Author Topic: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma  (Read 16102 times)

Re: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma
« Reply #75 on: 11 June, 2011, 09:14:22 am »
According to the BBFC for films up to and including a 15 certificate:

'Discrimination
The work as a whole must not endorse discriminatory language or behaviour.'

So if they wanted to keep the name, and not be an 18 certificate, they'd have to a long explanation to camera about how the name was ok for the time, but is now strictly verboten.

I'm not too bothered about the change. The b&w original film will always be around, and the name of the dog is largely an irrelevance.

I'm more interested about how they will explain the inspiration for the twin spotlights used to gauge the height of the plane off the water. You will have to explain to modern audiences how things called 'theatres' used to exist, and real people would be on stage and perform and stuff. It would even be in 3D, without the need for glasses.

For another snippet of things that are never taught and rarely mentioned, after the initial massive casualties of WW1, the allies employed over 100,000 Chinese to dig the trenches....

Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #77 on: 11 June, 2011, 11:33:53 am »
*stands with arms outstretched*

der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der der derderder der der der der
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #79 on: 13 June, 2011, 10:09:17 am »
Look. we're all missing the point here.

It's all about the pipe.

Barnes Wallis (Richard Todd) said in the original film, "Have a gander at m'big black pipe."

And he also said, "Those damn Bast'ds!" but had to be changed to The Dam Busters for distribution reasons. Little known fact.

Tommy Simpson said: "Put me back on m'pipe."

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #80 on: 13 June, 2011, 11:33:44 am »
Will they still be debagging the other squadron in the officers' mess, or will this be bowdlerised into some gentle lobbing of bread rolls?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #81 on: 13 June, 2011, 02:18:06 pm »
We've just been talking about this at work with my Kenyan colleague who has never seen the film. We've just explained to her the name of the dog and the outline of the film, and that the dog dies.

Colleague: how does the dog die?
Me: it gets run over
Colleague: by a white man?

;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #82 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:30:36 pm »
Look. we're all missing the point here.

It's all about the pipe.

Barnes Wallis (Richard Todd) said in the original film, "Have a gander at m'big black pipe."

And he also said, "Those damn Bast'ds!" but had to be changed to The Dam Busters for distribution reasons. Little known fact.

Tommy Simpson said: "Put me back on m'pipe."

Yebbut Richard Todd played Guy Gibson.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #83 on: 16 June, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »
I think a remake is possibly no bad idea – love the original but it’s very much a product of it’s time (which was no bad thing then but dated now and not actually a 100% true or accurate retelling of the events.  I don’t mean I don’t like the original, I love it, I just think there is sufficient scope for a remake to be worthwhile and interesting).

I don’t really care what they call the dog, I’m hoping that this version will cover the attempted attack on the third dam and the fate of the attacking crews, as this isn’t really covered in the original film.

I’ve read that the fair number of inaccuracies in the original were mostly deliberate for reasons of secrecy that are no longer relevant now.  I’m also very curious how they will approach the subject, particularly the overall purpose of the raid.  As a small child of the Airfix Generation, on first watching the film I understood that the strategic purpose was to ‘Drown lots of Germans’.  I have yet to be convinced there was much greater purpose than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #84 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:22:32 pm »
I'm reading "Live And Let Die" at the moment.  There's a chapter called "Nigger Heaven" and that's about the least of its problems  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #85 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:43:32 pm »
I'm reading "Live And Let Die" at the moment.  There's a chapter called "Nigger Heaven" and that's about the least of its problems  :o

Fleming was just plain nasty. His crushing inferiority complex and, so I am told (to be charitable) somewhat inflated accounts of his war service informed a lot of Bond but I guess that's another movie thread topic.