Author Topic: Mille Cymru take 2 : what's your plans?  (Read 8641 times)

Re: Mille Cymru take 2 : what's your plans?
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:42:22 am »
My body will not be laid to rest until the dragon is slain - so count me in (diary permitting) if there is a group perm for this ride

Tony

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »
Have you all missed the obvious. While an official perm is great and takes much of the google maps pain out of planning there are now gps perms that are fantastic and all you need is to pass through the places and for your gps batteries to work.

No, not missed:

I've been scratching my head to see how we could GPS-DIY it (so as to get the AAA points too  ;D) but the battery logistics seem just too hairy.

To expand on my thinking, it's not just batteries. Imagine the heartache 800km into your ride you're going really well and then the GPS just packs up / gets bashed / you drop it etc etc. So you need to take a spare.
Or in a moment of dooziness you simply forget to replace power / press the infernal "Start" button to get it recording, and then only realize 75km down the road...
And there's two of us, so presumably we'd both need to be faffing over our own receivers.  :hand:
For a shorter ride I'm keen to try it sometime, but I'd want a lot more experience under the belt before [re]attempting an über-brevet relying on it.

My point was that riding the course does not require registration of the perm. I have always been content to know where I have ridden and what I have done. So the registration of rides is never very high on my agenda. I take the point that GPSing it does carry risks, but if I had ridden the course and not had it validated this would mean about the same to me as having it validated.

If there is a group perm ride for this I will consider it. I have holiday left and after my LEJOG I am looking for one last bike adventure this year.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #27 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:32:07 pm »
true, ignoring validation we could go ride it any time. That's not going to get me my medal though, or added to the official finishers list. So maybe I'd still feel funny about wearing my jersey, who knows.
Me, I'm definitely looking to complete it with validation.

Plans are afoot to rearrange next year's schedule. So we're now provisionally in for a June or July '11 perm  :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:40:28 pm »
Doing it by unsupported perm will make you uber-hard and the 53 of us will have to be your bitches

« Reply #29 on: 10 August, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »
Now there's a plan... :demon:

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 10 August, 2010, 09:35:42 pm »
Looks like I'll be having to bring forwards my plan to ride the Maniac 1000.

« Reply #31 on: 10 August, 2010, 09:40:15 pm »
... but Simon! You'd make a wonderful bitch!

JohnHamilton

« Reply #32 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:12:15 pm »
Doing it by unsupported perm will make you uber-hard and the 53 of us will have to be your bitches

Nah. Doing it solo in December a la iddu will make you uber-hard.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #33 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »
true, ignoring validation we could go ride it any time. That's not going to get me my medal though, or added to the official finishers list. So maybe I'd still feel funny about wearing my jersey, who knows.
Me, I'm definitely looking to complete it with validation.

Plans are afoot to rearrange next year's schedule. So we're now provisionally in for a June or July '11 perm  :thumbsup:

Yes, but people who know you rode it unsupported as a perm would know what you have achieved and eye your jersey with envy.  8)
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

iakobski

« Reply #34 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:24:33 pm »
I'm absolutely going to retry this - totally gutted by what hapenned. And no-one wanted a spare jersey so I'm going to have to.  ;)

I *think* I'd like to do it at the same w/e as others, but I'm not sure about trying to stay in a group, I know I'm slower than some who have expressed interest, and I'll be on fixed again too. I may even just go and ride the route without the official points if it can't be permified.

border-rider

« Reply #35 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:30:03 pm »
I'd like to have a go on fixed too.  Maybe just 2 of us at the back then :)

iakobski

« Reply #36 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »
My prep for the MC1K left me fitter than I've been in my life, but I still don't think I could keep up with you  ;D

« Reply #37 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:38:55 pm »
Would having simonp as your personal bitch help you at all?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #38 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
I may even just go and ride the route without the official points if it can't be permified.

Why is there this preoccupation with the perm' status?  Shirley you would just DIY it (if you wanted credit from AUK).

« Reply #39 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:43:00 pm »
AAA points? Or getting your name on what at present is a fairly short list of anciens

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:43:20 pm »
I may even just go and ride the route without the official points if it can't be permified.

Why is there this preoccupation with the perm' status?  Shirley you would just DIY it (if you wanted credit from AUK).

The medal is very nice.

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »
Would having simonp as your personal bitch help you at all?

For that to work, I'd have to be ahead of him to be able to tow him up the hills with my leash.

border-rider

« Reply #42 on: 12 August, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »
My prep for the MC1K left me fitter than I've been in my life, but I still don't think I could keep up with you  ;D

I suspect that on fixed we'd both be strolling together on that ride :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #43 on: 12 August, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »
I obtained a route sheet from U.N. Dulates so that,(having helped at the control in Llanyrtedd(sp) & Upton Magna) I can ride it at my leisure.
I realise that this will bring no "official" recognition but the personal satisfaction achieved by doing it will be sufficient kudos for me :)

« Reply #44 on: 12 August, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
I can ride it at my leisure.

Hur hur hur

<sniggers behind hand>

;) :demon:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #45 on: 12 August, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »
I did use the term loosley ;D

« Reply #46 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »
By the way, if you see this  you will probably be at the end of the second day, somewhat tired, but also likely to finish.

You'll know what I mean  ;)

simonp

« Reply #47 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »
I never saw that.  It was dark and foggy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:32:23 pm »
Crikey! I saw the lights from lower down the climb, but it was too foggy to see anything at the top.

If you get there in daylight, you are indeed ahead of the game.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #49 on: 12 August, 2010, 05:35:21 pm »
Crikey! I saw the lights from lower down the climb, but it was too foggy to see anything at the top.

If you get there in daylight, you are indeed ahead of the game.

Doing it My Way I will certainly be there in daylight:day 5 daylight I imagine ::-)