Author Topic: Superdomestiques  (Read 2642 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Superdomestiques
« on: 27 September, 2011, 12:20:18 pm »
Spurring off from the discussion about Wiggin's amazing effort to get Cavendish the World Championship, I was jus thinking that there were so many discussions about whether Merckx or Armstrong was the greatest cyclist ever* and so on, but very little of the hard work put in by the rest of the team to support the big name.

So, who do you think is the best ever water carrier?  Who selflessly gave everything time and again so someone else could get the win?  What's the furthest anyone's gone to protect their star rider?**

* It's Merckx.  No question

** Besides cheating by providing urine samples in their place, as has happened.
Getting there...

Re: Superdomestiques
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »
It tends to be a two way street. Wiggins is a team leader, and in a big Tour he will be found in the lead-out train for his sprinter, because that sort of interval training is needed for top form. So I wouldn't count him as a domestique. Are you talking about a talented loyal lieutenant, someone who has the legs to win, but not the heart, and lives through someone else.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »
Sean Yates
Jens Voigt

fuzzy

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:50:25 pm »
Another vote for jens Voigt.

George Hincapie?

Mark Renshaw?

Andre Griepel?

rdaviesb

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »
The Jensfather.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2011, 02:45:46 pm »
What's the furthest anyone's gone to protect their star rider?

Greg Lemond rode sacrificed his own chances of winning the TdF in 1985 to support Hinault.

Chris Froome sacrificed his chances of winning this year's Vuelta for Brad.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
Eddy Schepers, Stephen Roche's right-hand man in the glory year and the only one of his team who supported him in the Giro (though Robert Miller from another team helped out too).  Support not only included the usual duties, but also trying to protect him from physical (punching and spitting) and verbal abuse which came from the public and, in some instances, his own team 'mates'.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2011, 12:20:49 pm »
I always remember Gerard Rue working his ***** off for Miguel Indurain in the TDF  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Rollapaluza Bag Boy

« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
Jerremy Hunt very under rated pro started off supporitng Indurain at Banesto........true Devon hero on a bike

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:06:47 pm »
Charly Wegelius. 11+ years as a pro cyclist, never won anything.

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »
Charly Wegelius. 11+ years as a pro cyclist, never won anything.

And, unfortunately, more likely to be remembered for being a great domestique for the Italian national squad at the 2005 Worlds.   :facepalm:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:41:57 am »
Van Summeren, although he took a great victory as well in Paris-Roubaix. Often to be seen towing the bunch for km after km. David Millar does a good job when needed as well.

Going back - Steve Jones - superdommy for Kelly and Planckaerts etc, then for ANC in UK. Not always recognised - but ask any rider he rode with!

Plenty more I'm sure, but these come to mind straight away.

« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
Wasn't it Miguel Indurain who turned around and retraced to get back to Pedro Delgardo in the TDF when he was a domestique?
I wouldn't call Wiggins a domestique. He would be the right man for that job and would be one of the best in the world. Not many could get past him and stay there for very long when he's at full tilt, let alone sit on his wheel. He's not a sprinter though. If he could do a solo breakaway he'd have a good chance of wining. Having Cavendish there to finish off is probably more of an insurance incase any other sprinters jump on.

« Reply #13 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:44:03 am »
There's a hierarchy among domestiques as well - we all notice the guys who hammer it in the last 10K for their leader but don't see the folks who've taken the wind for the previous 100K. World Champs a great example - Wiggins rightly got big raps for his efforts but he'd had a relatively easy ride for 200K while others (Miller et al) drove the peloton.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

fuzzy

« Reply #14 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:02:22 am »
There's a hierarchy among domestiques as well - we all notice the guys who hammer it in the last 10K for their leader but don't see the folks who've taken the wind for the previous 100K. World Champs a great example - Wiggins rightly got big raps for his efforts but he'd had a relatively easy ride for 200K while others (Miller et al) drove the peloton.

I think that is more to do with physiology (sp?) than hierarchy. Wiggo is probably more able to put in a destructive effort at the front for 10-20 kms after 150kms than other domestiques who can do their thing earlier in the parcours.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
I dont remember the names but didnt one domestique agree to have a toe removed because his TL hadto have  one removed ,not sure if this qualifies him as a super domestique or just a daft twat. ::-)
Oh and the Badger for Lemond ;)

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2011, 12:44:29 am »
I dont remember the names but didnt one domestique agree to have a toe removed because his TL hadto have  one removed ,not sure if this qualifies him as a super domestique or just a daft twat. ::-)

The first was Apo Lazarides, domestique to Rene Vietto. As to Hinault being anyone's domestique, get real. Hinault rode for himself and no other. Lemond's no1 rival in the 1986 Tour was the Toad, Badger. Hinault is still my fave ever faux team mate. Lemond earned that win and it was one of the best ever Tours. If you are young YMMV.
Working my way up to inferior.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2011, 10:31:16 am »
. As to Hinault being anyone's domestique, get real.

You failed to notice the wink emotion then ::-)