Author Topic: The Apprentice, 9pm tonight (10th May)  (Read 19649 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: The Apprentice, 9pm tonight (10th May)
« Reply #50 on: 11 June, 2011, 07:40:52 am »
Ah, I think this bunch is in general pretty good. I mean, how many here could actually produce a half-decent TV commercial, especially given the time constraints?

What?  A week* and all the facilities?  I think most of us here could.

I've done PR campaigns on similar deadlines - and without all the facilities thrown in.

*Don't believe the suggestion they only get a few days.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 11 June, 2011, 08:26:55 am »
I was almost expecting a triple firing in that last episode.  (Sexist remark coming up).  I'm glad Zoe remains though because she's eye candy.  (Sorry!)

It's interesting that Nick picked up the fact that Susan has some good thinking sometimes (like the possibility that they might pay to collect rubbish rather than necessarily getting paid), though she doesn't communicate well.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 11 June, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »
I was almost expecting a triple firing in that last episode.  (Sexist remark coming up).  I'm glad Zoe remains though because she's eye candy.  (Sorry!)
You're a sick man, Biggsy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jakob

« Reply #53 on: 11 June, 2011, 04:29:26 pm »
*Don't believe the suggestion they only get a few days.

Sorry, you're going to have to convince me otherwise.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 11 June, 2011, 06:35:36 pm »
Well, they either film the episodes back to back and the thing doesn't take 12 weeks (or whatever the programme schedule is) or they have loads of time on their hands between episodes in that big house for chatting and shagging.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #55 on: 11 June, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »
A lot of this is faked.....

The "Cafe" is a film prop, all the exits are filmed at the start and the projects are an awful lot more planned that it looks.

Even to the stage of filming the final twice with both candidates winning and losing as alternative endings. Both then work for Alan Sugar until the final decision and the release of the result.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #56 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:21:06 am »
The final episode is always disappointing because there is no clear winner with "the most amount of money" (sic) - it's subjective.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #57 on: 12 June, 2011, 05:03:29 pm »
The final episode is always disappointing because there is no clear winner with "the most amount of money" (sic) - it's subjective.

I wonder whether this will change this year - I really hope so.

« Reply #58 on: 12 June, 2011, 06:06:30 pm »
I think Susan will go far in the competition (final 2?), based on the fact that during the first show, someone commented on twitter that Susan was Japanese and Sir Alan immediately tweeted back saying no she was Chinese. I can't imagine Sugar would get that into someone's background unless he'd been working with them for a few months, and he'd only bother to correct someone if he thought it was important...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #59 on: 12 June, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »
I think Susan will go far in the competition (final 2?), based on the fact that during the first show, someone commented on twitter that Susan was Japanese and Sir Alan immediately tweeted back saying no she was Chinese. I can't imagine Sugar would get that into someone's background unless he'd been working with them for a few months, and he'd only bother to correct someone if he thought it was important...

I'm not so sure about that.  He's a stickler for detail.

- - - -

Something I've always wondered: does Sugar get to see video footage (rushes?) of the tasks before the boardroom meetings, or is he really relying on what Nick and Karen tell him?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #60 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:47:19 pm »
The Times preview today says:

"Unfortunately, only one team is able to lose"

Looks like it could be a good one!!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #61 on: 15 June, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »
The Times preview today says:

"Unfortunately, only one team is able to lose"

Looks like it could be a good one!!

Bloody brilliant  :thumbsup: They are always so shit at the marketing campaigns  :thumbsup:

AndyK

« Reply #62 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »
How condescending can these people be towards older people? Tossers.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #63 on: 16 June, 2011, 10:56:20 am »
I couldn't stop myself but, every few minutes, after the decision of the team (led by Jim) for their magazine title, I kept blurting out "HIP Replacement!!!?" And it even had the strapline "out with the old … in with the new." Oh dear, oh dear. I've never seen Nick's face screwed up quite so much as last evening's episode.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #64 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:16:00 am »

You might be right afterall.  Susan remains.  Her business sense is actually quite decent, but gets ignored because the others haven't warmed to her.  Then she gets bullied in the boardroom.

I'm glad my Zoe didn't get chucked out (though she wasn't very good, TBH).

Riggers

« Reply #65 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:24:10 am »
My money's on Helen or Jim.

« Reply #66 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:31:47 am »
I think they are grooming Jim for a big fall. He is trying to ingratiate himself with Sugar, by implying that Sugar agrees with his critique of other people. Sugar will go for this when the time comes.

I predict Jim will get mauled very badly during the interview episode.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #67 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:55:12 am »
I couldn't stop myself but, every few minutes, after the decision of the team (led by Jim) for their magazine title, I kept blurting out "HIP Replacement!!!?" And it even had the strapline "out with the old … in with the new." Oh dear, oh dear. I've never seen Nick's face screwed up quite so much as last evening's episode.

I could not speak when I saw that  :o

I think Lord Jim is in for the chop pretty soon. He was getting awfully personal. But Lor' Sugar I think does not mind that too much.

« Reply #68 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
He's giving Jim enough space to make a massive target of himself so that Sugar will appear justified in the savage opprobrium that will certainly be meted out to him. Careful editing will finish the job.

Riggers

« Reply #69 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »

I think Lord Jim is in for the chop pretty soon. He was getting awfully personal. But Lor' Sugar I think does not mind that too much.

Did make me laugh though. I'm surprised they all (apart from Susan) didn't burst out laughing when Jim mentioned he didn't want to be accused of shooting Bambi.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #70 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »
Jim is a master calculator. He'd worked out the percentages of who to blame in the Board Room. He has the gift of the gab too, but he won't go a lot further.

If Tom had a bit more spunk he'd be in the final.

« Reply #71 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
They will all be preparing their boardroom briefs throughout the actual task, knowing that they have high odds of having to use it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #72 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:26:25 pm »
It's "interesting" watching The Apprentice when the task is what you do for a living. It becomes all too apparent just how badly wrong they're getting it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #73 on: 16 June, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »
I only watch occasionally but what a Teflon-couted Greaseball that Jim is.

A pet hate of mine is people saying "No, please....let me finish" and who spend all their time interrupting others.

Classic fail - Absolutely no negotiation with client (to the obvious surprise of the rest of his team).

Classic fail - Telling Lordalan he was wrong by using the "we're both right" argument (made Lordalan smirk, the very nerve of it)

Having said all that...12 hours from start to finish is a tough ask (although "HIP Replacement" only needed 5 seconds to reject the idea out of sight).

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #74 on: 16 June, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »

Did make me laugh though. I'm surprised they all (apart from Susan) didn't burst out laughing when Jim mentioned he didn't want to be accused of shooting Bambi.

;D And then Lor' Sugar says 'wasn't it bambi's mother that got shot' as an aside which both my husband and I were laughing our arses off at.