Author Topic: Fargo - no, the TV series  (Read 6778 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Fargo - no, the TV series
« on: 23 April, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
I know this got some mentions in some other thread, but having seen Ep1 I feel it deserves its own thread.

(Actually, B-BT's scenes have earned it - the rest of it was probably fairly average. But B-BT is verrrrrry good ... )

If you like Coen stuff (or B-BT), give this a go. And it's free!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Fargo - no, the TV series
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
Haven't seen it yet but want to. Looks like Billy-Bob's coat will spark a surge of "To be on people's 'want' list."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
Unlike his haircut.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2014, 09:07:27 am »
I'll copy my post from another thread...

Episode 1 was really good.  Thornton was truly menacing, especially the scene when he was stopped by the traffic Cop (which reminded me of the Gas-Station attendant scene in "No Country for Old Men").

Martin Freeman is especially good I think because I soon forgot it was an English Hobbit doing an accent.
I lived in Minnesota for a year and it's a subtle and unexpected accent that the (true) locals have .
My colleagues were Ingrams, Olsens and Jungwirths among other Scando-Germanic names..think "Little House on the Prairie".  In fact I rarely came across what you may call an "English" surname.
It seems that the Scandinavians, tired of the freezing cold and remoteness, emigrated somewhere just as bloody cold and remote.

True Minnesotans are a very warm people, quite innocent, slow talking and without any mean-spirited sense of sarcasm.  That's why I was so happy to leave.

Me - "Sorry I'm late for work again, I was attacked by Bears"
Them - "Really?  Again?"
Me  -"No.  I was joking.  Again"
Them - "Ahhh, No Bears again then?"
Me - "No, no Bears, again".

I'm not quite sure why it's called Fargo though, it's not set in Fargo (which is isn't even in Minner-sodah).  There's probably a good reason, one I can't be arsed to investigate.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jakob

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2014, 12:50:12 am »

Them - "Really?  Again?"

Very similar when I moved from Copenhagen to Aarhus.
Eventually I just went with it, until they realised that I was joking.
"I was attacked by bears"
"Really, again"
"Yeah, but this time the Martians landed and saved me just in the nick of time".
(them pondering for a bit)
"Are you sure they were Martians?"
etc..

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2014, 08:00:26 pm »
My colleagues were Ingrams, Olsens and Jungwirths among other Scando-Germanic names..think "Little House on the Prairie".  In fact I rarely came across what you may call an "English" surname.
It seems that the Scandinavians, tired of the freezing cold and remoteness, emigrated somewhere just as bloody cold and remote.

True Minnesotans are a very warm people, quite innocent, slow talking and without any mean-spirited sense of sarcasm.  That's why I was so happy to leave.

Them - "Really?  Again?"

I'm not quite sure why it's called Fargo though, it's not set in Fargo (which is isn't even in Minner-sodah).  There's probably a good reason, one I can't be arsed to investigate.
... and without any mean-spirited sense of sarcasm.  That's why I was so happy to leave.

<SNORT !>

My entire knowledge of the region is from the Lake Wobegon books (they support your view). Garrison Keillor does sarcasm, but with an incredibly delicate touch; it's a big part of his humour for me.
(are Canadians known to do sarcasm? I vaguely recall something about this ... )

I did 8 seconds of googling. Fargo ND is just inches from the Minner-sodah border. It's 250 miles from Duluth (which I THINK is where this series is set). Apart from Minnesota (the city), Fargo is one of the nearest big towns.
In Ep2 some sinister folks turn up from Fargo ND, so there is some link. But it's probably not important.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »
My conclusion so far is it's the best of its kind that I've seen.

I haven't checked whether the execs have decided to milk it until it dies a tedious, unresolved, death but, so far, it's been great.  Dark humour in spades.

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
My conclusion so far is it's the best of its kind that I've seen.

I haven't checked whether the execs have decided to milk it until it dies a tedious, unresolved, death but, so far, it's been great.  Dark humour in spades.

It is a really good series so far.  The execs have said that if it is recommissioned then the setting will remain but the characters and storylines will be different.  I'm guessing there might be some recurrent themes and characters but this series will have an ending.  Hurrah!

Last year's most promising series (The Returned) went crap when they had obviously had another series commissioned.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2014, 05:57:06 pm »
I though the last couple were a little slow, and they might be dragging it out to make up the 10 hours.

But this week, with bullets and blood everywhere, it's picked up beautifully :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2014, 11:08:41 pm »
I spent most of the final episode wondering how they'd pull it off, and was expecting to be disappointed... but they ended it rather well.

Still don't get the American obsession with killing people with guns though, no wonder their schoolkids are going postal on a regular basis.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2014, 11:23:56 am »
Nicely done. 

(click to show/hide)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:11:32 pm »
There's one thing that bugged me though...

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2014, 12:31:26 pm »
I still have some remaining questions....

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, overall the whole series was "aces".

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »
Boy Wunja signed us up to a free trial of Netflix.

So we watched the first two episodes Fargo, then the next day (as it is on his Xbox) BW tuned us in to the third episode. Took a while to realise that the off kilter script was never going to join up with the first two episodes, because we were watching the 1996 film!  :hand:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »
Was I the only one a bit disappointed with the last episode? I was expecting a little more weird.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jakob

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2014, 10:18:41 pm »
Just started watching S1 and it's very good.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:29:51 am »
I still have some remaining questions....

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, overall the whole series was "aces".

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #18 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:38:55 am »

When Tom Hanks's boy went to Malvo's house in the woods and shot him. I know he's the bad guy in all of this but are citizens of the US allowed to execute suspected criminals? You couldn't even say it was self-defence. Or were we supposed to suspend disbelief in the name of gun-worship?

I think the point is that Malvo's MO was  to get people to make some sort of Faustian pact with him, whereby he would  get control of them and force them to make choices they didn't want to make and often to Malvo's own detriment.

This theme runs throughout, starting with the hospital scene, the lift scene and the final scene involving Malvo. Even though Malvo died, he'd provoked the reaction.

The motel scene where he gets the boy to piss in the car is to show that he isn't acting through any sort of morality.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:47:01 pm »
Interesting point Flatus, he had Nygaard by the bollocks from the start... but what power did he have on Gus Grimly?

« Reply #20 on: 26 July, 2014, 12:26:03 am »
He got him to kill him.

Malvo won.

See....

Fargo - Series 2 imminent
« Reply #21 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:47:38 pm »
Aaand - Fargo Series 2 starts @ EDIT 22:00 a week today (19th October) on C4  :thumbsup:

Set your PVR's now!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:04:42 pm »
Ah, thanks for the heads up :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #23 on: 12 October, 2015, 09:52:12 pm »
PVR set.

Thanks
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 13 October, 2015, 02:28:36 am »
I was still in the Gulag when S1 was first shown and am therefore taking steps to catch up.  Dr Larrington recommended it at the time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime