Author Topic: Garmin Edge charging  (Read 2536 times)

Garmin Edge charging
« on: 16 September, 2019, 08:21:14 am »
Morning all, like many my older edge (500) has an ever decreasing batt life, now I might gold out till Christmas for an upgrade but prior to this has anyone had any success with just running it off a small external batt back via the USB lead (obviously dry rides only) tbf I've not checked clearances on the out front holder yet,  but sure bodges would be available.
Tia

Re: Garmin Edge charging
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2019, 07:29:36 pm »
This has cropped up before and hopefully will help you

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95742.25

Unsurprisingly the links I gave to the cables I bought in 2016 are no longer valid - here are some others. There may be better ones but it'll give you an idea of what to get.

OTG cable USB to Mini USB

USB Male to Male

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2019, 07:52:27 pm »
it's a cumbersome solution, but using otg usb cable and and extension (male-male) usb cable it kinda works. i used to get the occasional beeping with that setup and erroneous temperature readings as the battery heats up while being charged. i changed to using two 500 units, swapping them over and charging the one which is off and in a bag. then join the .fit files at home.

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:27:36 am »
Thanks guys, I did try a search if the site before and was a little swamped, I like the 500 and the best if good for a couple of hours, so not sure but then head a tendancy to drain when off the bike so can charge it, leave it for a couple of weeks then judo on the bike and have half an hour, obviously not great. Hoping for a nice black Friday deal chime December, so a fix till Christmas would be great. Will sit down with a btw and Google later

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:42:33 am »
Morning all, like many my older edge (500) has an ever decreasing batt life, now I might gold out till Christmas for an upgrade but prior to this has anyone had any success with just running it off a small external batt back via the USB lead (obviously dry rides only) tbf I've not checked clearances on the out front holder yet,  but sure bodges would be available.
Tia

If "clearance" is a problem then get a "right angle" cable, lots available in various lengths, probably only need a 30cm one. I have my garmin on the stem and the right angle cable is an easy fit clearing the stem, less than half the required clearance of a straight cable. I use a small usb battery, about 2,200mah I think 7cm long, 2cm diameter , weighs nothing, taped under stem and it keeps garmin charged for days (non rainy ones only)

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:41:18 am »
I notice that you can buy battery replacement kits, for example on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these? One of my regrets in upgrading from a Vista HCx to an Edge Touring Plus was that the older one uses AA rechargeables.

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:25:59 am »
I replaced the battery in my Edge 705 a few years ago with a kit from ebay/Amazon, worked a treat.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:29:10 pm »
I notice that you can buy battery replacement kits, for example on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these? One of my regrets in upgrading from a Vista HCx to an Edge Touring Plus was that the older one uses AA rechargeables.
There's two wires that have to be joined and ideally soldered, I got a friend who'd good at that sort f thing to do it for me, the rest was fiddly but straightforward.  Plenty of Youtube vids to have a look at and know what you're letting yourself in for.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »
I have battery charging issues with my Edge 200 so bought a battery off of ebay for a tenner, took it to one of those dodgy looking phone shops/fixing places and he swapped the battery over for me for another tenner.
Job's a goodun..