Author Topic: Is it worth buying maps with a Garmin GPS?  (Read 5067 times)

321up

• 59° N
Is it worth buying maps with a Garmin GPS?
« on: 20 June, 2015, 08:57:27 am »
Am I right in thinking that maps bought for one Garmin can't be used with another one?

Is there any advantage to using Garmin maps compared with open source maps?

What maps do you use on your Garmin?

Thanks.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Is it worth buying maps with a Garmin GPS?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2015, 01:21:13 pm »
I use OSM routable, and much prefer it to the OS map supplied with my Edge 800.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2015, 01:38:17 pm »
Am I right in thinking that maps bought for one Garmin can't be used with another one?
Depends on what maps you buy. If you buy them on an SD card, then they are locked to the card. So will work in any Garmin you put the card in, but won't work if you copy them onto another card.
If you buy the maps on DVD or as a download, then they are locked to one device. So won't work if you install them on another device.

As for what maps, depends on where you are, and what you want to use them for.
OpenStreetMap is generally very good for most of the UK, often more up to date and accurate than Garmin's maps. And OSM maps for Garmin are available in a variety of different styles, so you can pick one you like.
I usually use the Generic routable new style from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ (plus contour lines).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »
I use three OSM variants on my eTrex units.

I have a generic OSM routable of the UK which I use for cycling here,  a talkytoaster OS 50k styled OSM for walking, and an area of Openfietsmap OSM covering France, the Netherlands and Belgium.

I've never tried any paid-for mapping.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2015, 01:52:37 pm »
I use a version of OSM that I compile myself from the raw data. That way I can pick and choose what features are in it, so I don't get an icon for every single post box and war memorial in town centres.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »

You might prefer the different appearance and different information detail in some areas.  I enjoy having BOTH Garmin City Navigator and Open Street Maps, plus a contour lines map to overlay the Garmin.  But OSM alone is a good choice if you want to keep costs down.  It's good and getting better all the time.

It can take some technical trickery on some models to combine map files and yet have the maps switchable (like for my Edge 605).  Hopefully, it's simpler with more recent models (?).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »

What maps do you use on your Garmin?

Thanks.

fuaran pretty much nailed it wrt Garmin maps.

I used Garmin Topo maps for a long time but found them limiting because they are only very rarely updated. Last I saw they were still selling Topo v2, which I first bought in 2006. It also isn't good at navigating along anything you can't drive a car along, so where I lived it took me on lots of roundabout routes because it didn't know about the cycle lanes and cycle lane contraflows etc. So it would route me on a fairly long diversion because it didn't know about the pedestrian/cycle underpasses and bridges over the A3, for example.

When set in cycling mode the Topo maps on my old 60CSx avoided motorways and tried to avoid busy main roads, but sometimes that had unwanted side effects when it told me to turn right across the traffic on a main road, only to run parallel to the road for half a mile and then turn right across the traffic to get back onto the main road. The road in question has a 30mph speed limit and a cycle lane.

For the last several years I used OSM maps because they update often and are free. The downsides I found with OSM maps, aside from the proliferation of uninteresting icons Ben T mentioned, was that the routing was what I might describe as "interesting". I'd prepare a route in advance and upload it as a track because telling my GPS to find a route would often result in spectacularly roundabout routes and spectacularly inappropriate routes. Set to cycling mode it knew I was allowed to use bridlepaths. One such path it routed me down was two inches of water over about four inches of wet mud, barely 12 inches wide with six foot high stinging nettles on both sides. Another path was dry but barely visible between the stinging nettles, and it had six foot high metal poles obstructing the entrance and a "No Cycling" sign on it. For local rides that's not necessarily an issue but when I was trying to plan a long route with OSM I didn't want to find myself faced with the choice between two miles of a hideously muddy bridlepath or a detour taking in the busiest roads in the areas. And of course if you put it into regular driving mode, it quite correctly reported that the best route to where I was going was to take the M3.

I haven't updated my OSM maps for a couple of years now so they may have improved substantially in that time. Complaints aside, if you're not using them for routing they're a good option to go with, and if you find a road/trail/whatever that is wrong or missing you can update the maps yourself.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2015, 06:42:08 am »
Depends on what maps you buy. If you buy them on an SD card, then they are locked to the card. So will work in any Garmin you put the card in, but won't work if you copy them onto another card.
If you buy the maps on DVD or as a download, then they are locked to one device. So won't work if you install them on another device.

Having maps locked to a card is more sensible than having them locked to a device.  I assume the maps that are bundled with Garmins are locked to the device.

Can the SD cards purchased with maps be used to store other maps as well or are they read only?

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2015, 06:47:58 am »
I use a version of OSM that I compile myself from the raw data. That way I can pick and choose what features are in it, so I don't get an icon for every single post box and war memorial in town centres.

:thumbsup:
How do you do that?  How can I learn how to do that?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:44:10 am »
Having maps locked to a card is more sensible than having them locked to a device.  I assume the maps that are bundled with Garmins are locked to the device.
Its not so sensible if you manage to damage or lose the card. These MicroSD cards are pretty tiny, and its easy to drop them. With some Garmins, there's a risk of them falling out when you change the batteries.
Its also possible to corrupt the data on the card, or accidentally delete files etc. It would be a good idea to make a complete backup of the card when you buy it. Then at least you can restore that backup to the same card if necessary.

Yes, I presume if the Garmin is bundled with maps on a card, then the maps will be locked to that card. Though many of the recent Garmins are bundled with OSM based maps, I don't know if these are locked in anyway.

Can the SD cards purchased with maps be used to store other maps as well or are they read only?
I think the cards are not read only. So yes, you can add other maps (or GPX files etc), so long as their is space available. The amount of free space will probably vary depending on what map product it is.
Though as above, it would be worth making a backup first. As adding more maps increases the chances of something getting corrupted.

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2015, 12:04:52 pm »
I purchased my Garmin 800 as a bundle with OS 1:50 000 Landranger maps.  The OS maps were great for walking but far too busy for cycling.

I then purchased Garmin City Navigator Europe NT on SD which has proved to be superb for UK audaxes and also for Europe (funny thing that!).

My recommendation would be to splash out on Garmin City Navigator Europe and does not cost all that much:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARMIN-Navigator-Europe-Micro-coverage/dp/B000MNA3BG

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2015, 01:21:10 pm »

Basically using mkgmap, I've written a wrapper round it which I've shared.
https://github.com/bjtaylor1/garminmaps

Quite possible you might need linux to do it , might be able to get it to work on Windows but I've never tried.

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

Quite possible you might need linux to do it , might be able to get it to work on Windows but I've never tried.

Oh interesting, using this presumably I can stop the map routing down paths and bridleways which drives me crazy at the moment.

Ben T

« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »

Oh interesting, using this presumably I can stop the map routing down paths and bridleways which drives me crazy at the moment.

Erm , depending how savvy* you are, yes, you can. And motorways. I may have already done it in the latest of that code however - so it might solve your problem as is without any editing on your part.

*it's not massively difficult but you do have to have a bit of appreciation of command line style software.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:36:39 pm »
Yep, that was easy. Will have a proper look through the options tomorrow.  Routing on osm has been bugging for a while and now I can sort it out.

contango

« Reply #15 on: 21 June, 2015, 11:07:27 pm »

Sounds like an interesting option. Wish I'd had that a few years back - I could have kept a map with bridleways tagged as fair routes and another copy with bridleways excluded, and just transferred the GPS between MTB and road bike by just switching maps.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:06:22 am »

Erm , depending how savvy* you are, yes, you can. And motorways. I may have already done it in the latest of that code however - so it might solve your problem as is without any editing on your part.

*it's not massively difficult but you do have to have a bit of appreciation of command line style software.

On a slightly different topic, is your route mapping website still live?

Now that Google maps has killed classic, I was looking for it and couldn't find it (my previous preferred option was Google for the route, then GmapToGpx for the route file)

« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:29:44 am »
Nope, cus the thing won't follow them anyway   ,,,  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 22 June, 2015, 04:03:24 pm »

Sounds like an interesting option. Wish I'd had that a few years back - I could have kept a map with bridleways tagged as fair routes and another copy with bridleways excluded, and just transferred the GPS between MTB and road bike by just switching maps.

Exactly what I'm playing at today

contango

« Reply #19 on: 22 June, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »
The thing I'd like on OSM is contours. Round here some hills go on for miles (literally) and it would be good to be able to see how far the top is.

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:35:56 pm »
Ok, non footpath and bridleway routing map, styled like velo maps now working. Next I'll tweak the road speeds so routing prefers the back roads.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:55:07 pm »
The thing I'd like on OSM is contours. Round here some hills go on for miles (literally) and it would be good to be able to see how far the top is.

You can get contours from http://www.smc.org.uk/downloads/contour-maps

Might gave a look at combining that tomorrow

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »
OSMs with contours already on are available somewhere as well.  Separate contours are useful for Garmin CN maps, though.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »
I have separate contours on my edge 800 and I usually turn them off, because the display resolution is too poor. The contours clutter the display.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:19:23 pm »
It can take some technical trickery on some models to combine map files and yet have the maps switchable (like for my Edge 605).  Hopefully, it's simpler with more recent models (?).

The new eTrex series will load multiple IMG files at the same time, so it's trivial to have multple maps on the card and select one to use on  the fly (including overlaying the SMC contour maps on Garmin/OSM).

On an older model you have to combine them all into a single IMG.  Probably the easiest way to do that is to have the maps installed in Mapsource and send them all to the device in one go, but there are other ways...