Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 338928 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1875 on: 02 February, 2021, 08:40:06 am »
"The Great" on Channel 4

A tongue in cheek serialised history of the rise of Catherine the Great of Russia. Funny and horrific in equal measures.
Excellent closing music for each episode too.

All episodes up to now on All 4.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1876 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:59:18 am »
"The Great" on Channel 4

A tongue in cheek serialised history of the rise of Catherine the Great of Russia. Funny and horrific in equal measures.

Caught a bit of that on telly the other night and thought it looked interesting - the bit that caught my eye was a scene where she was feeding macaroons to wounded soldiers, which was, as you say, both funny and horrific. Looks like it has lots of gratuitous shagging too. Might go back and watch it from the start.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1877 on: 02 February, 2021, 11:09:56 pm »
Has anyone mentioned It's a Sin?

Yes, it's Russell T Davies writing Russell T Davies characters.  Yes, it's got the tired old biphobic tropes and about 1.3 female characters in it[1].  But you should watch it anyway.  Bring tissues [No, not for that - Ed.] and righteous anger.

* May contain traces of daleks and Thatcher.

[1] Does it even pass the Bechdel test?

« Reply #1878 on: 02 February, 2021, 11:28:56 pm »
I've been reading stuff about it in various places, but haven't watched any of it yet.  I think the only openly gay person I knew during that timeframe was John, who had the desk opposite me for a couple of years. I used to field calls from various boyfriends.  Nice chap,  he left in the first phase of mass redundancies to start an aromatherapy business.  A couple of years later I asked friends if they'd heard from him & was told he was dead.  Some form of cancer on his neck , so possibly KS.   :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1879 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:11:18 am »
I'm too young to have experienced anything but the late-90s aftermath where older men were conspicuously thin on the ground, and sexual health awareness was a staple of (and often lucrative source of funding for) LGBT groups.

I had an unusual perspective of growing up in a household where infectious diseases where normal dinnertime conversation, and knew all about HIV and AIDS before I really understood the mechanics of sexual intercourse.

I think what's striking is to see the human side of it from a BRITISH perspective.  USAnain stories have been told many times.

« Reply #1880 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:29:44 am »
I remember being with friends, drinking in the "Third Room" at the Everyman Bistro in Liverpool,  and commenting that this part of the bar was mostly popular with gay people.  One of my "friends" got up & left, said that he wasn't staying here as you might catch something.  This was someone I'd always felt was fairly decent, well educated & broad minded  :(

This was a good interview, with Derek Jarman, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rnDr-xW5uo , though he was someone with a public profile & lots of supportive friends.  I remember watching it on C4 when it was first broadcast.

Can't recall when I first heard the words AIDS or HIV, probably when I started reading the Guardian (we were a Daily Heil household).

citoyen

« Reply #1881 on: 03 February, 2021, 01:01:09 pm »

Yes, it's Russell T Davies writing Russell T Davies characters.  Yes, it's got the tired old biphobic tropes and about 1.3 female characters in it[1].  But you should watch it anyway.  Bring tissues [No, not for that - Ed.] and righteous anger.

It's on the list. A gay friend who watched it was absolutely seething as a result but recommended it none the less.

One thing I don't recommend is the new series of Marcella. Terrible. Just a collection of unoriginal ideas thrown together badly.

fuzzy

« Reply #1882 on: 03 February, 2021, 03:22:02 pm »

It's on the list. A gay friend who watched it was absolutely seething as a result but recommended it none the less.

One thing I don't recommend is the new series of Marcella. Terrible. Just a collection of unoriginal ideas thrown together badly.
With complete disregard for operational considerations....

citoyen

Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1883 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:39:58 pm »

She’s a maverick but she gets results, goddammit.

And if she can singlehandedly bring down the entire O’Mafia family, it will be a victory for enemies of tired clichés everywhere.

« Reply #1884 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:44:23 pm »
^ I have taped the lot.

Watched the first episode of "The Serpent" which I did not enjoy (they did that thing where they tried to catch your interest by telling the story in such a way as you don't know what's going on ... because you won't care for any of the characters or be interested in the denouement otherwise),

I've watched two episodes on two seperate occasions, both in late evening. On both occasions I've woken in the night with a nightmare. Weird. Really unsettling.

« Reply #1885 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:04:29 pm »
The last episode of the current season of "The Expanse".  Ooff.   I can cancel my Amazon Prime again. 

« Reply #1886 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:09:15 pm »
The last episode of the current season of "The Expanse".  Ooff.   I can cancel my Amazon Prime again.

Now you can get a free trial of Amazon Audible, & with the two free credits,  get the next couple of  Expanse audio books...   ;)    That's what I listened to on the bike rollers during Lockdown1.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuzzy

« Reply #1887 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:29:25 pm »

She’s a maverick but she gets results, goddammit.

And if she can singlehandedly bring down the entire O’Mafia family, it will be a victory for enemies of tired clichés everywhere.

Yeahbut she's wrecking the rep of The Feds. I mean, an unhinged UC who actually sleeps with the enemy?
Oh, hang on a minute.....

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1888 on: 06 February, 2021, 04:15:15 pm »
Not tonight, but from Thurs 11th Feb, fans of Adam Curtis' films on the state of our world will be able to find his new series available on BBC iplayer.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/feb/06/you-could-be-a-cult-leader-diane-morgan-and-adam-curtis-on-brexit-trump-and-his-new-series
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1889 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:32:45 am »
^ I have taped the lot.

Watched the first episode of "The Serpent" which I did not enjoy (they did that thing where they tried to catch your interest by telling the story in such a way as you don't know what's going on ... because you won't care for any of the characters or be interested in the denouement otherwise),

I've watched two episodes on two seperate occasions, both in late evening. On both occasions I've woken in the night with a nightmare. Weird. Really unsettling.
Mrs Legs and I are enjoying The Serpent.  Very sinister.

« Reply #1890 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:51:53 am »
It's great telly, but I can't watch it anymore. I think the thing that really gets to me is the moments when they have drugged guests, the guests are ill and unwittingly dying, and the two killers are sitting, watching, overseeing their deaths whilst pretending to care for them.  All very Harold Shipman.

« Reply #1891 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:27:45 am »

The soundtrack is great.

MrsC and I compared notes about this period (early 80s).

Seems that Aids awareness advertising was much better in Australia that it was in the UK.  Oz still had terrible occurrences of prejudice; I remember reading stories of children with Aids not being allowed into schools, parents (of other children) withdrawing their kids.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1892 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:12:42 pm »

During a Zoom supplier meeting this was recommended to me.
I think I value your opinion higher than the man who sells cardboard boxes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1893 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:43:28 pm »
"The Great" on Channel 4

Caught a bit of that on telly the other night and thought it looked interesting - the bit that caught my eye was a scene where she was feeding macaroons to wounded soldiers, which was, as you say, both funny and horrific. Looks like it has lots of gratuitous shagging too. Might go back and watch it from the start.
it is genuinely great!

I do not understand how they so beautifully balance the tone. Just love it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #1894 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:55:27 pm »

During a Zoom supplier meeting this was recommended to me.
I think I value your opinion higher than the man who sells cardboard boxes.

I wouldn't trust my opinion on TV matters - I watch The Masked Singer.

Marcella is terrible though.

« Reply #1895 on: 10 February, 2021, 11:32:19 pm »

Up to episode 3.  Not easy viewing, moments of buttock clenching embarrassment "you're not very clean down there", anger (parents & doctors) and unremitting horror.      The only bright notes are the soundtrack & spotting the locations in Liverpool that were used for filming.

I think this is the first thing by Russell T Davies I've actually seen.  Not enjoying the style very much.  Most people too pretty, no one smokes , drinks or swears enough. 

« Reply #1896 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:08:12 am »
On Amazon Prime - Sneaky Pete. 3 seasons, 10 episodes each
According to the search, last mentioned in a single post topic by Hot Flatus, back in 2017
If you liked Breaking Bad, you'll like this

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1897 on: 12 February, 2021, 08:38:22 am »
Your Garden Made Perfect (I know . . . ) - interesting, especially as we are in the process of a garden make-over . . . 

Does anyone know where it's filmed (that's the "HQ" not the individual gardens) ? - interested as there are a couple of things I'd like to look at the detail.

Googling as failed me so far.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1898 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:04:54 am »
Your Garden Made Perfect (I know . . . ) - interesting, especially as we are in the process of a garden make-over . . . 

Does anyone know where it's filmed (that's the "HQ" not the individual gardens) ? - interested as there are a couple of things I'd like to look at the detail.

I suspect they use the same studio, or at least the same equipment as the home makeover show hosted by Sarah Beeney.  Zero idea where, though
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1899 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:27:04 am »

I suspect they use the same studio, or at least the same equipment as the home makeover show hosted by Sarah Beeney.  Zero idea where, though

. . . I meant the large garden with the big timber-frame building that is in the start and some of the linking sequences.