Author Topic: Memory-Map / Garmin - Newbie Question  (Read 1918 times)

alexnugget

Memory-Map / Garmin - Newbie Question
« on: 22 March, 2009, 04:36:30 pm »
Hello All.

I am a complete newbie so please excuse my ignorance.
Having recently signed up to do the Lnodon to Paris cycle ride I decided to treat myself to a GPS to aid my training. After a good deal of thought I opted for the Garmin Oregon 300 as I only wanted the GPS part not HRM etc. To complement this I purchased a 4GB card which fits nicely inside.
My Dad has (very generously) treated me to Memory-Map landranger for the south of England which I have installed on my XP PC.
After initial connection problems I now have the PC recognising the Garmin (K Drive) and the card (M Drive) as soon as they are connected by USB.
I have now also downloaded a track to the Garmin which I have successfully followed today (sorry I am rambling).
The question I have is - How do I download the actual map to the Oregon. Today I have being following roads etc that the unit's basemap doesn't even know is there and turns don't look like turns when the other road isn't on the map.
One of the main reasons that I bought the Oregon is because I thought that I would be able to see the detailed maps on the screen - is this possible or am I just deluded?
I can send the maps to the Oregon and can find them on the unit via windows explorer but the Garmin does not do anything with them and there does not seem to be a load map option or similar option within the menu.

Any help would be very gratefully received,

Thanks,
Alex

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Memory-Map / Garmin - Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2009, 05:30:54 pm »
Check OpenStreetMap coverage for your area, then if it's up to scratch, download my Garmin map for the UK and Bob's your uncle.  Link's in the sig. 

If coverage isn't up to scratch, either contribute or go spend money ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
Note that, for planning purposes, Memory Map do France as well, in fact their IGN of all France is something of a bargain, as map software goes.  Though Google Maps is also very good for planning.

For your London-Paris project, possibly the best bet (without embarking on a steep learning curve) will be to hope some helpful person here will make you a OSM file to cover the requisite area, that you can then copy to your SD card.  OSM is currently rather incomplete in Northern France, so you may be lucky with your precise roads, or you may not.  If not - bring back a track!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

alexnugget

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:20:12 pm »
Hi guys and thanks for the answers.

It's not the France area that I need - it's really the New Forest area where I will be training that I require better maps for.
Any ideas?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:34:47 pm »
.... err, about £7 will get you one of those folded paper things  of the New Forest - problem solved  ;D

Seriously, I'm an a avid Memory Map + Garmin Legend HCx user ... and as said up-thread the French IGN CD for Mem Map is fantastic value

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:42:50 pm »
Check out the link Andy Gates pointed you at.  Free and bloody brilliant.

Free maps for Garmin thread

It's a lengthy read but a very rewarding one.   :thumbsup:

alexnugget

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:04:26 pm »
Awesome - will do - thanks all