Author Topic: A Nice Hot Cup of Fail  (Read 10730 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
A Nice Hot Cup of Fail
« on: 11 July, 2008, 08:32:18 pm »

It may not look it, but this Siemens/Porsche coffee machine is the Worst Coffee Machine in the World.  It is a truimph of styling over functionality:  "Design" as only marketroids understand it, where functionality is sacrificed for "woo, shiny."  How can it be so bad?  Well...

It has two jugs, one for water and one for coffee.  Totally unnecessary, as anyone with a regular drip filter machine knows.  The coffee jug is a glass vacuum flask, so you can't just slosh out the old coffee and add cold water to take to the machine: the glass would crack.  So you have to take both.  Presumably, being a Porsche design, you have staff who open the doors for you.  Or staff who make coffee for you, the poor unlucky bastards.

But it gets worse.  It has two modes!  What for?  "Some" and "all" apparently - a feature rendered irrelevant when we're all savvy enough to use a half jug for half a jug of coffee (of course, unlike these steel jobbies, our dull old glass jugs let us see how much we've got).  So it's a button that has two modes: "satisfy" and "disappoint".  Wow, thanks for the opportunity to screw up.  Do these guys work for Microsoft?

But it gets yet worse!  The vacuum jug is, as you can see, totally opaque.  Sure, it looks like Boba Fett's codpiece but you can't tell by looking whether or not there's any freaking coffee in it!  Guess what: no cutout, so if you accidentally run more coffee into it because you couldn't see the coffee for all that steel wank, it will sluice all over your floor, computer, carpet, and that really expensive printer you've borrowed from the Xerox rep.

And there's a sealing lid (because with no hotplate you need to keep the heat in) so if you manage to traverse this caffeinated minefield without breaking anything, electrocuting yourself or just falling weeping against the wall,  you still can't get the godsdamned stuff out!  Luckily this overstyled failboat is docked on a cow-orker's desk, not mine.  Because if it was mine, I'd throw it out the window.

Has anyone got a worse coffee machine?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: A Nice Hot Cup of Fail
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »
Nope O:-) :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
Woo - shiny! :thumbsup: :D
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »
...aaaaand, breathe......
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:31:15 pm »
You do wonder sometimes though, that whilst people have been using a device for a long period of time, with no massive or significant issues, why someone had to redesign it, and in the process manage to introduce a whole mass of flaws, generally through little intelligent consideration of how it's going to be used.  If nothing else it suggests that they did bugger all testing of how well it would work in normal day to day use. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:34:18 pm »
Still shiny! :D
Getting there...

Pete

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:23:25 am »
Over-engineering!?  Tell me all about it!  Plenty of examples I could talk about, from my own working experience.  And another thing: once upon a time, my colleagues and I were shipped off to one of those off-site 'teambuilding' courses, run by an outfit of failed engineers superannuated geeks management 'consultants'.  The task we had set to us (after we had completed failed to complete the jigsaw): what else?  Form into teams and design a coffee machine in three hours flat!  With costings, projected volumes, and target delivery estimates, of course.  Our company, I should explain, has nothing whatsoever to do with the domestic appliance business.  Needless to say our offerings were hilarious!  My own team's effort, IIRC, proposed a moulding that would have cost over £2 million just to set up the tooling!

As far as coffee making is concerned, my trusty coffee machine which I keep on the desk at work looks like one of these.  Some may sneer that the coffee that comes out of it isn't as good as genuine espresso/filtré/latte/cappuwotsit.  I don't care: I like it.  And it's simple to use, simple to clean (just hold under the tap).  And I enjoy drinking cafetiere coffee: I merely politely tolerate instant coffee.  And look at the cost!

« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:26:45 am »

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:31:53 am »
And see also here.  An oldie but a good-un.  Several versions exist.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:39:10 am »
On a related note, from

Top Ten Worst Uses Of Windows

1. To display a static green arrow over the open TSA security lanes at Detroit Metro.

I kid you not, at the main security checkpoint to get into Detroit Metro there are monitors over each metal detector. The ONLY thing those monitors ever display is a big green arrow pointing down. Oh, occasionally they display a blue screen with a Windows error notice.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:51:38 am »
Liverpool One have a Windows system for customer info screens.

It is simpler than it looks.

Pete

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:52:18 am »
This thread is rapidly drifting towards Blinkenlights, but no matter, your call!  I feel I must relate about how I needed to borrow an oscilloscope recently from my hardware colleagues: a rare event: I don't get up close to the hardware as much nowadays as I used to.  Now when I were a lad, a 'scope was a box with a couple of amplifiers, a timebase generator, and a CRT screen.  When I switched on this state-of-the-art model, the first thing I saw was an XP Professional boot-up screen.  I could even have plugged in a keyboard and mouse if I'd so desired.  Having said all that, once I'd got past the boot-up and into the application, it was a good scope and performed OK: it did what I wanted of it....

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:52:44 am »
Windows is de rigeur for ATMs now.  They mostly used to run OS/2, but IBM finally, finally, pulled support just a few years ago.

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:20:01 am »
... I feel I must relate about how I needed to borrow an oscilloscope recently from my hardware colleagues ... first thing I saw was an XP Professional boot-up screen. ...

Yep, all of the scopes we've bought recently have been XP Prof based, both ones from LeCroy and Tektronixs ones.  It's a bit depressing, and they take a bit of time to boot up, but they do generally work rather well.

They worry me a bit, since they have network connections, so they could just be plugged into out network, but I won't let anyone do this, since the chances of them getting infected by viruses is waaay to great.  Of course, we would also have to worry about Windows update (and the chance of this killing the application software), and anti-virus software (and whether this would kill the performance of the machines).  Not really a problem per se, since if they are kept as discrete un-networked machines, they will work happily.

I guess on the plus side, using a mass market OS like XP has kept the price down, they are remarkably cheap given the performance and facilities they provide.

One surprising thing though, is that the documentation for them is crap.  They seem to have taken a hint from the PC market and provided Mickey Mouse documentation, unlike the incredible detailed and very useful manuals you used to get with scopes.

bikenerd

« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:35:06 am »
How we make coffee in the Uni department I work in:
Put 3 ozs of ground coffee in a big metal teapot.
Pour just off the boil water on it.
Give it a good stir. *
Wait 5 minutes.
Pour through a tea strainer into cup.

Of course, the "best" way of making coffee is the Moka express pot.  Unchanged since 1933, a true design classic, in a way that anything made by Porsche won't be!

* Being an atmospheric physics department, full of self professed nerds, we always flip open the lid, observe that the rotating coffee is an analogy to baroclinicity and that the eddies breaking away from the centre of the coffee and travelling towards the edge of the pot are similar to the eddies observed in the atmosphere due to baroclinic instability.  Fun and games! :)

« Reply #15 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
...Being an atmospheric physics department...

You're not upstairs from me are you?  In our department, the Atmospheric Physicists are above the Space Physicists, which always seems the wrong way around to me!

bikenerd

« Reply #16 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:43:50 am »
...Being an atmospheric physics department...

You're not upstairs from me are you?  In our department, the Atmospheric Physicists are above the Space Physicists, which always seems the wrong way around to me!

I don't think so!  We observe the correct order here:  Oceanographers in the basement, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics on the ground floor (along with their spinning buckets!), Atmospheric on the 1st floor, Earth Observation on the 2nd and Planetary on the top floor.   ;D

« Reply #17 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
Ah, I don't think we have any Oceanographers, and any planetary stuff is done either in Astrophysics or with us in Space Physics.  At least we are high up, we're on floor 6½ and Atmospheric are on 7.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:08:42 am »
I quite like the twin globe silex type vacuum coffee makers where the filter is a gorund glass plug. Very neat and elegant. Easy to clean as well.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pete

« Reply #19 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:41:06 am »
Of course, the "best" way of making coffee is the Moka express pot. 
I've got one of those!  Don't use it anymore though (I think it leaks)  :-[.  The only hazard with those, as I recall, was if you forgot about it and and left it on the hot ring after all the water had siphoned into the upper compartment.  Then the aluminium would start to melt.  I've seen that happen.  :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:45:51 am »
Yeah...

but...

but...

Shiny! :D
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 12 July, 2008, 01:22:43 pm »
Someone chain Clarion down before he buys one of the damn things!

I must dust off my little Moka pot.  A true design classic.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #22 on: 12 July, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »
A Swissgold One Cup filter does me at home Swissgold KF300 Permanent Coffee Filter - One Cup

Work is a 1.5L stainless insulated cafetiere,  shared with Dave.

Amazon.co.uk: Bodum 1312 Columbia Tea and Coffee Press-1.5ltr: Kitchen & Home

We take it in turns to buy the coffee from Hasbean.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #23 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:04:32 pm »
I used to use a plastic funnel from Halfords and a filter paper.  Damn fine coffee.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:43:12 pm »
You know that they introduced TV screens on London buses? Well they are gradually being removed as the windows machines keep crashing.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium