Author Topic: White ENO Eccentric Hub  (Read 18156 times)

White ENO Eccentric Hub
« on: 08 February, 2012, 08:13:33 pm »
Thinking of fixing my carbon Trek frame. Has vertical drop outs so this hub seems like a practical solution.

Anybody used one and has an opinion

Anybody got one they'd consider selling? 130 oln

Chris N

Re: White ENO Eccentric Hub
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »
Never used one, got an opinion.  :thumbsup:

Proprietary splined cog interface on the newer hubs looks like a bad idea. Try a magic gear instead.

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:34:55 pm »
Yes, with you on that except that finding a magic gear could be as expensive as paying £35 for the White cog, unless you are sceptical from an engineering point of view?

The ENO hub is surely a more workable option, no? Don't really care about the expense if it works well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »
Didn't work for me.  The eccentric rotated under heavy torque, slackening the chain.  I finished a Dun Run on it but the chain looked as if it belonged on one of the boutique fixies from FGG by the time I got to the beach.  This was despite roughening and degreasing the ends of the "axle" and mullering the bolts down as hard as possible.

Then I sold the frame and bought something with track ends.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:39:50 pm »
I've got a White Industries freewheel and it's beautifully engineered. Was talking to the mechanic at my LBS who was praising the WI eccentric hub that one of the other mechanics had. 

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »
If you've got a tape measure and a stack of cogs and rings to play with then finding a magic gear is no problem. Mechanically, I've got no problem with the splined interface, but I'd prefer all the parts on my fixed gears to be interchangeable.

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »
I don't mind having a different bike for each gear ratio I plan to use  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:49:51 pm »
Didn't work for me.  The eccentric rotated under heavy.

FTFY

:demon:

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:00:59 pm »
Ah...riding after six pints of 80/- ale gets it every time.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »
If this thread passes him by, it could be worth PM-ing Mike because I'm fairly sure he's got one of these hubs.

(I take it you couldn't shift the Trek frame in the end?)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
What's the deal with chain wear and magic gears? Good or bad?  (this came up on Cyclechat the other day too)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »

(I take it you couldn't shift the Trek frame in the end?)

The only effort I made was one post here, and really, I think it might be worth more to me than what somebody else would reasonably be prepared to pay for it.

« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »
Got one on my work/hack bike.
On the whole i like it, but have also had issues with it rotating under load. I'd intended to turn up some different axle ends for it, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so it vacant be that much of an issue.
Mines the original type with std threaded sprocket thread & lock ring.
I think it's a good solution. I had a bike that I liked, wanted a fixed. Seemed like a good solution and a saved an old bike from the scrap pile.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »
What's the deal with chain wear and magic gears? Good or bad?  (this came up on Cyclechat the other day too)
With proper horizontal dropouts, my fixie chains get unacceptably slack (i.e. visible droop and noticeable lash in the transmission) within a month of winter commutes.  With decent lube and clean, dry road conditions chain wear is negligible, so a magic gear is more likely to be successful on a good weather bike.  Some people file the dropouts a bit to give a tiny bit of adjustment.

If you run a full-bushing chain and your chainline is spot on, the risk of throwing a chain is minimised and you might be willing to tolerate a slacker chain for the convenience of a magic gear.  You get lash at the pedals well before the chain is actually too slack to come off.  You can test whether it's dangerous by trying to push the chain off the sprocket with a suitable stick or screwdriver (don't use your fingers!!!) while slowly turning the pedals.

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »
If this thread passes him by, it could be worth PM-ing Mike because I'm fairly sure he's got one of these hubs.

Indeed.  I fixed a cheap chinese Ti frame last year so I could try TTing on fixed, it was awesome.  Needed tweaking every half dozen or so rides but it only takes a couple of seconds.  I used to take a long allen key in the repair kit just in case (I broke a couple of cheap multitools trying to tighten it en route).  Mines got the standard threaded hub & lockring too.  I've just changed the bike back to geared but dont want to sell the wheel but you could borrow it, if you like?

It didnt seem to slip on short high torque sprints or hills, more just a time & distance thing.  this was on a Ti dropout, dont know if it'd be different on another material.

well worth the experiment, IMHO, just to feel how light a road bike can be without the dangly bits!

« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

I've just changed the bike back to geared but dont want to sell the wheel but you could borrow it, if you like?

That's a kind offer, thankyou.

I'm going to hold fire for a few months anyway as this will be a summer thing. There was one on eBay but it got delisted today.

« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:03:04 pm »
I ran one of the older model ENOs for a while - no problems. But then I'm light and gentle.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
I ran one of the older model ENOs for a while - no problems. But then I'm light and gentle.

heh, I'm neither  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »

If you've got a calculator, a stack of sprockets and chain rings it's often possible to find a workable magic gear. Feels great when you finally hit on a workable combination.

Until 250 miles later, when it all goes slack and you can either replace the chain, or go through the whole cycle again....

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »
Have several frames using same - no issues.

Didn't work for me.  The eccentric rotated under heavy torque, slackening the chain.

Always have hub centre on arc line below the horizontal through fixing centre(*);  forward drive will want to rotate it clockwise then, increasing tension as hub centre moves further from BB...

(*) i.e. usually somewhere between 6 - 9
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

If you've got a calculator, a stack of sprockets and chain rings it's often possible to find a workable magic gear. Feels great when you finally hit on a workable combination.

Until 250 miles later, when it all goes slack and you can either replace the chain, or go through the whole cycle again....

I ran a magic gear on my Airborne for several years with no such troubles.  The secret seemed to be to use a chain and sprocket that already had a few hundred miles on them so that the initial settling-in was done before they were fitted. After that there was enough leeway in the dropout to cope with chain wear.

It was a mainly fair-weather bike though, though I did a couple of 400km audaxs on it when it rained quite a bit.

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2012, 11:41:25 am »
If you haven't already done so, take a look at eBay in the States, as ENOs appear to come up more regularly there. I passed up the offer of buying one from there around half price, a few years ago.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2012, 12:28:42 pm »
Have several frames using same - no issues.

Didn't work for me.  The eccentric rotated under heavy torque, slackening the chain.

Always have hub centre on arc line below the horizontal through fixing centre(*);  forward drive will want to rotate it clockwise then, increasing tension as hub centre moves further from BB...

(*) i.e. usually somewhere between 6 - 9
I tried that too.

« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »
Want to sell yours Roger?

rogerzilla

« Reply #24 on: 11 February, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »
I sold it a couple of years ago when I bought the Inbred frame.