Author Topic: Is this dynamo light any good?  (Read 3221 times)

Is this dynamo light any good?
« on: 25 October, 2020, 08:37:01 am »
Ideally googling for a front light for the wife's bike as she wants a dynamo light. Will be used for around town so not epic night rides and found the below. Is it any good and what are the little leads coming off with a spade terminal?

https://m.bikester.co.uk/busch-mueller-lumotec-myc-n-led-dynamo-headlight-1079696.html?_cid=21_1_-1_%7Bifpla:9%7D%7Bifpe:8%7D_225_1079696_%7Bcreative%7D_%7Bifpla:pla%7D

Re: Is this dynamo light any good?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:42:18 am »
Little leads with spades are for connecting wires for a rear dynamo light. I have them on my cyo premium. I just covered the spades up with rip stop cello tape to stop them potentially shorting out. Should be fine for use on streets with street lights.

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:43:20 am »
This light is intended for use with  a hub dynamo, since it has an on/off switch.  The two short leads are to connect a rear light.  Specs say 50 Lux which is perfectly fine for urban use.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:37:24 am »
I agree with others here, perfect for urban cycling. Get a rear light and connector kit to give your wife charging free lights for ever! I have dynamo lights (one is a v cheap Lyt) on my bikes, one around 8 years old and still working as it did the day (and night) I installed it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:21:38 am »
Perfect thanks. I've got a rear light in the shed already though may need to modify it so fits on seat post as designed for seat stay

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2020, 03:41:27 pm »
Just last week I got my wife  50 lux B and M front light, she commutes in the city and it is excellent. More than enough light for those conditions and it's a lot more visible than the previous battery light. I'd recommend.

I've got a 70 lux light on mine (Supernova E3 pure), it's a bit brighter but overkill for an urban environment.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2020, 03:45:43 pm »
This light is intended for use with  a hub dynamo, since it has an on/off switch.

But can be used with any dynamo, of course.

If the OP's wife has a sidewall dynamo, a non-switched version might be slightly cheaper, I suppose.

That model has an integrated reflector and standlight, which are two features I would consider useful in a dynamo light for riding in urban environments.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:12:13 pm »
I found this MYC beamshot online;

50lux is more than enough for urban use (the side markers and reflector are at least as important as the power per se) and I've ridden a long way on the open road with lights far less powerful than this.

cheers

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:55:51 am »
If it is urban lit roads then it is all about being seen, rather tgan seeing, I guess.

Out in the sticks the faster you ride, the more light throw you need.

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2020, 09:38:08 am »
The good lady doesn't currently have a dynamo but will be getting a hub one for Christmas cos I'm that much of a romantic

She doesn't go fast enough to need anything too bright

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:12:24 am »
The good lady doesn't currently have a dynamo but will be getting a hub one for Christmas cos I'm that much of a romantic

There is no such thing as not needing anything too bright. You always end up riding through a park, or up a street where the lights are out and that is always where the dog poo or potholes are. Also, if you are bright enough, the oncoming drivers treat you as a proper vehicle, particularly helpful in road calming chicanes. I have CYOs on every bike.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:38:06 am »

There is no such thing as not needing anything too bright. You always end up riding through a park, or up a street where the lights are out and that is always where the dog poo or potholes are. Also, if you are bright enough, the oncoming drivers treat you as a proper vehicle, particularly helpful in road calming chicanes. I have CYOs on every bike.

Please god no. Of course there is. Your examples don't need more light, they need a better angle.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2020, 11:30:47 am »
The good thing about the B&M lights is they're designed for Germans, so have well-shaped beams to make sure the light goes where it is needed, and not where it isn't.

« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2020, 11:46:38 am »
The good thing about the B&M lights is they're designed for Germans, so have well-shaped beams to make sure the light goes where it is needed, and not where it isn't.
But are still dependant on being set correctly.  I believe that is "the centre of the beam is at half height at a distance of 5 metres".  The photograph of a beam a couple of posts above is, I think, probably not set according to STVZO.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2020, 11:59:34 am »

Please god no. Of course there is. Your examples don't need more light, they need a better angle.
The Cyo certainly isn't massively bright by current standards. And it's a lot more likely to be correctly angled than a bar-mounted all-round photon cannon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »
Way back in the Before Times of late 2019, I found myself dodging dogpoos (and indeed dogs) in the afore-mentioned park by the light of my veritable Cyo R (which is absolutely fine for the street-lit urban riding it usually gets used for).  I was surprised at how dim it seemed compared to the newer lights on bikes I tend to do Night Rides on.  Could still see where I was going, thobut.

As for obnoxious photon cannons, I'd be prepared to compromise on "you can have it as bright as you like, just for the love of all that is holy set it to static".  It's not like modern car headlights aren't as blinding when the gradient (or your low recumbent) means you get an eyeful, but at least they aren't strobe-o-vision.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2020, 05:20:56 pm »
Way back in the Before Times of late 2019, I found myself dodging dogpoos (and indeed dogs) in the afore-mentioned park by the light of my veritable Cyo R (which is absolutely fine for the street-lit urban riding it usually gets used for).  I was surprised at how dim it seemed compared to the newer lights on bikes I tend to do Night Rides on.  Could still see where I was going, thobut.

I have a Cyo R on my commute bike. It's noticeably less bright than the IQ-X on the audax bike, unsurprisingly, but I find it plenty bright enough for the dark laney section of the route between home and station.

« Reply #17 on: 05 November, 2021, 08:17:11 pm »
Think it was our of stock and then lock down but didn't get the wife a dynamo wheel till spring this year so the lights getting its first night time use. She left her bike at work today, thankfully its the end of our road and only cycles as takes kids to school first

I went and picked her bike up and was really impressed with the little light. Do need to adjust it down as set too high but more then enough light for a brief ride down an unlit cycle path

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 05 November, 2021, 08:47:33 pm »
I put one of those Myc lights on a mate's Brompton with a Shimano dynamo wheel and a B&M S Plus Flat.  Twice the lux of the Brompton kit and a rear light that isn't obscured by the mudguard and brake.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.