Author Topic: The Archers  (Read 70989 times)

Re: The Archers
« Reply #100 on: 29 November, 2012, 07:51:03 pm »
I seem to recall a cycle race between Rhys and Harry that was cut short when a drunken teenager stole a car from outside the Bull and mowed the two of them down?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The Archers
« Reply #101 on: 29 November, 2012, 10:37:35 pm »
Harry suddenly remembered he was gay

He was probably the only person in the whole of Ambridge who didn't know.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #102 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:45:47 am »
I am currently on a State Visit to Ambridge (Mrs. Wow's Sunday morning fix) and the "relationship" between Helen and some bloke called Rob (or was it Richard?) has featured.

I am hereby predicting an Ambridge Murder. You read it here first...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #103 on: 02 November, 2014, 11:03:52 am »
Last time there was a murder it was blocked at the last minute: http://ht.ly/CKIeX

But anything could happen now, after the silly "dumped at the altar" story.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #104 on: 03 November, 2014, 01:53:19 pm »
Ah, while we're on matters Ambridge, Charlie Thomas. Did he and Adam have a night of unbridled wossname after the Hunt Ball?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #105 on: 03 November, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »
I heard some of the Archers yesterday for the first time in ages. Good grief. No wonder I gave it up.

Roy and Elizabeth?

ROY?

And ELIZABETH?

WTAF???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #106 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #107 on: 03 November, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »

« Reply #108 on: 04 November, 2014, 06:53:46 am »
Sausage king Tom Archer went upstairs to Canada and will return as someone else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29878050
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #109 on: 04 November, 2014, 09:04:39 am »
Poor Pat - first her husband, now her son too?

« Reply #110 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:34:05 pm »
I heard tonight's episode by accident, I don't think I have listened deliberatively in years. I somehow suspect I wasnt supposed to laugh.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #111 on: 03 December, 2014, 09:24:54 am »
Is the bull that trampled Tony down the same one? Or has that been replaced yet? "Mooooooooo!" Hang on. Wait a minute. That's a different "Moo."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #112 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:20:06 am »
Does the length of the moo indicate the distance the cow fell after it slipped off the roof?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #113 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:17:26 pm »
The Archers was on the radio and I was talking to at Mrs. B, as we drove down to Llandysul last Friday, about the fact that the reason Tom was in Canada is because the actor had been "sacked".  It seems the producers are not wanting to keep people who have grown into the cast list because they played a tiny child and then grew up with the role. 
Anyway, minutes after, "Tom" made a dramatic re-entrance.  Bit of a coincidence!

So, new actor
Completely diferent voice.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #114 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:26:16 pm »
It seems the producers are not wanting to keep people who have grown into the cast list because they played a tiny child and then grew up with the role. 

Yes, apparently they prefer "proper" actors who've been to drama college and everything. What they seem to be doing in reality is populating the cast with plummy public school accents. Same thing happened to Pip, went to Uni, came back sounding 10 years older and 10 times posher.

Anyway, minutes after, "Tom" made a dramatic re-entrance.  Bit of a coincidence!

So, new actor
Completely different voice.

And he sounds almost the same as Charlie Thomas! Surely the first rule of radio drama is that the characters are distinguishable without the script having to repeat their name every second sentence?

citoyen

« Reply #115 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
Same thing happened to Pip, went to Uni, came back sounding 10 years older and 10 times posher.

The latest incarnation of Pip is a vast improvement on the previous model - sounds much less drama school and even has a Regional Accent! (albeit not necessarily an authentic one, in true Archers fashion)

They'd better not replace Fallon. I don't know what it is about her voice but it works for me.

« Reply #116 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:01:20 pm »
I think everyone's missing the point though: Isn't the elephant in the room (snug at the Bull etc etc),  that "The Archers" will simply self-destruct once Ruth (ooh noo) and David move off up to Northumbria? or will Tony return from hospital as a space-time-warping mystery being creating a wormhole between Ambridge (wherever in the westMidlands/Southwestern slurry-corridor that is) and the Cheviots?

I rant as an almost lifetime dipper in to theprogramme who can never ever tell WTF is going on ever.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #117 on: 05 March, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
Anyone been listening to this tripe rubbish bollocks er … mirror of everyday folk? I thought it was supposed to reflect, from an agricultural side of things, what's happening in 'real' life. So where else in Britain are we suffering from floods on a Biblical scale? From the microphonic wailing, gurgling, off-mic shouting … "Tom! He's drowned!!" "No I haven't!" "Ruth! Don't leave!!" it sounds curtains for one or two (fingers crossed more) members of the Archers!

Dun Dun Dah!!!!

So …  an excuse for an Editorial cull. Who will go!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #118 on: 07 March, 2015, 04:06:36 pm »

So …  an excuse for an Editorial cull. Who will go!

With any luck the editorial team.

I thought The Archers had jumped the shark at the Tom & Brenda wedding, but this is taking the piss.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #119 on: 06 March, 2016, 05:26:56 pm »
I see that YACF, not having added to this thread for a year, is clearly missing out. What we urgently need to discuss is...

Rob Titchener.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #120 on: 06 March, 2016, 05:39:22 pm »
I see that YACF, not having added to this thread for a year, is clearly missing out. What we urgently need to discuss is...

Rob Titchener.

But it now seems his mother is as manipulative as he is. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #121 on: 06 March, 2016, 05:58:30 pm »
Nothing really to discuss.
A programme that has been part of my life for about 45 years is now so fucking irritating and crap that I've not bothered with it for about a year.  Can't see me bothering again.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #122 on: 06 March, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »
The shark has been repeatedly jumped in the last couple of years, along with cramming in almost every soap cliche in the script-writers' manual.  But what did it for me was two new-commer middle-class brats Rex and Toby Fairbrother (again fresh from central casting) calling each other "bro". This must be the Archers appealing to the younger demographic... presumably.

The whole point about the Archers used to be that very little happened.  I preferred it that way.
The sound of one pannier flapping

citoyen

« Reply #123 on: 06 March, 2016, 06:53:27 pm »
I haven't deliberately listened to the Archers for quite a while but my wife still listens so I catch it occasionally. The whole Rob Titchener storyline seems to be horribly plausible but I got bored of Helen and her horrible boyfriends a long time ago.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #124 on: 06 March, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
We tend to dip in and out of listening - the whole Rob Tichenor (and now his mother) thing is getting tiresome - it's gonna explode fairly soon but difficult to predict how.  Helen's father seems to be slowly, possibly getting the idea ... I think.

It's all a bit of an Archersfest here in Stratford-upon-Avon - David Troughton lives here as do the women who play Lillian and Kathy Perks ... and the former editor Vanessa Whitburn lived in the next street to us.

I guess we ought to be loyal listen more as my wife's maiden name was Philippa Archer - known to her family as Pip - yes, really - and when I met her she had a house (small, modern, in Solihull) called Brookfield  :)

Rob