. The overhead shot was good too, showed how far ahead he was by the time he got to the line at least a bike length.

David Martin

« Reply #568 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »

Absolutely fantastic..

..d

That was exactly what I was thinking as I watched it. He's just unbelievably fast. The overhead shot was good too, showed how far ahead he was by the time he got to the line at least a bike length.

One bike length - but one of these bikes..

« Reply #569 on: 26 July, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »
 ;D

citoyen

« Reply #570 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:06:02 pm »
One bike length - but one of these bikes..

Columbia's lead-out secret rumbled!

I can just imagine Tony Martin on the front, with Maxime Monfort behind, then Michael Rogers, Mark Renshaw and finally Cav. There's a secret switch he can flick to detach his section as they approach the line and launch himself off like a Sidewinder.

d.