Author Topic: Boonen In  (Read 1939 times)

ChrisO

Boonen In
« on: 03 July, 2009, 01:35:34 pm »
His court appeal has been successful and he can start the Tour.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Boonen In
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »
Cav says he likes it, because it means Quickstep will also be working to set up sprints.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »
Im begining to think Pete Docherty would get a ride if he so desired. ::-) ::-)

ChrisO

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2009, 02:57:02 pm »
Imagine his biological passport.

Wonder if Boonen starting means Davis won't - I may have to adjust my Fantasy team.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2009, 03:51:39 pm »

Wonder if Boonen starting means Davis won't - I may have to adjust my Fantasy team.

Is he actually starting or is he just allowed to if he/Quick Step wants?
a great mind thinks alike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »

He is keen to start as he's heard that french roads have white lines in the middle of them

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
Good grief.  I like Boonen as a rider, but that's a farcical decision.
Getting there...

ChrisO

« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »

They haven't said yet. He wasn't in the team presentation but he is in Monaco apparently.

One assumes that the Quick Step directeur sportif would be making a very brave and career-defining decision if he decided not to race Boonen in favour of Davis. Can't see that happening.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:33:59 pm »

They haven't said yet. He wasn't in the team presentation but he is in Monaco apparently.

One assumes that the Quick Step directeur sportif would be making a very brave and career-defining decision if he decided not to race Boonen in favour of Davis. Can't see that happening.

Boonen lives in Monaco doesn't he?
a great mind thinks alike

ChrisO

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

According to BBC:

"We can confirm the ruling by the French Olympic Committee, and that Tom Boonen will start the Tour de France on Saturday," said a Quick Step spokesman.

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »
What grounds did they have for excluding someone who broke civil, not cycling rules? Isn't it a bit like excluding him for unpaid parking fines?

ChrisO

« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2009, 06:21:13 pm »
Basically yes - except that taking cocaine, when you are already under a suspended sentence, is slightly more frowned upon than illegal parking fines.

It was ASO who attempted to exclude him. I suppose their point of view is that the Tour is their event and they can invite who they like. Just as they have excluded teams in the past, or chosen not to give invitations.

That was partly what the whole row between them and the UCI was about, with the UCI demanding that the Tour invite the top 20 UCI teams, which would have given them control of who entered.

« Reply #12 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
It was on French news earlier and as you might imagine, the tour organisers aren't too happy that the lead story leading up to the Tour is illegal drug use, even if it isn't a sporting code violation.

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »

The BBC is reporting that Davis is out as a consequence of Boonen's "victory".