Author Topic: Unlocking mobile phone to use another network  (Read 1611 times)

Unlocking mobile phone to use another network
« on: 19 March, 2020, 12:23:49 am »
Has anyone unlocked a phone which is locked to Tesco, so that a SIM from another network works in the phone?

What format is the code in? I used a 5 digit number and it didn't work, phone is now "permanently" locked to Tesco but now I've read that it's a 8 digit number.

Re: Unlocking mobile phone to use another network
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:06:55 am »
I have but it was a few years ago. Just did a vodafone one and you get the code from then online.

That would be the starting point:

https://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/manage-your-account/unlock-your-tesco-mobile-phone

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:38:54 am »
That is the source of the code i used.  Maybe the person who got it, the original owner of the phone, copied it wrong to me.

rr

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »
I did this last week using the instructions on the Tesco mobile website, it was surprisingly quick and painless.
The unlock code was an eight digit number.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:22:39 pm »
I requested a Tesco unlock code in Australia in October so I could put a local PAYG SIM in. The code arrived within 24 hours or so.

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2020, 09:10:36 pm »
I did this last week using the instructions on the Tesco mobile website, it was surprisingly quick and painless.
The unlock code was an eight digit number.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

It was surprisingly quick to get the code, about 1 day.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:29:34 pm »
That is the source of the code i used.  Maybe the person who got it, the original owner of the phone, copied it wrong to me.

That is the more likly.  Still stuck?

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:24:29 pm »
I did a reset twice and both times when restarting, the first thing that comes up is a message saying the sim slot has been permanently locked, before "choose your language".

It stills works with a Tesco sim. I gather it can only be unlocked by a factory or Tesco technician, ie someone with the "secret" codes.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:32:58 am »
Sorry if it seems I am talking down to you, I am not.  Just trying to work out what can be done.  What phone is it, as the unlock code available on the net for free.

Tried contacting tesco mobile directly?  Will they unlock for free or charge.  If they charge, how much is it.  Look on ebay as there are a few people selling codes that work.

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:48:37 am »
Thanks, but I'm not too bothered it's locked as it's a cheap (but good) secondhand phone bought as a backup.

I didn't intend to use it for phone calls, only as a mini computer. It would have been nice to be able to use a non-Tesco sim for internet access when there's no wifi.

There's no option to put in a code. I would think unlocking would involve connecting the phone to a computer and using the manufacturer's software, or pressing a combination of the on/off and volume buttons to get inside the operating system.

It's a Motorola Moto E3.

I might return it to the seller if I don't lose out in postage and/or time wasted. I've already spent too much time and effort over it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:53:06 am »
Ah suspect at a guess send it back. Pop on the HDUK to see what new cheapies are around of similar spec.

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:55:50 pm »
There are loads of people who will sell you an unlock code. Here is the first one in the list found with the help of Google https://unlocks.co.uk/motorola/moto-e3

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:16:09 pm »
There are loads of people who will sell you an unlock code. Here is the first one in the list found with the help of Google https://unlocks.co.uk/motorola/moto-e3

Beware of these companies. I wanted to unlock a phone and a bit of digging revealed that loads are scams. They advertise £10 unlocking then once you pay say its more complicated than they thought or that was just a registration fee and want another £70 to do the unlocking which some do and some never fulfil. Some are probably OK. Do some research on the company first.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:49:57 pm »
All Tesco phones will happily take an O2 sim as they are the actual mobile phone company (Well all mine (6?) to date have taken O2).