Author Topic: Bubble and squeak..?  (Read 1873 times)

Bubble and squeak..?
« on: 25 December, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »
Any good recipes, for leftover brussels, roasties/parsnips, and carrots?    Just add flour, mash, and fry?

Seem to be some extravagant versions out there...
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/164622/bubble-and-squeak
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

John Henry

Re: Bubble and squeak..?
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »
Any good recipes, for leftover brussels, roasties/parsnips, and carrots?    Just add flour, mash, and fry?

Seem to be some extravagant versions out there...
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/164622/bubble-and-squeak

Making it complicated and extravagant sort of misses the point, really.

So yes, just add in whatever you've got, mash up roughly and fry. I like to get it nicely compacted in the pan, and get the bottom verging on burnt. YMMV. I don't usually need flour, but it's going to depend on what's in your mixture.

Serve with cold cuts and HP sauce.

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2012, 04:05:06 pm »
Thanks for this.  Tonight leftovers are going to bubble and squeak - also leftover, a pack of pigs in blankets... nom, nom, nom.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »
I mix the bits up in a food mixer. Occasionally add an egg to glue it together. Flour dusting.
It is simpler than it looks.

John Henry

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2012, 05:24:18 pm »
I realised some years ago that I enjoy Christmas dinner leftovers (ie cold meat & B&S) more than I enjoy the actual Christmas dinner.

Ungrateful peasant, I am.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
I realised some years ago that I enjoy Christmas dinner leftovers (ie cold meat & B&S) more than I enjoy the actual Christmas dinner.

Ungrateful peasant, I am.

I doubt it.
Plain turkey breast is only to be endured very occasionally. It needs much tarting to make it attractive. Such tarting is achieved either by 'all the trimmings', which you may not relish, or by frying up as B&S.

We had a chicken.
I prefer chicken. A turkey is too big for two and most 'turkey roast' jobs are either plain or putrid.

'Trimmings' go better with poultry than with the pork joint I would have otherwise cooked.
I am the ultimate peasant...

« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2012, 01:44:38 pm »
NT and I went out and bought more sprouts on Boxing Day (as part of a secret mission to get some up to date electrical bits to make a couple of my Mum's lamps safer), so yesterday morning we had brunch of bubble and squeak, bacon and egg - with the sprouts and potatoes cooked specially! Not quite leftovers, but lovely.

We're home now, and wondering how long before Mum spots the new switches...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »
The B&S was pretty good - possibly a little 'wet' before frying (relatively too many sprouts and carrots prolly).

We had turkey crown this year, in ovenable bag (Waitrose).  The great thing is that one can retrieve the retained juice, and make gravy; the best poultry gravy I've made...   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2013, 11:38:51 pm »

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2013, 09:43:38 am »
You guys are making me hungry. Never made bubble ans squeak before.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #10 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk