Author Topic: BT internet; two Qs - one technical, one commercial  (Read 622 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
BT internet; two Qs - one technical, one commercial
« on: 01 August, 2015, 11:28:58 am »
Commercial first - with whom is my "broadband unlimited" contract actually with. I want to be ready to take court action if they continue to fail to fulfil their contract.

Technical - how do I get broadband working? I have a router (not home hub) and a working phone line and a filter. The internet was supposed to be activated yesterday. But  it aint' working.

I have a Netgear router which seems to work fine - but not to the internet.

The control panel offers me lots of options such as this:

Internet IP Address
   Get Dynamically from ISP
   Use Static IP Address
   Use IP Over ATM (IPoA)
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
   Get Automatically from ISP
   Use These DNS Servers
   Primary DNS    . . .
   Secondary DNS    . . .
Router MAC Address
   Use Default Address
   Use Computer MAC Address
   Use This MAC Address    
NAT (Network Address Translation)

anyone know if BT is likely to run on the defaults or should I change something?

BT have been no 'kin help.

Re: BT internet; two Qs - one technical, one commercial
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2015, 12:11:33 pm »
This doesn't help but BT are f'in useless. every time I have any dealings with them ( and I've had a few recently , with moving house) they are really really crap. Nothing, and I mean nothing ever happens at the time they promise, and it takes days of chasing through call centre staff who read off scripts and have no product or technical knowledge to get anything done. The worst customer experience ever.

Doesn't help you , other than to know you aren't alone, and to just keep on at them.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: BT internet; two Qs - one technical, one commercial
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2015, 02:02:46 pm »
Have you opted for fibre broadband?  If so, a VDSL modem, either separate to your router or integrated with it (as in BT Home Hub 5) is required and should be supplied by BT.

If it's not fibre, then you need an ADSL modem/router - which may of course describe your Netgear.

Regarding the router settings, the defaults for those listed should work i.e.

Get dynamically...
Get automatically...
Use default...

I'd have thought your contract is with BT.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining