Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Gallery / Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Last post by PaulF on Today at 06:55:36 pm »
Vulcan..

Yes. I think you were there with me for the final Vulcan flight at RIAT.  I was told a few months later by a Vulcan captain that the pilot in question got a massive bollocking  ;)

What did he do?
« Last post by Jurek on Today at 06:42:11 pm »
I saw the Vulcan at Shoreham Air Show in 2014.
I was due to see it again at the same location in 2015 on the Sunday.
The Saturday before was the date of the crash.
:(
Cheap mapping GPS and a free Ridewith GPS account.

That is all you need. You can plot routes, download other people's gpx routes into RWGPS, then fly them onto your GPS unit

There are some cheap Chinese brands appearing, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iGPSPORT-Waterproof-Speedometer-Automatic-Backlight/dp/B0BBGTR1GP/ref=asc_df_B0BBGTR1GP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=621725238857&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5743643074722120277&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007068&hvtargid=pla-1875525479270&psc=1
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 06:36:34 pm »
Vulcan..

Yes. I think you were there with me for the final Vulcan flight at RIAT.  I was told a few months later by a Vulcan captain that the pilot in question got a massive bollocking  ;)
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 06:26:40 pm »
Vulcan..

Although the surprise (scheduled, not scheduled then scheduled) F35 at Cosford last year was short, but impressive. The way it just stopped, entirely still, was uncanny, if a little noisy.
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by cycleman on Today at 06:25:49 pm »
Just over to Windsor to get new tyres fitted. Very pleasant in the warm sunshine 🌞
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 06:15:47 pm »
Gordon is a Moron - Jilted John

:demon:
I've always relied on OS paper maps. I don't really understand maps on my iPhone yet. I do have premium sub with OS Maps - but haven't made much progress.

I haven't a clue how to use a satnav (my wee basic van doesn't have one anyway)

So, for a simple example today when I intentionally ventured off road into Beddgelert forest - hard pack fire and tree felling gravelly roads - zero technical skills needed to ride (which is good cos although I've been cycling a lot for at least 65 years, it's never been 'offroad'. But I've now got an MTB hardtail e-bike to play with.

Ideally I would have wanted something on my handlebars that displayed a map and my position on it as I ventured.

In Beddgelert Forest there is a sometimes patchily marked trail - the Derwen Trail. Which I wanted to follow. But also wanted to deviate up other tracks just to see what might be - and be able to return to the route.

In easy single syllables style - what are my options and where might be the simplest explanations on how to use them?

I have an iPhone 15 Pro but really don't want such an expensive huge thing on my handlebars, even though there is a Bosch mount for such that will keep the phone powered from the bike's battery.

I have a Bosch Kiox 300 handlebar display for the Bosch e-bike motor, which is supposed to be able to navigate via Komoot - but all the examples I have seen just deliver a coloured line with arrows to follow = not what I want.

There is a great need to be able to 'see' where I am in the world - as in my position on a map.

And the wish to follow a route (that often seems to be downloadable in .gpx format) - but also get to that route from wherever I might choose to start.

When I was up in the forest earlier and stopped to get my phone out, none of my mapping apps showed where I was - OS Maps, Google Maps, Apple Maps :-[ (well they sort of did but no mapping was available)

I hope someone will take pity on and gently nudge me in the right direction to begin with, please?

🤞🙏

« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 06:10:12 pm »
Talking of airshows, I've attended a hill near Fairford most years for the past 18.

I think last year might be my final. I don't know why, but I've finally got bored of them. The standard fare of Red Arrows, Typhoons, F16s, Gripens etc  are just too samey. 

If there is an F18 flown by the Finnish, Swiss or Spanish, or if the Italian or Korean military display teams are there then it's fun. B52s and B1, B2 are worth the trip, but they are infrequent flying guests.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 06:09:21 pm »
Saturday Night Special ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10