Author Topic: Etrex 20, Repair or Replace  (Read 3153 times)

Etrex 20, Repair or Replace
« on: 14 March, 2019, 01:35:49 pm »
After 4.5 years use and over 30,000 miles the rubber cover of my Etrex 20 back button has split.
It's still working okay and will be okay for dry weather but I suspect taking out on wet days could prove terminal
It also has a crack the full length of the screen, but that's been there for 4 years and with a screen protector in place isn't a problem.

Garmin are quoting £75 to replace it for me. I'm not sure if the replacement is new or used.

I'm very happy with the Etrex & use it extensively so the alternatives are:

a) Garmin replacement at £75
b) New Etrex 20x at £145 (the Etrex 20 being no longer available) & keep the old as a spare or sell on Ebay
c) repair the split myself with glue or silicone
d) Replace with an Edge model, new or used

My feeling is it would be better to spend the extra money & buy a Etrex 20x, but I'm not sure how much the 20x differs & if it's regarded as better, worse or just different.

Opinions would be welcomed

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Etrex 20, Repair or Replace
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2019, 01:50:07 pm »
My Etrex 30 went tits up so I’ve ordered a Garmin replacement. I think they are reconditioned which should be fine.

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2019, 02:44:56 pm »
You could have a look at a used Etrex, I find CEX quicker than waiting for Ebay to turn something up:
https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=etrex%2020

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2019, 04:31:19 pm »
A number of the Edge models (and for that matter the current crop of Etrexes) are known to be buggy, so check before you buy.

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2019, 02:41:34 pm »
in the end my page select button completely fell off

I trimmed the edges and cut a pencil rubber to fit in the hole.

I covered the hole with some insulation tape and bought a silicon case to cover the whole unit

it's still water tight and running ok

good luck

Ian

« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2019, 03:49:16 pm »
I've had two so called “reconditioned” at reduced price and both were brand new.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
Bodging a repair (see Ian above) shouldn't be too difficult.  A bit of self-amalgamating tape maybe.  Though my local 'four candles' shop charged me a fortune for a roll of that the other day.

My feeling is it would be better to spend the extra money & buy a Etrex 20x, but I'm not sure how much the 20x differs & if it's regarded as better, worse or just different.

My opinion (we've got a 30 and two 30x) is that the older model is preferable.  The newer one has a higher-resolution screen and in its normal state (no backlight, just relying on transflective effect) it is not as light or as contrasty as the old screen, and if you're navigating a Track (wiggly magenta line) the line is a bit narrower so less visible (to my poor old eyes).  Otherwise, no significant difference.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2019, 06:32:52 pm »
My eTrex 20 usb socket failed in 2016 due to running off Dynamo on too many rough roads. I went the Garmin replacement route. The units are reconditioned and apart from it being set to French was good as new. No problems with the new unit and I don't bother running off Dynamo these days.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:19:32 pm »
My old etrex 20 fell off the mount one time too many and the screen didn't work

I bought a new 20x

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:14:43 pm »
Thanks for all the advice

As I'm familiar with 20 & happy with using it I've decided to opt for returning it to Garmin for replacement

The broken 20 cost me £100 from Amazon Black Friday in 2013 and has covered a lot of Km, so I've had my moneys worth out of it.

If I get the same amount of use from the replacement I'll be quite happy.

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »
Update:

Broken Etrex 20 sent off to Garmin & received what looks like a brand new 20x almost by return of post.

The pre-installed maps are fine for me (1), perhaps even a little clearer than Velo Maps which I was using

Routing (which I use occassionally) seems to be a bit different from the results I was getting. Presumably would go back to what I'm use to if I chose to load Velo Maps & the associated preference settings.

I like the fact the installed maps cover Western Europe, that will be useful in August.

Overall I'm happy with the outcome.

(1) mild myopia allows me to get away without using distance glassesfor most things and I get an stay of execution for the onset of presbyopia - Win Win :)