Author Topic: S Video output  (Read 1472 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
S Video output
« on: 02 December, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
I've been trying to connect my laptop (Acer Travelmate 423WLMi) to my TV. I have what appears to be an S Video socket on the laptop (small 7 pin female connector) and an S video - Scart cable.

Plug in, select two displays (Fn F5) and shazzam! - the TV output is in black and white.

Updated graphics driver, no better.

Some reading tells me how the S video output has two signals, luminance and chrominance with separate earths. The other 3 pins are presumably L and R sound plus earth.

The adaptor combines (or should combine) the luminance and chrominance into a composite input for the scart. At a guess I'm missing the chromonance signal. Where's it gone?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: S Video output
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:31:34 pm »
S Video doesn't carry sound
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »
OK, I'm happy with no sound. But despite silent movies being in B&W, I'd like colour please.

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:49:28 pm »
It's possible that your television can be switched between Composite, RGB and S Video input via the Scart, so check the On Screen Display Menu. Also check if the Scart is switchable between input and output. An S video to Scart cable must also have an audio element, either it has a 3.5 mm jack plug which goes in the blue socket next to the green and pink ones on the laptop, or it has male RCA plugs, one red and one white. if it has those you will need a female RCA to 3.5mm jack plug cable as well. or there may be a pair of female RCAs on the Scart, in which case you need a male RCA to 3.5 mm jack plug cable.
Also check on the display properties in Control Panel that you have enabled S Video and not Composite.

Damon.

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:50:21 pm »
Make sure you set your laptop to output in PAL not NTSC

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:11:15 pm »
Converting the split S-video to composite is easy - just connect the 2 earths of the S-video lead to the outer of a phono plug, and the 2 signal wires to the middle terminal of the composite.

It sounds as if you've only got one signal line connected on the set-up you have.

Composite to s-video is more difficult and where you usually get problems with B&W result - it can be done by building a simle filter (a couple of capacitors and resistors) or Maplin do a converter plug that works.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:15:11 pm »
It's possible that your television can be switched between Composite, RGB and S Video input via the Scart, so check the On Screen Display Menu.

Hah! Got it.  Although the TV has 2 physical scart inputs, it has three settings, the third of which is labelled YC2 on the on screen display. And that comes out in colour!  Which I guess is like choosing between Composite, RGB and S Video.

Also check if the Scart is switchable between input and output. An S video to Scart cable must also have an audio element, either it has a 3.5 mm jack plug which goes in the blue socket next to the green and pink ones on the laptop, or it has male RCA plugs, one red and one white. if it has those you will need a female RCA to 3.5mm jack plug cable as well. or there may be a pair of female RCAs on the Scart, in which case you need a male RCA to 3.5 mm jack plug cable.

Got the sound sorted, thanks. The adaptor I have does have a set of male RCAs.  I think I'll run a connection direct to my amp though.

Now ready to watch downloaded stuff on the slightly bigger screen