Author Topic: 2018 pre qualifier  (Read 12929 times)

Martin

2018 pre qualifier
« on: 27 June, 2018, 10:11:20 am »
Is there such a thing as a 1000 pre-qualifier this year? I ask because someone wants to do an ECE 1000 (which of course will not count) just wondering if a 1000 gives him any advantage over a 600 in terms of early entry next year

Thanks

rob

Re: 2018 pre qualifier
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:15:40 am »
you get to pre-enter 14 days earlier with a 1000 than a 600.

14th Jan rather than 28th Jan.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
Thanks  :)

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:02:19 pm »
What is the benefit of getting a longer distance, is it just greater chance of a place through earlier entry, or does it also give access to different starting slots for example, and all those who are able to enter early will get a better start time?

If we just wanted to make sure we get in shoud a 300 do it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
Earlier entry gives first choice of start times.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
What is the benefit of getting a longer distance, is it just greater chance of a place through earlier entry, or does it also give access to different starting slots for example, and all those who are able to enter early will get a better start time?

If we just wanted to make sure we get in shoud a 300 do it?

See thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107987.25 particularly this,

The advice from ACP to the delegates at the 2018 presentation was that you should aim to complete the longest possible BRM in 2018 in order to be sure of being able to pre-register.  (The pre-registration dates are at http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/).   They commented that since 2015 there has been a massive growth in randonneuring (what we call audax) around the world, and their back-of-the-fag-packet calculation was that:
a) if you do not ride any BRMs this season - and therefore are unable to pre-register, you are unlikely to get a place.
b) the available places are unlikely to sell out on the first two pre-registration slots, they think that 400km ought to be sufficient - but no guarantees.   

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »
Does a 400km Arrow (which is ACP validated) count?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:16:39 pm »
Does a 400km Arrow (which is ACP validated) count?

No. (The fact they show in the AUK calendar as BRM events is slightly misleading - ACP views them as a separate category. They don't count for an ACP SR either.)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »
ah bugger, well best I've got is a 300 then, but I am sure that will be good enough (I am less fussed about PBP than I was about LEL which turned into a must ride!)
Regards,

Joergen

Bairn Again

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:03:49 pm »
ah bugger, well best I've got is a 300 then, but I am sure that will be good enough (I am less fussed about PBP than I was about LEL which turned into a must ride!)
I was exactly this position in 2015 - I didn't realise until early that year that my 2014 York Arrow 400 didn't count and I had to rely on a 300. 

I got a place at PBP without any problem at all, and I got my first choice start time (though I did want to go of at the back of the 90 hr group which for some reasons isn't popular).   

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »
I was exactly this position in 2015 - I didn't realise until early that year that my 2014 York Arrow 400 didn't count and I had to rely on a 300. 

I got a place at PBP without any problem at all, and I got my first choice start time (though I did want to go of at the back of the 90 hr group which for some reasons isn't popular).

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:46:49 pm »
though I did want to go of at the back of the 90 hr group which for some reasons isn't popular).

Why do you think that is? Does the food run out like it did on LEL, or do you end up catching the bulge for a significant part of the ride?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:52:50 am »
Depends on your expectations.

My one PBP (2011) was right at the back of the 90h group and I had a blast (finishing with just 2h to spare). I was never without food, got a bed when I needed one and didn't know any better. If the food at a control was shit I just stopped at a boulangerie/cafe in a nearby town/village and got something to eat (and my French is terrible). I can't remember any controls that ran out of food, there was always something.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bairn Again

« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:28:35 am »
Depends on your expectations.

My one PBP (2011) was right at the back of the 90h group and I had a blast (finishing with just 2h to spare). I was never without food, got a bed when I needed one and didn't know any better. If the food at a control was shit I just stopped at a boulangerie/cafe in a nearby town/village and got something to eat (and my French is terrible). I can't remember any controls that ran out of food, there was always something.
that was my 2015 experience exactly.  Id do the same again, it provides for a civilized afternoon finish on the final day to finish and I had the morale boosting experience of overtaking loads of people!

Bairn Again

« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:34:59 am »
though I did want to go of at the back of the 90 hr group which for some reasons isn't popular).

Why do you think that is? Does the food run out like it did on LEL, or do you end up catching the bulge for a significant part of the ride?

- I think most folk avoid the back of the 90 hr group through irrational fear of missing out / being left behind - and in this scenario groupthink tends to trump independent thought   
- Food didn't run out at all no and it was all excellent.   
- Ive never ridden LEL but from what Ive heard its at least as well run as PBP  :thumbsup: and we should be proud of it
- Not only did I catch the bulge, I overtook it.  Or maybe I didn't catch it up at all, its hard to tell.  Either way I had a blast.       

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:33:42 pm »
People seem to like queueing in the afternoon August  sun before the start. I was happier to sit in the shade and watch the earlier starters, stay cool and generally conserve energy.

each to their own!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »
People seem to like queueing in the afternoon August  sun before the start. I was happier to sit in the shade and watch the earlier starters, stay cool and generally conserve energy.

And with the new system you don't even need to do that.   I'll turn up a lot closer to my start time next time round.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:05:22 pm »
What's the spread of start times for the 90hr bunch? I can see from the info on the auk website that it starts at 6pm. What's the latest start time?

And is the time limit based on your actual start time or is it based on a start time of 6pm for all 90hr riders?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=reglement

5.30pm to 8pm in 2015, may be slightly different, won't know until the equivalent info comes out for 2019.

You time limit is based on your start time. If you start at 7.30pm you get 90h from 7.30pm.

rob

« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
What's the spread of start times for the 90hr bunch? I can see from the info on the auk website that it starts at 6pm. What's the latest start time?

And is the time limit based on your actual start time or is it based on a start time of 6pm for all 90hr riders?

There were quite a few groups last time, spread over about 2 hrs.   I think I was in the 2nd or 3rd Touristes group and left at 6:15 (I think the first group went before 6 last time - 5:30 ?).

Your time is based on when your ankle mounted timing chip crossed the matt on the start line and the finish line so they don't even assume that you start along with the rest of your group.   I thought I had narrowly missed my target last time but was 4mins inside as it took that long to get over the line at the start.

« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:22:44 pm »
All the data is here. http://shprung.com/pbp/

I'd explain it, but you have to do some work for yourself.

http://shprung.com/pbp/

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »
Your brevet card will not be printed based on your start time. It will be printed on the basis of the start time of the first group.  Do not correct the closing times in your brevet card based on your own start. It will cause an enquiry and who haw in more than one control.

Bit off topic from pre quals mind.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:39:37 pm »
Thanks for info, all.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »
The times in the Brevet Card aren't linear either. ACP front loads the first 400 and 600 and then relaxes things on the way back.

Put another way, you don't get 45h to get to Brest, but you'll always get the full 90h to get back to Paris. If I can be bothered I'll dig out my PBP Brevet Card and have a look at the distances/times.

Ben T

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:28:53 pm »
I presume brevets ridden in September count as pre qualifiers? Cant quite remember when the new year starts.