Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165458 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2850 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:23:18 am »
I had a lovely birthday yesterday; me & mrs mike went out for dinner and she'd organised a mini surprise party, so we had a fantastic evening with some great friends, good food and lots of lovely wine.  I had a gentle hangover this morning but most of it cleared on my hour on the bike this morning. 

Top world. 

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2851 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:42:27 am »
Happy birthday Mike!  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Good news
« Reply #2852 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:57:52 am »
I shall raise a glass of gravity drawn ale at the Little Totham Swan this lunchtime.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2853 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »
Just had an e-mail from the bike shop to tell me they've finished building my new bike :)

« Reply #2854 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »
Finally got around to chasing up my old Whitbread shares and outstanding dividends.

Missing a share certificate, and it'll cost me a chunk of money to get a replacement, but it's a nice chunk of money to go towards the skiing holiday.

Now I just need to sell the PowerMac, blade servers and Colnago, and the couple of old PCs and I'll have successfully cashed in on my clutter and piss-poor admin.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2855 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »
I've just moved into my new house.

I'm surrounded by boxes full of stuff. Drinking a beer, eating pizza. I've got a choice of 3 bedroom to choose from.

It's quiet. I miss my daughters, but it's good to be on my own again. I'll see them again soon.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2856 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:33:30 pm »
\o/

Hope that you settle in quick.  How long til the girls come to stay?

« Reply #2857 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:36:02 pm »
Having not seen my daughter for nearly six years I'm spending time with her again tomorrow.   YIPPEE!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Now, where's the wine...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2858 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:04:56 pm »
Great news, both :D
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2859 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »
Great news, both :D

From I and I also. Happy for you both.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2860 on: 30 October, 2010, 06:13:18 am »
\o/

Hope that you settle in quick.  How long til the girls come to stay?
A couple of weeks maybe. I think they'll be here for an overnight before that, but I need some furniture before they stay for longer.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2861 on: 31 October, 2010, 02:43:54 pm »
mrs. jogler has a winning ticket for Euromillions :thumbsup:

& again.Twice the amount as last time ;D

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2862 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:35:38 pm »
After 11 weeks of unemployment I've finally been offered a new job. It's not just any old job to pay the bills, but the only one that I really fancied doing out of all the jobs that I've applied for.  :thumbsup: :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2863 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »
Splendid!
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2864 on: 01 November, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »
Excellent news Chris :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #2865 on: 01 November, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
Good news :)

On a slightly less significant note, my hunch that there was a way over our fence and down onto the footpath to the next village proved correct

Saves miles :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2866 on: 01 November, 2010, 07:12:06 pm »
Top class news Chris!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #2867 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:39:02 am »
Last Saturday I went for my first bike ride since my helicopter ride in early September! 45 miles and a tender behind.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2868 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:41:20 am »
"a tender behind."
You are Thomas the Tank Engine and ICMFP!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #2869 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:57:21 am »
That was a fiver I was gonna spend on cream  >:(
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2870 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:03:10 am »
Single or double? Or maybe it was whipping cream that gave you a tender behind?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2871 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:06:58 am »
My good news is that a good Yacfer has solved the problem I just ranted about!

robbo6

« Reply #2872 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:04:30 am »
"a tender behind."
You are Thomas the Tank Engine and ICMFP!

If Thomas had a tender behind he wouldn't be a tank engine. ::-)

« Reply #2873 on: 02 November, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »
This was heading for the rant thread till a massive, unexpected u-turn in the goodwardly direction this afternoon:

I bought a used BMW about six months ago. I paid slightly over the odds for because i bought it from a BMW dealership rather than privately 'for peace of mind'.   

The tax disc*  ran out last week so I went online to buy a new one but I couldnt find the log book anywhere.  Assuming I'd just lost it, I spent a fun hour turning the house upside down looking for it.  Then I phoned the DVLA and asked what to do, they said to fill out a couple of forms and drive 50 miles to my nearest DVLA office and they'd order a new one. 

Except when I got there (in Mrs Mikes' car) they wouldnt because I wasnt the registered owner - it still shows on the system as belonging to the bloke who sold it to the garage...  The DVLA have to write to him, check he no longer has the car and it hasnt been pinched, then they'll issue me a new V5 and let me buy a tax disc*.  This could take six weeks, during which I cant use the car.  ARSE. 

They also said I should speak to the dealer..

So I did, expecting to be told it was my fault for losing the tear off bit of the V5 or the DVLAs fault for screwing up and there was nothing they could do, but I was completely wrong - they've admitted full responsibility and are lending me a car as long as I need it, they've even offered to put my car in their secret underground bunker on their insurance because it's not covered by mine while it's untaxed

the sales guy organising all this is earning himself a bottle of whiskey, it would have been easy for them to fob me off and do nothing but they really do seem to be trying to help.    I guess they know they've screwed up by not sending all the forms off and want to keep me happy...  :thumbsup:

* - I know, I know - it's 'Road Fund Licence'

LindaG

« Reply #2874 on: 02 November, 2010, 06:16:56 pm »
This was heading for the rant thread till a massive, unexpected u-turn in the goodwardly direction this afternoon:

I bought a used BMW about six months ago. I paid slightly over the odds for because i bought it from a BMW dealership rather than privately 'for peace of mind'.   

The tax disc*  ran out last week so I went online to buy a new one but I couldnt find the log book anywhere.  Assuming I'd just lost it, I spent a fun hour turning the house upside down looking for it.  Then I phoned the DVLA and asked what to do, they said to fill out a couple of forms and drive 50 miles to my nearest DVLA office and they'd order a new one. 

Except when I got there (in Mrs Mikes' car) they wouldnt because I wasnt the registered owner - it still shows on the system as belonging to the bloke who sold it to the garage...  The DVLA have to write to him, check he no longer has the car and it hasnt been pinched, then they'll issue me a new V5 and let me buy a tax disc*.  This could take six weeks, during which I cant use the car.  ARSE. 

They also said I should speak to the dealer..

So I did, expecting to be told it was my fault for losing the tear off bit of the V5 or the DVLAs fault for screwing up and there was nothing they could do, but I was completely wrong - they've admitted full responsibility and are lending me a car as long as I need it, they've even offered to put my car in their secret underground bunker on their insurance because it's not covered by mine while it's untaxed

the sales guy organising all this is earning himself a bottle of whiskey, it would have been easy for them to fob me off and do nothing but they really do seem to be trying to help.    I guess they know they've screwed up by not sending all the forms off and want to keep me happy...  :thumbsup:

* - I know, I know - it's 'Road Fund Licence'

Warm 'good customer service' feeling in the old cockles, eh?  Maybe the universe is benign, after all.