Author Topic: Bacon apple pie! Dare I make this?  (Read 1962 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Bacon apple pie! Dare I make this?
« on: 23 October, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
Proving once again that bacon really does make everything better « Eli Cooks

Lattice-Top Bacon Apple Pie

The bacon lattice really doesn’t want to stay tucked in around the edges of the pie. Be sure to include extra bacon sticking off the edge of the pie and tuck it down the inside of the crust to help mitigate this. Also, having a larger rim of pie dough to extend a bit further toward the center of the pie would probably help.
The quality of the bacon here matters. You want a bacon with a good amount of fat for the lattice top, since that’s replacing the butter usually included in apple pie filling. You also want a bacon with a good flavor when fried and eaten alone, because that’s almost what you have on top the pie.
I should also admit that I used store-bought pie crust. Honestly, I think the stuff you buy in rolls in the fridge case is almost as good as home made and a hell of a lot easier.

1 9″ pie crust
3 strips bacon, chopped and fried crispy
6-7 medium to large tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used a combination of Cortlands and Ida Reds)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp Scotch (I used Johnny Black. You want something noticeably smoky.)
1/2 cup real maple syrup
6-7 slices bacon, halved lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread the pie crust in a 9″ pie pan and leave the overhanging edges. Sprinkle the bacon crumbles over the crust.

Mix together the apple slices, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, cornstarch and scotch. Spread over the bacon in the pie crust. Pour the maple syrup evenly over the apples.

Arrange the strips of bacon over the top of the pie crust in a lattice, then fold the edges of the pie crust over the bacon and crimp.

Bake for about an hour, until the bacon on top is nicely crisp, the crust is browned and a knife pushes easily into an apple slice. (Happily, these should all happen at roughly the same time.)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bacon apple pie! Dare I make this?
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:59:43 pm »
Even thinking back to those days I ate bacon, and, given that I am well known as an apple pie fancier First Class (and Bar), that sounds totally Dis-Gus-Ting!
Getting there...

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
It just sounds wrong bacon sandwich followed by apple pie is much more appealing  :P

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »
Dis-Gus-Ting!

Did Gus come up with that???
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:36:47 am »
Why not?  Pork and apple is a lovely combination.  What would you have with it though: custard or mustard?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:43:31 am »
Dis-Gus-Ting!

Did Gus come up with that???

Nope  :D

But like Chris N says : pork and apple are a lovely combo. I just think it will be too sweet
for the bacon.

ChrisO

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:46:35 am »
I'd try it and I think it would be quite nice.

Bacon works surprisingly well with things like maple syrup, sweet pancakes and cooked bananas so I don't see why it wouldn't work with apple.

Unfortunately bacon is difficult to get in the UAE.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:21:26 am »
That looks yummy, Andy.  :D

I used to put a layer of sliced apple into my sausage pie - it made it more moist.  Sausage and apple pie with onion gravy... nom.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:39:04 am »
moist sausage eh?   :thumbsup:

I think the pie sounds great. I'm just confused as to when you are supposed to eat it - starter, main or pud!
It is simpler than it looks.