Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226946 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1150 on: 05 January, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
We got an ergo for me and my daughter who is becoming obsessed with rowing. My rowing club doesn't seem to have a team on the Concept2 logbook thingy so I've just joined the Concept2 yacf team... I hope you don't mind!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1151 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:09:40 pm »
I've been coaching rowing (volunteering) for 3 or 4 years now, for one of the clubs in Cambridge plus a university college first boat, both only mid-table performance at best but in december I started shadowing one of the coaches for the cambridge boat race crew, in an attempt to get better at coaching faster crews and I'm loving it.. Amazing to watch olympic-level athletes train and fight for seats, and they even ask me to do some shouting sometimes.

I also did my level 2 coaching qualification, although that was much more about safety and process than actual rowing.  Good to get it done though!

« Reply #1152 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »
Mike, that sounds fabulous.  I am nowhere near an athlete but have spent some time around world champion level athletes and they are so much fun to watch and listen to.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1153 on: 08 January, 2020, 03:01:57 pm »
Best 10000m ergo for 2 years yesterday.  Maybe the bicycle-weight of extra lard around my middle is helping?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1154 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:53:58 pm »
I've been coaching rowing (volunteering) for 3 or 4 years now, for one of the clubs in Cambridge plus a university college first boat, both only mid-table performance at best but in december I started shadowing one of the coaches for the cambridge boat race crew, in an attempt to get better at coaching faster crews and I'm loving it.. Amazing to watch olympic-level athletes train and fight for seats, and they even ask me to do some shouting sometimes.

I also did my level 2 coaching qualification, although that was much more about safety and process than actual rowing.  Good to get it done though!

That sounds interesting, Mike, quite an eye-opener I bet. The first couple of weeks each year seem to be marked by a predominance of 'palmares' kit (GB, US, Harvard, Leander etc.)  :) .  I generally get involved by staying out of their way... I have perceived an increased level of politeness on the water this year towards us oiks on the other side of the river, but it may be that I am in a posher boat (i.e. not a club Swift) that has been in their boathouse for a couple of years. Good to see them out when going well though, sometimes very impressive (and make the water very bumpy).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1155 on: 30 January, 2020, 06:17:36 am »
Have reached 100,000m on the ergo this month.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1156 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:12:58 am »
Expect to be doing more on the Ergo now. 

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1157 on: 21 March, 2020, 04:45:01 pm »
Expect to be doing more on the Ergo now.

Yes - our club shut yesterday evening, not even private single scull use allowed. BR now concerned about indoor rowing safety following a number of incidents involving heart problems (and fatalities, sadly).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1158 on: 14 April, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
Am working towards a marathon on the Concept 2 - as it lives in my garage, it's a perfect way of exercising whilst staying at home, and I have a greater dislike of turbo-trainers.  Completed a half-marathon on Sunday and plan a 30,000m test piece next weekend.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1159 on: 14 April, 2020, 11:44:17 am »
Make sure to log it using ergdata onto your concept 2 logbook. They'll send you a free pin in the post when you verify it.

I strongly strongly advise using chamois cream on the insides of your elbows, knees, and your forearms where they can rub against your sides. Friction + salt sweat is your enemy!!! Liberally smear anywhere you think might have any kind of rub.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1160 on: 15 April, 2020, 06:58:53 pm »
Make sure to log it using ergdata onto your concept 2 logbook. They'll send you a free pin in the post when you verify it.

I strongly strongly advise using chamois cream on the insides of your elbows, knees, and your forearms where they can rub against your sides. Friction + salt sweat is your enemy!!! Liberally smear anywhere you think might have any kind of rub.

It's the pin below the marathon badge which is dead impressive.  I've rowed 100,000m as one of a 4-man relay team, the other three were ex-university rowers and it still took us over 6 hours.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll certainly be logging it as I quite fancy a rowing badge to go with my old Audax ones.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1161 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:12:10 pm »
Honestly I found the marathon harder as I had a target time (sub 3 hours) and wasn't so prepared. The experience from the marathon made the 100 in a way much more tolerable.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1162 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:22:28 pm »

I'll certainly be logging it as I quite fancy a rowing badge to go with my old Audax ones.

You can get a badge and a T shirt for logging 1,000,000 lifetime metres.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

simonp

« Reply #1163 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:26:14 pm »
I’m on 1.6Mm

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1164 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:21:57 am »
30000m prep row today.  I was originally planning to do this mid-morning, with music blaring, but that would have been less convenient for the family, so started at 5.30am as usual without music.  Was aiming for 2-hours flat, but have learned on endurance events to listen to my body and that felt just a bit too hard, so finished in 2-01-13, (but with pretty level splits adjusting for drink stops at 10k and 5k intervals after that.  So that means that there is plenty in hand for a sub-3hr marathon, something that I've never been close to on foot.  Plan to do the actual marathon in two weeks time. 

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1165 on: 29 April, 2020, 08:28:18 am »

And this is what it looks like. I wouldn't have bothered if it was only the medal, but the T-shirt which comes with it feels like a good quality one.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1166 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:23:35 pm »
All set for the marathon on Sunday.  Today's 10k took me to 788395m lifetime logged with Concept II so at current rate of progress will probably reach the million metre mark in June.  As none of my cycling targets are coming to fruition this year am planning the 1m metres in 2020.

Chris S

« Reply #1167 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:31:54 pm »
Just checked my lifetime metres. 820K. Wow! I should complete the 1m, definitely!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1168 on: 01 May, 2020, 09:23:09 am »
My first logged million (now 1,140,533) took 15 years (0 in 4 of those years).

« Reply #1169 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:26:05 pm »

I had no idea it was so close...

*bling lust*

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1170 on: 03 May, 2020, 03:42:35 pm »
Marathon done this morning before breakfast.  Managed to break 3 hours, so happy.  Probably about as hard as running a marathon on the road, except different bits hurt.  I don't think I'll be rushing out to do another one, but I wouldn't rule it out.  Need to work out how to stop my trainers rubbing on my heels (which has always been a bit of a problem).  Fortunately had an old pack of Compeed lurking in the cupboard.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1171 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:11:16 pm »
Yesterday's 6k took me to 505k for the year, so am now on record as aiming for the million metres this calendar year.  Gives me a nice round target to aim for given that all my Audax ambitions are on hold for the while.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1172 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:13:44 pm »
Am doing the Concept II Heptathlon this week: 7 events: 10k, 20min, 10min, 6k, 1mile (1609m), 1km, 1 minute.  Did the 10k on Monday, then the 10 min, 1km and 1 mile as three separate rows today.  Having mostly focused on distance it was quite fun to blast out 1km and then curl up in case the room started to spin. 

Was pretty much in the same percentile group for 1km as for my longer rows despite not having done any specific training, which makes me curious - or perhaps the 2 - 4 minute that it takes to blast up local hills on my bicycle is good cross-training for rowing?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1173 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:00:27 pm »
600,000m for the year reached today.  Only need to average 2005m per day for the rest of the year to make the magic million.  And my marathon pin arrived at the end of last week.  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1174 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:03:55 pm »

And this is what it looks like. I wouldn't have bothered if it was only the medal, but the T-shirt which comes with it feels like a good quality one.

I logged 5000m this morning, which brought me over the 1,000,000 metres logged and by the afternoon had got the invoice (free) for the pin and the T-shirt from Concept 2.  Am well on track for the 1,000,000 metres for the calendar year, having reached 631,457, but the Concept 2 year starts on 1 May so will have to keep going for a while to get 1,000,000 metres in their season.   Quite looking forward to the medal.  It can sit with the PBP, LEL, and Mille Miglia thingies and a few other running and cycling memorabilia.  They used to sit in a box, until our cleaner said it was silly to hide them away and lined them up neatly on a shelf to collect dust.