Author Topic: Working from home advice  (Read 10275 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Working from home advice
« Reply #100 on: 26 June, 2020, 06:38:18 pm »
Shorts and a shirt there, which is what I'd wear at the office, I've never had a job that required a tie and starch (that said, my stint in Virginia was very anti-shorts, I'm not sure why men's knees are that fearsome to the southern constitution, there seems to be a general thing about shorts in the workplace).

I believe shorts are mandatory in Australia, as are "thongs".  Flip-flops, obv.  They even wear them for driving; whenever I've tried that they invariably attack the pedals and cause uncontrollable squeaking until I can get them off.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #101 on: 26 June, 2020, 06:41:08 pm »
I don't have work clothes, I wear the same stuff all the time. Well, other than hentai cosplay evening, of course.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #102 on: 27 June, 2020, 02:22:19 pm »
The hospital that Mr R works at has decided that all front line clinical staff should be in uniform, so for consultants that means scrubs.  He's had some natty navy blue scrubs delivered.

I have some sympathy with the helpfulness of different uniforms in medicine. As an 80s hospital veteran uniforms were useful cos you knew which "nurses" knew what, that the ones with X were students, the ones with Y were auxiliaries and the ones with Z were senior/sisters who could say sort your buggered drip out or get sense into stupid (junior) doctors. And you knew which grownups were staff and which were other adults (parents of other children).

Come the 90s and everyone switched to more generic poloshirts and I had no idea if J Random adult was a medical person or a parent of someone wearing hard wearing not-too-hot clothes and there was much more staff churn. I didn't know who my named nurse was even in paeds hospital or who might be able to help with different things.

I cared less about doctor uniforms cos I knew my consultants and no one else was reliably useful so went into "oh generic doctor" category and not to be trusted until proven otherwise. I was /that/ patient who confused the juniors on a regular basis. I still get consultants writing "SEE ME ONLY" on records/letters cos I give them a good challenge too ;).

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #103 on: 27 June, 2020, 02:48:34 pm »
It's an interesting range of views that people have.

Imagine if you can that you cannot see the person with whom you are communicating for a particular professional function.  It might simply be a phone call rather than a video or face to face meeting.

How do you assess their professional competencies then?

You're basically highlighting the visual equivalent of phono-centricity (assumptions everyone can hear well)... Photo-centricity maybe? Not my word to label.

And yes. We have other markers. Job titles (which have got increasingly wanky in recent years) with lots of grunts having 'manager' in their title to make themselves look big and more about status than useful function and capacity and purpose.

Accentism in some places. If you're a received pronunciation sounding man you will get taken more seriously than a woman.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »
Imagine if you can that you cannot see the person with whom you are communicating for a particular professional function.  It might simply be a phone call rather than a video or face to face meeting.

How do you assess their professional competencies then?

I have the Display Mail User Agent add-on installed, so I can make snap judgements about people based on their choice (or lack of choice) of email client.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #105 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »
There is an old fashioned british establishment mentality about being dressed in the appropriate "uniform" for work.  Somehow apparently we cannot do our jobs if we are not groomed and attired appropriately.

I find this all rather establishment and subversively controlling. If I was to sit naked at my computer it would not stop my brain functioning in it's normal way.

"Dress for the job you want they said, yet here I sit in the disciplinary hearing wearing my batman costume..."

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #106 on: 27 June, 2020, 06:38:33 pm »
There is an old fashioned british establishment mentality about being dressed in the appropriate "uniform" for work.  Somehow apparently we cannot do our jobs if we are not groomed and attired appropriately.

I find this all rather establishment and subversively controlling. If I was to sit naked at my computer it would not stop my brain functioning in it's normal way.

"Dress for the job you want they said, yet here I sit in the disciplinary hearing wearing my batman costume..."

Dress for the job you REALLY want by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ben T

« Reply #107 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:13:46 am »
Shorts and a shirt there, which is what I'd wear at the office, I've never had a job that required a tie and starch (that said, my stint in Virginia was very anti-shorts, I'm not sure why men's knees are that fearsome to the southern constitution, there seems to be a general thing about shorts in the workplace).

I believe shorts are mandatory in Australia, as are "thongs".  Flip-flops, obv.  They even wear them for driving; whenever I've tried that they invariably attack the pedals and cause uncontrollable squeaking until I can get them off.

I never drive in flip flops for fear the accelerator might get stuck between flip flop and foot. Not sure if that is an irrational fear or not.