Author Topic: Charging a Bolt  (Read 1578 times)

Charging a Bolt
« on: 10 March, 2019, 10:12:34 am »
Does anyone know the best way to charge a Bolt during a ride?  Used it yesterday on a 200 Audax and it was great but suspect would not last power wise on a 300 or above.  Can it be charged directly from a dynamo or is it best to use a batter pack, and if so can anyone recommend one.  Thanks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Charging a Bolt
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:41:09 am »
Either option works but why not just charge it while stopped at a control? There can be issues with charging during wet weather, vibration induced wear of the plug/ socket, etc if charging while riding but most of those hassles can be avoided with some thought beforehand.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2019, 12:59:47 pm »
I charge mine from a power pack, but beware that it may not automatically keep the GPS at 100% charge. I find it better to plug it in mid-ride, and monitor if it is charging every few hours.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »
Put the battery charge state on your primary display screen.

I've charged on the go from my power bank but it does suffer from vibration damage thankfully in the cable.

You don't get much extra charge in during a short stop but should be enough to keep it going on a daylight 300

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2019, 12:32:40 am »

I charge mine from a battery pack when I stop at controls, you can get a good 20-30% in about 15 mins at a control, if you stop for lunch, 30 mins will put plenty of charge in to complete a 300, even with back light on for half of it.

I have an extra mount on my stem for charging on the go if I really need to. With the mount I have on mine (hide my bell), there isn't enough space to fit in the right angle connector I have (I got a 90° right angle usb cable just for this purpose), but on the stem mount, it fits just fine. I've used it maybe 3 times in nearly 18 months. But it's really useful if it's not raining and you forgot to charge earlier in a ride, and you just want to top it up...

I wouldn't plug it into a dynamo, you'll knacker the battery. Use a battery pack.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/