Author Topic: The Man Who Cycled The Americas  (Read 9397 times)

The Man Who Cycled The Americas
« on: 18 March, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
Heads up.

Mark (Round the World) Beaumont
BBC1 - Tues 23 March 22:35
Part 1 of 3

He rides from Alaska to Argentina.
Working my way up to inferior.

Re: The Man Who Cycled The Americas
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2010, 03:36:31 pm »
 8)

I've been eagerly awaiting this.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
I'm really looking forward to it, too. I followed him on Twitter which was really amazing, you felt so involved. So I'm really looking forward to the show.

He's doing a sort of promotional tour at the moment and I'd go, but the choice of venues in Scotland is really odd: just stirling and Aberdeen. I saw him in Blackwells here a while ago, after his first book, and he's very sweet. Not the greatest writer in the world, but a nice guy.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:23:00 am »
He's over in Eastbourne one evening shortly, but can't remember the date now!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:27:27 am »
Just found it:

Mark Beaumont - The Man who Cycled the World

Questions from the audience?

"Did you cycle here tonight Beauers?" ha, ha, ha!

"Get out"

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »
Over on the CTC forum there is a moaning brigade saying that he's done nothing special and is receiving far too much publicity.  Sometimes I think cyclists are their own worst enemies.

I will watch with anticipation.  He is an ex-pupil of a friend and is a remarkably nice and modest person, apparently.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2010, 01:12:30 pm »
Over on the CTC forum there is a moaning brigade saying that he's done nothing special and is receiving far too much publicity.  Sometimes I think cyclists are their own worst enemies.

I will watch with anticipation.  He is an ex-pupil of a friend and is a remarkably nice and modest person, apparently.

Carrots and peas.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »
Over on the CTC forum there is a moaning brigade saying that he's done nothing special and is receiving far too much publicity.

There is only one answer to that; go and beat his record or stfu.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2010, 02:19:45 pm »
Fish and Chips.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »

I like the way he comes across. Lots of people will probably do the cycle around the world thing. Some will do (have done) it faster than Mark. I suspect very few will have the ability to make and present such a superb documentary of the journey.  Looking forward to watching his latest adventures from the comfort of my sofa.
Owner of a languishing Langster

gordon taylor

« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2010, 07:29:45 pm »
He's at the Gatehouse Theatre in Stafford at 7:30 on Saturday 15th May.

I'll be there, obviously.  :thumbsup:

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2010, 12:30:42 am »
Thanks for the heads up
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:55:05 am »
That man is seriously bonkers. Cycling the length of the Americas just wasn't hard enough, he has to kick off by climbing up Denali as well!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:35:52 am »
Very good.  I guess the BBC have put in the added extras, e.g.  climbing Dinali, tubing down the river, cowboy stint, to maximise the appeal of the program.  Is there a BBC film crew following him on the bike; I wasn't sure?  He's certainly good at filming himself with the camcorder.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:35:39 am »
Looked to me like the BBC crew only met up with him at certain points, most of the time he was on his own.

Excellent programme, glad to see it's a 3-parter. I liked it when he said (bonking and severely dehydrated) "it's like your fuel running out of car..."

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:44:02 am »

Glorious 'cyclists tan' in the opening minutes.   ;D

« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:26:49 am »
I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.

Does it have the same annoying voiceover saying how many calories he has to eat each day and how that equates to X cheeseburgers?

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:28:53 am »

Does it have the same annoying voiceover saying how many calories he has to eat each day and how that equates to X cheeseburgers?

All in good time, my pretty. All in good time.

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:57:11 am »

Calories were mentioned.   Apparently a pack of Scottish shortbread, at least the one he had, contains 800kCa, and he needed 6000kCa/day.  There was a shot of him eating a hamburger, even though he doesn't eat meat normally.  Oh yes, and he was prayed for to begin with in Alaska.  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2010, 12:17:51 pm »

You sure you hadn't watched it?
Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:25:09 pm »
I had to laugh at the cycling couple he met.  12 years on the road, playing guitar and singing folk songs to children in orphanages, prisoners in Jail and anyone else who was in some way captive.

I can't imagine that anyone capable of escape wouldn't make every attempt to do so, they were truly terrible.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »
I'd forgotten that he's in Tamworth tomorrow night, fortunatey there are still tickets available  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2010, 04:33:02 pm »
Just watched it.  Excellent stuff.

Not sure I can stretch to the £14 the local theatre is charging to see him in  a couple of weeks.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:31:19 pm »
Saw the show in Portsmouth tonight. Highly recommended. Very interesting, insights you just can't get from the programmes, and Mark affably answers questions both in the interval and afterward. Didn't talk to him myself, but did buy a signed copy of the book from his mum.  Looking forward to reading that...

« Reply #24 on: 25 March, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »
I saw him in Bolton last week- it was a good night out.
As StuAff says, he gives more info about what was going on in the background and he's happy to chat away or answer questions.