Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 393220 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2725 on: 01 January, 2021, 08:43:43 am »
I virtually always use the self scan. The wait I shorter and I can pack as I scan. Most barcodes are I. Normal places and easily scanned by the two scanners.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2726 on: 01 January, 2021, 08:56:57 am »
I virtually always use the self scan. The wait I shorter and I can pack as I scan. Most barcodes are I. Normal places and easily scanned by the two scanners.

I too haven't been in a supermarket/food shop of any size since the start of February (Mrs robgul or Mr Ocado oblige) - but I understand from a friend that's on the top managemtent team at Aldi that most of their products have barcodes on many faces of the packaging to ensure "right first time" swiping at the tills . . . perhaps something others might follow suit with?

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2727 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:43:56 am »
I gave up due the dumb things' dislike of my 2.5kg rucksack 'Unexpected bag in item area', although those at Waitrose aren't as stupid.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2728 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:09:19 am »
Thats odd, I've always found the Waitrose ones a right PITA with panniers, or anything else for that matter.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2729 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:29:27 am »

I too haven't been in a supermarket/food shop of any size since the start of February (Mrs robgul or Mr Ocado oblige) - but I understand from a friend that's on the top managemtent team at Aldi that most of their products have barcodes on many faces of the packaging to ensure "right first time" swiping at the tills . . . perhaps something others might follow suit with?

Both Aldi and Lidl have huge bar codes compared to any of the other stores. Some are full width (and then sides) of the packaging, saves time in scanning as you say.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2730 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:29:38 pm »
I always do the scan as you shop thing. Doing your scanning and packing as you walk to the next item is very time efficient and avoids the whole unexpected item in the bagging area. I also like the looks of horror from other shoppers if you put an item in your pocket.
I've only seen scan as you shop at Mr Rose's Weighty House of Toothy Comestibles, and therefore have never used it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2731 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:51:54 pm »
Tesco and Asda have it round here. Not sure about Morrison's.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Davef

« Reply #2732 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:19:53 pm »
Waitrose and Tesco’s have it here. The Waitrose is slightly better as you can weigh and scan loose fruit and veg in the veg aisle.

This however is nothing compared to the prototype Amazon food stores where you take things off the shelf, pop them in your bag without scanning and walk out, with your account being billed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2733 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:45:10 pm »
I expect it's as much about size of shop as brand.

Davef

The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2734 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:47:52 pm »
I expect it's as much about size of shop as brand.
You can do it at all Waitrose’s even if they are too small to have a rack of scanners... in which case your can use you mobile phone instead.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2735 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
The self-styled "Little Waitrose" is the second largest supermarket I regularly enter after "big Sainsbury's" which most people would actually consider medium-small (and I've only been in there twice since March). All the other Tescos and Sainsos round here are Spar-sized, and the Cooper @ Ives are the same size as they are anywhere else. I'm sure if I could be bothered to go out to a larger Tesco etc they'd have that system.

« Reply #2736 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:09:09 pm »
I always do the scan as you shop thing. Doing your scanning and packing as you walk to the next item is very time efficient and avoids the whole unexpected item in the bagging area. I also like the looks of horror from other shoppers if you put an item in your pocket.

Ah so you're the one that blocks the aisle while you search for the barcode and then have to rearrange the shopping bag to avoid putting the potatoes on top of the eggs.  ;D

And at the moment there don't seem to be queues at the checkouts. Keep 6 feet away from the cashier and you're probably ok
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Davef

« Reply #2737 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:57:51 pm »

Ah so you're the one that blocks the aisle while you search for the barcode and then have to rearrange the shopping bag to avoid putting the potatoes on top of the eggs.  ;D

And at the moment there don't seem to be queues at the checkouts. Keep 6 feet away from the cashier and you're probably ok
If potatoes or eggs were in the wrong section of the list it would not survive the pre-shop vetting.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2738 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:35:18 pm »
BN: I have one month a year without income. I thought it was this month.
GN: It was last month so this month I should have more money than expected.

« Reply #2739 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »
The Waitrose mobile phone app is also (IMO) best in the current plague conditions, as you don't have to fondle another device. The app has been substantially improved since it's early days, when whatever you wanted, you got pants.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2740 on: 05 January, 2021, 09:36:15 pm »
Doesn't work in our local branch, a mobile signal black hole
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2741 on: 08 January, 2021, 12:47:52 pm »
GN: Royal Mail has delivered my new merino wool beanie from IsoBaa

BN:  Royal Mail driver hit the vintage cast iron lamppost outside our house, which will now require replacing.  Unfortunately Highways will only replace with new modern ugly lamppost.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2742 on: 21 January, 2021, 02:37:21 pm »
GN: Just had first vaccination for that modern lurgy thing that's so popular atm.
BN: Pfizer; at my age AZ would have been better. Now hoping for mild but noticeable reaction to show that the protest against bodies is working.

Just to make sure that I got there I walked nearly 5 miles (if the bus doesn't turn up...), then walked another 2 miles to Waitrose to buy goodies. The (Muslim) bus driver didn't seem to be impressed by my happylunch of ham sandwiches and port.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2743 on: 21 January, 2021, 03:30:22 pm »
GN: The house got a stress test last night

BN: It failed in the "Not letting in water" bit.  Specifically over our bloody bedroom!

GN: Rufus who did the other end of the roof last year is still working so he can sort it the weekend after next.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2744 on: 21 January, 2021, 05:21:08 pm »
GN: Rufus who did the other end of the roof last year is still working so he can sort it the weekend after next.

The nominative determinism thread is that way...  ->

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2745 on: 21 January, 2021, 05:29:52 pm »
You are a phoneticist - your statue will be resoundingly unmolished!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2746 on: 21 January, 2021, 06:57:43 pm »
GN: Just had first vaccination for that modern lurgy thing that's so popular atm.
BN: Pfizer; at my age AZ would have been better. Now hoping for mild but noticeable reaction to show that the protest against bodies is working.
Just to make sure that I got there I walked nearly 5 miles (if the bus doesn't turn up...), then walked another 2 miles to Waitrose to buy goodies. The (Muslim) bus driver didn't seem to be impressed by my happylunch of ham sandwiches and port.
Suspect your necessary unmasking to consume concerned him more than what you ingested.

« Reply #2747 on: 21 January, 2021, 09:56:05 pm »
Bus companies disapprove, and sometimes ban, eating on board, due to the inevitable detritus and potential annoyance to other passengers, often including potent odours.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2748 on: 21 January, 2021, 09:59:38 pm »
Seems entirely reasonable, given I've been on buses resembling the pavements outside McD's.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2749 on: 21 January, 2021, 10:22:39 pm »
They generally ban hot food, so ham sandwiches okay, and alcohol, so port defo not okay.