Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165168 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3950 on: 04 June, 2011, 06:56:16 pm »
The cheap camera (which drowned when NOTHING HAPPENED at Stepping Stones during the incident that shall never be spoken of again) has spent the night and most of today in my airing cupboard.  After re-installing the AAAs and setting the time and date, it now works fine.

that's like asking turkeys to vote for Xmas.  ;D

I'm pleased that your camera turns out to be waterproof ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3951 on: 05 June, 2011, 07:06:06 am »
We have a new car*!  :thumbsup:

Mr R finally decided to go for it and we are now the proud owners of a Hyundai i30 1.6CRDi Premium.  It's a 5 door hatchback - but the back seats fold down really flat to get the bikes in and it might even take the trike (with the boom shortened).

Fuel consumption is good as well, as it's a diesel: Urban 53 mpg, Extra Urban 69 mpg with a Combined 63 mpg.  And CO2 emissions are 119 g/km making it £30 per year to tax. 

I wouldn't normally suggest another car on the road is a good thing, but we needed to get a new one, as the old one was heavy on the fuel and becoming unreliable.

*It's not brand new.  It's a year old and an ex-fleet car - but it's new to us.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3952 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:56:51 am »
At some point on Friday night's little adventure, my total odo passed the 2000km point.  To say that I only fitted it it only got fitted when Kim came to visit in the middle of March, and it tends to not count the dark miles because it objects to my lights, I don't think that's too shabby.  'Specially since I'm really just a utility cyclist who has been sadly led astray by a bunch of strange people off the internet.....

« Reply #3953 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:52:39 pm »
Thing is, if time is short for a trip, a car to carry bikes to a reasonable starting point is fair enough, another year and we will go for a Peugeot estate to get both (folded trikes in), I trikle more miles than we both drive , but ! as said before  ;D

We have a new car*!  :thumbsup:

Mr R finally decided to go for it and we are now the proud owners of a Hyundai i30 1.6CRDi Premium.  It's a 5 door hatchback - but the back seats fold down really flat to get the bikes in and it might even take the trike (with the boom shortened).

Fuel consumption is good as well, as it's a diesel: Urban 53 mpg, Extra Urban 69 mpg with a Combined 63 mpg.  And CO2 emissions are 119 g/km making it £30 per year to tax. 

I wouldn't normally suggest another car on the road is a good thing, but we needed to get a new one, as the old one was heavy on the fuel and becoming unreliable.

*It's not brand new.  It's a year old and an ex-fleet car - but it's new to us.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3954 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »
The cheap camera (which drowned when NOTHING HAPPENED at Stepping Stones during the incident that shall never be spoken of again) has spent the night and most of today in my airing cupboard.  After re-installing the AAAs and setting the time and date, it now works fine.

Even with a crack in the lens?  Or is that just some outer protective bit that doesn't do a lot optically on a cheapo camera?

My camera is not so lucky.  The mechanical bits are now refusing to budge at all, and it's turning itself off in disgust citing "lens error".  The memory card wasn't corrupted though, so I did at least have the photos of the first day of the mild tour.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3955 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »
At some point on Friday night's little adventure, my total odo passed the 2000km point.  To say that I only fitted it it only got fitted when Kim came to visit in the middle of March, and it tends to not count the dark miles because it objects to my lights, I don't think that's too shabby.  'Specially since I'm really just a utility cyclist who has been sadly led astray by a bunch of strange people off the internet.....

I should say so  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3956 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »

Even with a crack in the lens?  Or is that just some outer protective bit that doesn't do a lot optically on a cheapo camera?

My camera is not so lucky.  The mechanical bits are now refusing to budge at all, and it's turning itself off in disgust citing "lens error".  The memory card wasn't corrupted though, so I did at least have the photos of the first day of the mild tour.

Is that the dreaded Canon E18 error? TTDTGTTS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3957 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »
Is that the dreaded Canon E18 error? TTDTGTTS.

It's a cheapo Acer, so I'm not especially fussed or surprised, other than not being entirely clear what caused the problem in the first place.  I assume a mechanical problem from all the comedy off-roading causing a motor to overheat, cooking the rest of the mechanicals to death (it was hot and non-functional when I discovered the problem).

Several hours later, on being given new batteries, it would start up but the image was black whatever you jibbled, as if the shutter/aperture was stuck closed.  Percussive maintenance failed to cure the problem, and eventually the lens retraction mechanism jammed too.

Memory card was fine though, so I had some photos.

« Reply #3958 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »
Percussive maintenance

;D

Or, 'itting it wiv a big 'ammer?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3959 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »
The apparrent crack in the lens was just a trail of condensation. So it all went after 24 hours in the airing cupboard.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3960 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:27:48 pm »
Or maybe you've got a magic airing cupboard...  Have you checked it for pine trees and snow?

« Reply #3961 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:59:54 pm »
What, exactly, didn't happen, & how did its failure to happen not cause two cameras to get wet? Was anything else wet, after nothing happened?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3962 on: 05 June, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »
There's a photo of nothing happening here.

My camera didn't get wet.  It just spontaneously cooked itself to death during normal riding.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #3963 on: 06 June, 2011, 01:49:08 am »
I just walked into my hotel room to find a plate of nommy nom food and a nice bottle of wine with an envelope on which is written "Welcome Mr and Mrs Irwin Prince". My name is neither Irwin, nor Prince, I'm not a Mrs and there is definitely no Mr with me.

I spoke to the front desk who apologised for the confusion and told me to enjoy it  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3964 on: 06 June, 2011, 08:01:36 pm »

Re: What are you doing right now?

« Reply #8730 on: Today at 03:12:06 PM »

Reply with quote | Modify message | Remove message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for a "come & collect me" phone call from mrs. jogler who is having more minor day-surgery relating to spinal nerve damage.
Pensive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mrs. jogler is home now.A bit wobbly on her pins(Bambi-legs)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3965 on: 06 June, 2011, 08:38:59 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for a "come & collect me" phone call from mrs. jogler who is having more minor day-surgery relating to spinal nerve damage.
Pensive

\o/, now stop posting on here and make her a cuppa!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3966 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »

Pensive

\o/, now stop posting on here and make her a cuppa!

I have had my longed for cuppa and somthing to eat, he just has to do it for the next 48 hours  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3967 on: 07 June, 2011, 07:07:02 am »
Hugs from me Marj...  :-*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3968 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:10:57 am »
Hugs from me Marj...  :-*

And me.  GWS
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3969 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:31:57 am »
My younger son and his girlfriend have just acquired a dog, Billy the Beagle.

He's a 7-year-old rescue dog who used to inhabit Waltham Abbey and has now moved to upmarket Wivenhoe.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3970 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:50:18 am »
Married 36 years (to the same woman) and still wildly in lust  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3971 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:56:39 am »
That's splendid news.  I have another 35 years to look forward to till I get to that point, and I think it will be great when I do. :D
Getting there...

« Reply #3972 on: 07 June, 2011, 12:49:47 pm »
Enjoy them, they (the years) soon disappear  :) not a bad thing as twould be terrible to stand still

« Reply #3973 on: 07 June, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
Enigma (Mark) say they'll definitely have my frame back to Hewitt's next week  ::-)

It's either going tomorrow for a Friday delivery or Friday for Saturday.
They're going to send me pictures tomorrow.

Well it was only a week later (so bang on time by Enigma's standards  ::-) ).
I'm picking it up from Hewitt's on Thursday  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3974 on: 07 June, 2011, 06:50:01 pm »
Let's put a positive spin on this. Nephew Oli's foot doesn't seem to hurt anymore, now it's in plaster.

He's done a Beckham, and is plastered to the knee.

I just spoke to him, and after an interlude while he shouted his message loud enough for me to hear without the aid of BT, I'm informed that he has a dinosaur magazine, and it's for big boys.

Apparently, he's only just been learning about fossils and bones and stuff, so his Xrays interested him...

After his tricycle-faceplant at nursery a few weeks back, my sister expects a visit from the social any minute...

She's wondering if it would be safer to just plaster him up to the neck, as a precaution.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk