Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 136255 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #750 on: 08 December, 2021, 05:22:08 pm »
We have discovered today that there are three separate views available to the AUK calendar - thus solving the mystery of why we have had a trickle of preprinted entry forms for the 2022 event - even though it doesn't open till the end of January 2022.
This is due to an update - or fault - on the AUK website(s).

If you look at the full version of the calendar entry (you have to click "more" to see this!!) you'll see that the date for entries opening is PROVISIONALLY 31 Jan 2022. We are not sure yet that the BCM2022 will go ahead. It will depend on a number of factors.

Further to this, if there is a lock down in January, the event will be cancelled for 2022.

If, in good faith, you sent an entry when the event was opened (not by us) earlier this Autumn, AND we haven't sent you a message to the contrary, your entry will be honoured. We will not be processing your payment until we know that the event is definitely going ahead.

Any entries received from today and before WE open the event at the end of January will be returned.

We still are unsure about what will be permitted in terms of Covid 19 regs, from the Welsh Government and the various independent organisations who form the network we use as our infrastructure. Until we have a better idea of this, we will not be able to proceed. Therefore the date of 31 Jan for opening the entry is PROVISIONAL. We have not set the entry fee for the event yet.

Please also note it is very likely that the number of places will be lower than "usual". There will not be a waiting list.

As we don't know how many AUKs look into this YACF forum - perhaps those of you riding events could draw the attention of fellow AUKs to the situation.

Thank you

« Reply #751 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:17:21 pm »
If you look at the full version of the calendar entry . . . you'll see that the date for entries opening is PROVISIONALLY 31 Jan 2022. We are not sure yet that the BCM2022 will go ahead. It will depend on a number of factors.
Therefore the date of 31 Jan for opening the entry is PROVISIONAL. We have not set the entry fee for the event yet.
Thank you
Quote above edited. Audax UK calendar event now showing as entries provisionally opening 1 March (@ £65).
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9126
I shall be maintaining a RwGPS route and will try to keep up with any minor amendments Ritchie makes to the recommended route.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
As an aside, perhaps the thread originator could amend its title to 2022 ( @whosatthewheel not sure still OTP)

« Reply #752 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:15:25 am »
Giving this a bump as I have a place for this year's ride, which will be my first 600. Please post your top tips!

« Reply #753 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:55:30 am »
Giving this a bump as I have a place for this year's ride, which will be my first 600. Please post your top tips!
1) After the first control, to get off the fast A470 on a holiday Saturday morning, take the 'back road' through Boughrood (east side of R Wye) - this is the flat route south 400km later and is about a km longer.
2) 6.9km after the turn off the A470 (Dolgellau bypass), be ready for a counter-intuitive shift to your lowest gear when, going downhill at speed, you see the left hand turn road sign before the turn up to King's. Cycle 9ish hours and repeat; in the dark.
3) Make sure to count the parking tickets on the way up to Pen-y-pass (it's the answer to the info control question).
4) The controls at King's, Menai Bridge and Aberhafesp (Edit: last one not in 2022) all provide ossum food (thank you Ritchie, @catswhiskas and all vols). Don't plan on great sleep at King's, whenever you arrive.
5) Recommend the back road out of Newtown (1st exit at rbt onto the Middle Dolfor Road) rather than toiling up the busy A483. Shorter, and climb is the same.
6) If more food / ice creams needed on the final leg your options are Talgarth (Co-op) or in Abergavenny.
7) Recommend the back road out of Talgarth (Penbont Road) rather than toiling up the busy A479. Shorter, shadier, super quiet and climb is (obviously) the same.
8) Keep an eye open for the 'Warning Alpacas crossing" sign at the last col.
9) If you're going to use any drop bag option, choose a bag that colourfully 'stands out' from the crowd (and I put a reflective strap on mine).
Think Adam's videos are well worth a watch:
2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyotlUgS8FM
2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQeoid7Lb80
2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPSayqyQb4

« Reply #754 on: 05 April, 2022, 03:05:51 pm »
Be prepared for it to be colder than you might expect.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #755 on: 06 April, 2022, 08:14:25 am »
Simultaneously, be prepared for it to be hotter than you might expect.

I did ride the BCM in 2018, the night was very cold but the next day someone had to give up (after some 500km) because of heat stroke.

« Reply #756 on: 06 April, 2022, 10:29:11 am »
1) After the first control, to get off the fast A470 at on a holiday Saturday morning, take the 'back road' through Boughrood (east side of R Wye) - this is the flat route south 400km later and is about a km longer.
2) 6.9km after the turn off the A470 (Dolgellau bypass), be ready for a counter-intuitive shift to your lowest gear when, going downhill at speed, you see the left hand turn road sign before the turn up to King's. Cycle 9ish hours and repeat; in the dark.
3) Make sure to count the parking tickets on the way up to Pen-y-pass.
4) The controls at King's, Menai Bridge and Aberhafesp all provide ossum food (thank you Ritchie, @catswhiskas and all vols). Don't plan on great sleep at King's, whenever you arrive.
5) Recommend the back road out of Newtown (L at rbt on the Middle Dolfor Road) rather than toiling up the bust A483. Shorter and climb is the same.
6) If more food needed on the final leg your options are Talgarth (Co-op) or in Abergavenny.
7) Recommend the back road out of Talgarth (Penbont Road) rather than toiling up the busy A479. Shorter, shadier, super quiet and climb is (obviously) the same.
8) Keep an eye open for the 'Warning Alpacas crossing" sign at the last col.
9) If you're going to use any drop bag option, choose a bag that colourfully 'stands out' from the crowd (and I put a reflective strap on mine).
Think Adam's videos are well worth a watch:
2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyotlUgS8FM
2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQeoid7Lb80
2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPSayqyQb4

Thanks. I gather we're free to pick our own route provided we go through the controls?

Nuncio & Zed43. Noted - clothes to suit all occasions!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #757 on: 06 April, 2022, 03:36:42 pm »

"If I could offer you only one tip for the future bryan chapman memorial, sunscreen would be it
A long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
Than my own meandering experience, I will dispense this advice now"

If you're fast enough to sleep, book a BnB in Penrhyndeudraeth, the route crosses through on the way up (check in) and on the way back (sleep). If you bank on sleeping at Kings you will be lucky to get more than 2 hours.
It is likely to rain at some point on the ride, and rain hard. Be prepared.
It's a bit of a desert between Kings and the next control southbound, carry food.
The road before the entrance to King's YHA is flat and fast, but you will need to be in your lowest gear before making the left turn

"Be careful whose advice you buy but be patient with those who supply it
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past
From the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts
And recycling it for more than it's worth
But trust me on the sunscreen"

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #758 on: 26 April, 2022, 09:24:16 am »
Hi Ransos and others

You will get detailed guidance and route sheet  - it's in prep at the moment. Covid has made the whole event quite a challenge and over a protracted time.

You can work out the terrain and its demands from the routes available in various places from previous years' events. Suffice it to say - it is 600 km so longer than most AUK events...you do go along coast where you can get magnificent views but also some of our best Welsh drizzle and a brisk cross / head wind. You will go from coastal plain over some quite steepish hills (I've heard the route described as "rolling"). You get to quite an altitude - and this tends to be in the late / early hours so it can tip to near freezing. As mentioned elsewhere it can within hours be at the other extreme.

We have been very lucky with the weather for the Chapman. We've had very little rain in April here so I am wondering what we'll have for Mid May - will our luck hold...don't know...

The big advantage over many of the other 600's is that there are controls with facilities and food - it isn't all cafes and garages.

You need to be aware - if you're not familiar with Wales - at night it is largely unlit - so it will be dark - be prepared. You will need a torch in case you ned to do repairs.

Make sure your bike is good to go - if it's clicking and whizzing in a strange way now, get it fixed and tested before you join us. There is no broom waggon. We suggest that you use straightforward kit and tyres so there's a greater chance of getting it fixed and you getting back on the road.

Picking up a couple of points in this thread ... There is NO BAG DROP this year. (See calendar for the event) AND the event will NOT BE USING ABERHAFESP Village Hall. Plan accordingly.

Hope this helps. If you have questions after you've had the detailed briefing please email the organisers for a definitive answer. As long as you're reasonably fit, you should be fine and the route shows you the most beautiful parts of Wales. The travelling company is supportive and you'll be able to say you've completed one of "The Rough Guide's 100 best bike rides in the world."

See you there!

« Reply #759 on: 05 May, 2022, 11:37:07 am »
Thanks Catswiskas, I confirmed I've received the guidance and route sheet which is very helpful. The main change seems to be that the only catered, staffed controls are King's and Menai. Everything else is a free control. Plus no bag drop.

« Reply #760 on: 11 May, 2022, 10:51:51 am »
Fingers crossed that the weather forecast is accurate...

Notfromrugby

« Reply #761 on: 11 May, 2022, 07:48:23 pm »
Thanks Catswiskas, I confirmed I've received the guidance and route sheet which is very helpful. The main change seems to be that the only catered, staffed controls are King's and Menai. Everything else is a free control. Plus no bag drop.

Bit annoying that you get to miss a full English at Aber-whatever, but shouldn't make a huge difference if you set off from Kings late enough

« Reply #762 on: 12 May, 2022, 03:23:31 pm »
Yes Ransos the staffed controls this year are ONLY Menai and Dolgellau (the finish will be staffed too). Bit concerned about your comment about "free controls" - we do ask that you buy a drink / bar or snack - don't just ask for your card to be stamped and use the loos.. These are small rural businesses who really appreciate the custom that an Audax ride like BCM provides. (Remember Wales has been "closed" for much longer during the pandemic than in England too)

"Not from Rugby" - Sorry about the breakfast disappointment . There are lots of caffs en route for Full English if you need them. if you had the responsibility for organising the logistics, supply lines, staffing and the budget for this event you'd appreciate why Aberhafesp has bitten the dust this year. The organiser and catswiskas  have to meet any shortfalls in funding personally. We took a hefty hit on the cancelled 2020  event - as we'd already bought most of the groceries before lock down. We've been the cost of Dolgellau hostel out of pocket for over 2 years waiting for the chance to do the event. Organisers do not get finance from AUK, and BCM (which is probably the largest event in the calendar) is not cheap to run especially as we've restricted the field this year because of  Covid.

Good news is the weather looks OK at time of replying to you all

« Reply #763 on: 12 May, 2022, 04:03:10 pm »
Hi Catswiskas, my comment was based on the email from Ritchie which says "This means we only have manned controls at King’s and Menai. Everything else is a free control so you can choose where you want to go. Any till or ATM receipt or photo is valid."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #764 on: 12 May, 2022, 05:24:33 pm »
Bit concerned about your comment about "free controls"

standard terminology for "use any shop/cafe/petrol station receipt from the town."

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #765 on: 12 May, 2022, 05:25:54 pm »
That's OK Ransos - we're on the same hymn sheet! :)

It's just we've had riders in the past who DO think it's OK to go in  busy cafs and ask for a card to be stamped but don't support the business in a practical way. it's a bit embarrassing for us as organisers

« Reply #766 on: 13 May, 2022, 02:00:29 pm »
I'd better get packing.

« Reply #767 on: 16 May, 2022, 06:38:07 pm »
Excellent event!  Thanks to all those who helped, and ministered to the riders.  Good to see old friends again. 

« Reply #768 on: 22 October, 2022, 05:20:34 pm »
Bumping this thread as I think it's the main BCM thread which has been re-titled each year (though not this year). Maybe the @moderators could change it to 2023?
Audax UK page: https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10222-bryan_chapman_memorial___welsh_end_to_end
which says "Audax Club Bristol have taken on the running of this Classic in the 11th hour. Entry will open soon once final costs have been determined, expect about £65 similar to last. Watch this space, please don't email!"
The possible route seems 'interesting':
"600km cycling event starting from Chepstow. Controls at Bronllys, Llangurig, Dolgellau, Llanberis Pass: Tbc, Menai Bridge, Dolgellau, Aberdyfi, Newtown: Free Control and Chepstow., plus 3 information controls."
1) Specifying the village of Llangurig (as opposed to Llanidloes town/cafe/Coop) implies not going via Staylittle and the Machynlleth mountain road, but I can't see an option.
2) Assuming "Aberdyfi" (Aberdovey) after Dolgellau going south is not a mis-ID, riding round the Tywyn peninsula is a great route. However Dolgellau to Newton on the time-honoured route is 69km. Via Aberdovey it's 89km.
3) And the final leg (without constraint of info controls) from Newtown to Chepstow 'direct' offers some interesting possibilities.
The route for the last few years has headed south via a control at Llandridod Wells and past Bronllys retracing the route out for the last few hours, after Boughrood bridge. 147km + 1559m.
The (an) alternative is via Knighton, Presteigne, Kington and Monmouth, keeping east of the Black Mountains, and finishing down the Wye past Tintern Abbey, which comes in at 145km + 1676m.

« Reply #769 on: 22 October, 2022, 05:42:33 pm »
Well, it did used to go through Weobly. And everyone would sit on the lawn outside the Spar eating ice cream. Happy days.

« Reply #770 on: 22 October, 2022, 06:11:32 pm »
Well, it did used to go through Weobly. And everyone would sit on the lawn outside the Spar eating ice cream. Happy days.
Get back to your notional May 2020 food choices: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115672.msg2498407#msg2498407

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #771 on: 22 October, 2022, 06:15:45 pm »
It is )still) listed with 8459m of climbing, which means it ticks off the requirement of a 600km with 8000+m of climbing for the ACP 10000 award. If validated / sanctioned by ACP.

« Reply #772 on: 22 October, 2022, 06:48:25 pm »
Get back to your notional May 2020 food choices: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115672.msg2498407#msg2498407

I think that post was inspired by an abandon of mine on a Mark Rigby 600 that was sort BCM esque but had more gratuitous climbing in it. Got to Machynlleth and just really fancied chilling in a hotel bar with a few pints do I did. Then posted photos of my evening to sone of the remaining riders. I can't remember when it was.

« Reply #773 on: 23 October, 2022, 11:04:22 am »
Hi all.

To confirm ACB have taken it on. I'm the lead organiser with input from the rest of the committee/orgs and a good amount of help from the members and others secured so far; including the creator. If you want to volunteer please DM me; there will be a mass helpers ride and free entry to any of my other PBP qualifier events.

Llangurig vs Llandiloes - it still goes through Llandiloes over the Mach mountain road, an info location may change.
Aberdyfi - an additional sleep stop an hour from Kings on an easy ride round the coast.
Newtown and on - reverting to a similar route as before up and over from Dolfor to Knighton but not as far east as Woebley.
It will be just over 600km and 8.25AAA

It is )still) listed with 8459m of climbing, which means it ticks off the requirement of a 600km with 8000+m of climbing for the ACP 10000 award. If validated / sanctioned by ACP.
Unfortunately ACP use a different tool to validate their climb, as such the BCM would need to be at least a 9AAA event. This will be considered for non PBP/LEL years; probably once every 4.

Still pulling everything together so unlikely to respond but entries will open sooner rather than later.

« Reply #774 on: 23 October, 2022, 04:57:48 pm »
Mike has shared this:
. . .  the Menai Suspension Bridge has been closed.  It was closed to all traffic and pedestrians without warning on Friday 21st October although pedestrians are now permitted across in limited numbers.  Cyclists are permitted to walk their bikes over the suspension bridge, but I don't know how the numbers are limited and I'm not sure what the provisions are for access at night.  The alternative crossing is the Britannia Bridge but that is going to be busier than ever.
I'll review this between now and next May.  I might have to keep the ride on the mainland and visit Caernarfon instead. 
Does this also affect the Brian Chapman ride?
Will has acknowledged on the other thread.
After [knee-jerk] complete closure pm 21 Oct, "the footway across the bridge has been re-opened for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists: people must remain on the pedestrian footways and numbers will be limited."
They surely don't want cyclists to use the (A55 trunk) Britannia Bridge (the approach roads are dual carriageway with zero shoulder reducing to a tight single carriageway on the bridge) so i suspect/hope that proportionality of risk will prevail and they allow cyclists and pedestrians to use the suspension bridge keeping these two user sets separate (ie peds on footway; cyclists on carriageway) for the greater safety of all.
The Welsh Government decided in July to replace the hangers (and <7.5t weight restricted the traffic) but pre-work testing revealed things were worse than thought.
It has been reported that: (Welsh Government) " . . . the bridge is likely to remain closed until the New Year while repairs are made." So all sorted by May, then.