Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299063 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
[2] I may be mis-remembering here but it had pictures of furry animals with long arms and crazy American jokes in it.

I think I may still have that book somewhere up in the attic with all my uni notes...:-)

I'm attempting an upgrade the family laptop to windows 8.1 as windows 8 is seemingly unable to untwist its knickers about the upgrades it wants but can't get to stick. I'm amused that the "untick if you don't want us to spam you" control is on the page headed "we want to check that you're a human". Seems at least as reliable as captchas to me.

Of course, quite why an upgrade process needs a human at the end of it (or for me to sign up for yet another account) is beyond me. In my view, a pretty reliable indicator of a system that is going to be more trouble than its worth is forcing human interaction to do basic admin.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
It's taken me the best part of a morning to set up a laptop for colleagues cos the fucking university won't provide a computer+network point for them to use with students in the "meeting room".  We also have to manually order a dongle for net connectivity cos the fucking university won't extend the wifi coverage to their part of the building.

Have finally managed to make citrix work and that means we can get local files and our case management database if you don't mind it being slow and cranky as fuck. 

I hate this bodging. This should be a proper wired networked desktop supported by central IT, not a bodge job from me poking things with sticks till it works.

Also, M$, fuck off, stop spamming me, don't make me have to have a Microsoft login wankshit to activate the copy of office we paid for (and now probably don't need cos it won't work with Citrix stuff and there is sort of citrixy office already)...   

At least in the "this is how your bodge stuff is going to work" I can tell $colleagues S and K where the cranky bodges are and say "Reasons you do not wish explained cos you'll get bored" and they'll accept that and be appreciative.

I have a second machine to set up but that one doesn't need so much, just dyslexia screening software which I need to usertest and not on the day it's being used for screenings, so not today!

I am not a sysadmin, HONEST!

eta: Oh "Windows cannot search for more updates cos you have to REBOOT again and again and again until eternity yahahahahahaha shit absence of package manager fuckingfail"  *reboots* 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Footnote to the above post:  By "dongle", she really does mean the cellular kind (I checked).  They really are paying mobile rates to connect this machine, because someone can't be arsed to run a cable to the next room, or string another wifi access point up, or whatever.

It's almost as if it took them 6 years to sort the fire alarm out...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Watching HDD regenerator work on a laptop drive.

Anyone got a spare sata 320 or bigger 2.5 inch drive?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
New work computer (I finally have a laptop, so I don't have to dig my own prehistoric one out of the cupboard at home when I need to leave my desk).

It needs some considerable fettling before it's set up just how I like it, but I'm logged into YACF and I've got my nice picture of the white horse at Westbury on the desktop, so that'll do for now.

This week I met Liz and Eben Upton of Raspberry Pi fame.
I only had a short moment to say hi, and congratulate them on their achievements.

I am sure that I made a complete tool fanboy of myself.  But still I got to meet them, which is kind of cool.
Just someone's butler

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The guy who invented paperclips should be awarded an honorary fellowship of the IEEE.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The guy who invented paperclips should be awarded an honorary fellowship of the IEEE.

:D :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ain't it wonderful how a client can, with just two lines of atrocious grammar containing two nebulous (and possibly ambiguous and/or mutually-incompatible) requirements, cause you to write two pages of precise questions to find out exactly what he meant?

And ain't it wonderful how he'll only find it in him to write an ambiguous reply to just one of them?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Apple stop nagging me to upgrade to Yosemite every time I open Keynote. Yes I know I absentmindedly clicked the iCloud drive (I've no idea) option during an iOS upgrade but asking me to upgrade to something that doesn't yet exist is about as useful as telling me this function requires a unicorn.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Code: [Select]
tracert -h 100 216.81.59.173
(click to show/hide)

;D ;D ;D

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Recently I begrudgingly signed up for another Faceache account, as there are some events which are only listed there.

Unsurprisingly, most of the "Add people you know" suggestions are people I've known in the past - old bosses, people I was friends with on my old facebook account, and so on. But weirdly it's also quite (incorrectly) insistent that I'm friends with a West Ham-supporting glamour model. We've no friends in common, either.

Time to see who it isn't suggesting that you know. The obvious conclusion being that they are currently posing as a west ham supporting glamour model   ;)

Just how much of a hardship would it be to become friends with a West Ham-supporting glamour model?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I'm waiting for her to make the first move. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
If you write with indelible ink on a blank CD before burning it you get a spiffy lettering effect as the ink is flung to the periphery of the disc.  Looks way cool when molishing an mp3 disc of for e.g. Monster Magnet to listen to in the motor-car.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I rescued a hard drive from a second-hand computer that a friend is throwing away.  Amongst files left from the previous previous owner, it contains scans of CVs, bank statements, driving licences and birth certificates - everything needed for identity theft!

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but do remember to any wipe drive that you're disposing of, or failing that, hit it wiv an ammer.

This one is only a 30 GB 3.5" IDE - of no use to me and not even worth the cost of posting to anyone, so I'll wipe it and bin it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
The read head actuator of old HDDs can be a useful source of high strength magnets :).
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
The magnets in this drive aren't all that impressive (and can't be separated from the thingy), but I got a lot of nice Torx screws from it.  :thumbsup:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I'm having my usual approximately-half-yearly craving for a new computer. Last time, I shut it up with an eBay CPU upgrade and some RAM, but it started with remembering I had an old late-90s iMac gathering dust in mum's loft and now I'm looking longingly and wistfully at the Fruitbook Air.

I'm sure it'll pass. I hope.

As an aside, does anyone have any ideas for cool things I can do with a strawberry pink 233mhz G3 iMac?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
No, I have a working G4 450 (upgraded CPU) 1999 era fruitbox sitting behind me from my uni days (I did chemistry so DSA paid for it, I never had that kind of quids and it outlasted my friends' computers by about 3x). 

Working my way up to inferior.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm having my usual approximately-half-yearly craving for a new computer. Last time, I shut it up with an eBay CPU upgrade and some RAM, but it started with remembering I had an old late-90s iMac gathering dust in mum's loft and now I'm looking longingly and wistfully at the Fruitbook Air.

I'm sure it'll pass. I hope.

As an aside, does anyone have any ideas for cool things I can do with a strawberry pink 233mhz G3 iMac?
I have its identical twin,festering under the dining room table...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Episode 6 of Aussie conspiracy thriller "The Code": a cop identified only by his chest camera is "Sgt. L. Torvalds" :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime