Author Topic: Cape'd crusader  (Read 1957 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Cape'd crusader
« on: 27 October, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »
Yes! T'was raining today, quite hard, and I got very wet last time it rained. So.....I have a top notch Showers Pass  jacket,  and a older Karrimor Paclite gore jacket, but didn't think either would cover enough of me on t'hilda. I put on some cheapo waterproof leggings, thin plastic lined ones, and dug out my old smaller cycling cape. I know it been said that it won't work on a 'bent, but 34km in heavy rain, and I was just a tad moist underneath the cape, well it was 13 degrees. All I had on was a long sleeve 80's acrylic knit cycling jersey, and I rolled the sleeves up to my elbows. Warm as toast, despite spend 20 mins faffing around with a flat, in the rain, half way round.  (Wasn't a visit, but a split tube, where it had been installed years ago with a fold, and yes I did repair it there and then, with my biggest patch, hiding it under my cape to dry off  ;))

How did I do it?   well I took a bungee, and pierced a small hole through the center of each of the 2 re-inforcing tabs, where the thumb loops fitted. then I passed the bungee under the boom, in front of the forks, then hooked each hook in the new holes, from the outside so that the elastic holds the cape down. Then when sitting down I gather the excess front cape that lies twixt knees, and tucked it under , as I sit down.  Hands aren't covered, but mirror isn't obscured. Felt so comfortable, even when the rain stopped for a while.  I shall keep in on the bike now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cape'd crusader
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:23:33 pm »
Being bat man is a brave admission in 2020.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2020, 11:11:03 pm »
I think I can picture some of how that works. Photo(s)? please?
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2020, 11:29:56 pm »
You should have demonstrated this at Stourprot[1] on Saturday.   Plenty of photos elseweb of people looking all kinds of BRITISHLY miserable in the heavy rain.  ;D

[1] Other typos are available.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2020, 07:12:06 am »
You should have demonstrated this at Stourprot[1] on Saturday.   Plenty of photos elseweb of people looking all kinds of BRITISHLY miserable in the heavy rain.  ;D

[1] Other typos are available.

I had every intention of coming, but have just lost my sister, so was feeling a bit meh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2020, 08:28:14 am »
That's hard. Condolences.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2020, 02:08:46 pm »
Aw, that's awful.  Condolences.