Author Topic: Salmiakkikossu - salt liquorice vodka  (Read 4842 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Salmiakkikossu - salt liquorice vodka
« on: 25 March, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »
This is what happens when Finns go near the sweet shop.

Take some grain booze.  Dissolve salt liquorice in it.  There are specific varieties to use, and a branded version, but the basic idea is simple enough to... try at home!  Of course I had to.

One large handful of Mr Simm's Double Salt liquorices and a half-bottle of average vodka later, the liquid is black and the sweeties are weird Poe jellyfish.  It smells like cough drops.

It tastes... wow.  A bolt of bitter liquorice carried on sweet solvent, then the sal ammoniac kicks in and it's a lip-smacking drool fest.

If you like big chunky tastes like cigars and brown sauce and chewing baccy and fisherman's friends, give it a go.

Well played, Finland, well played.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Salmiakkikossu - salt liquorice vodka
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »
Salmiakki also possesses slightly psychadelic properties, as I discovered about 10 years ago in a Helsinki nightclub, when I stumbled across somebody I recognised as being very familiar but couldn't quite place.

« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »
 Salmiakkikossu - try saying that after a few shots ... ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:30:44 am »
<cottons on to Pingu's request to bring salty black stuff back from the land of Nog this week....>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2012, 09:07:03 am »
salt liquorice tastes of fish, which is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

It would take a penguin to like it, I reckon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2012, 05:05:00 pm »
I remember being offered a taste of someone's Spunk on a CM ride a couple of years ago. One of the Scandinavian yacfers, iirc - woollypigs? I liked it.

Salty liquorice vodka sounds fantastic. I had a Norwegian beer recently, the flavour of which I would probably describe in similar terms - it was from the Nøgne Ø brewery, but I can't remember if it was the Imperial Stout or the Porter.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2012, 07:51:33 am »
Not just Finns.  My Swedish flatmate used to do this as well.  She used to stick all sorts of things in to voda.

The salty liquorice vodka is best served from the freezer, so it oozes out of the bottle.  :thumbsup:

Thinking about it, my Finnish other half liked the sweets - but he never put them in voda...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
Salmiakkikossu - try saying that after a few shots ... ;D

Its self regulating alcohol. Once you get to the point when you can no longer say it - its impossible to order more at the bar.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2012, 11:15:02 am »
I have some of Woolypig's Spunk that I'll consume later.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2012, 04:33:34 pm »
My son's cohabitee is of a Finnish persuasion and quite often when they venture towards the Arctic Circle, they bring me a bottle or two of Salmiakki.

I like it, it is good.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »
Opinions in the office park lunchbreak-with-contraband were sharply divided: one love, one like, two horrors and two too timid to try it.   ;D
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2012, 05:55:32 pm »
Don't Fishy Friends come in some weird Scandiwegian salty liquorice flavour that's considered too extreme to sell in the UK?  I'm sure I read that somewhere.  Thinking about it, it was probably on YACF...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »
Apparently so! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman%27s_Friend 

Anyone going norf?  :P

Jakob

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2012, 02:03:53 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_Peber

These were also mixed with vodka and was, as the article mentions, called "Sorte Svin" (Black Pigs), until a bit of common sense (and a drizzle of political correctness) caught up with it, as it was also often used as a racial slur.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2012, 09:56:18 am »
Apparently so! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman%27s_Friend 

Anyone going norf?  :P

Fisherman's Friend Salmiak Black Stripe available at Stavanger Duty free apptly, where I shall be in a couple of weeks.... (I forgot to look when I was there this week and got a 'look' from the Pingu.

Also available: 'Pingvin salty liquorice'

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

« Reply #16 on: 01 April, 2012, 11:28:56 am »
We are currently working our way through a large bar of slat liquorice chocolate given to us by our Swedish exchange student a couple of weeks ago, It is interesting ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.