Author Topic: Darwin Awards  (Read 43661 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Darwin Awards
« Reply #150 on: 24 February, 2020, 11:43:36 am »
I haven't yet seen a post stating that Mr Hughes will be mourned all around the globe yet, or at least not one from a genuine Flat-earther, but it's only a matter of time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #151 on: 24 February, 2020, 12:21:05 pm »
One (among the many) problems with the flat earthers is where they think the money is. I mean if you're drunk enough you might imagine that big pharma, big oil or big tobacco might have an interest in suppressing knowledge/inventions that would interfere with profits. Big map will sell just as many maps of a flat earth as they do of a round one. No need to spend billions convincing the plebs that the earth is a different shape.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #152 on: 24 February, 2020, 12:33:47 pm »
It's not Big Map, it's Big Rocket.  Why should people keep paying for massive rockets when all you actually need is a ladder?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #153 on: 24 February, 2020, 03:50:49 pm »
It's not Big Map, it's Big Rocket.  Why should people keep paying for massive rockets when all you actually need is a ladder?
According to most of them you don’t need either because there’s no where to go. Even the saner of them that accept the sun and moon are separate objects still believe the flat earth has a dome over it. Indeed, the containment of the atmosphere is one of their favourite proofs that the earth is not a spinning globe.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #154 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »
What's that big thing coming towards me very fast ?/  It's big and round and ... it needs a name ...

(From memory.)
I wonder if it will be friends with me?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #155 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:34:07 pm »
I haven't yet seen a post stating that Mr Hughes will be mourned all around the globe yet, or at least not one from a genuine Flat-earther, but it's only a matter of time.
"tributes are coming in from the 4 Corners of ... "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #156 on: 29 February, 2020, 10:33:32 am »
He left two children - so definately not a darwin.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #157 on: 29 February, 2020, 02:30:41 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #158 on: 29 February, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51680049

::-)
Pathetic and tragic. :(

(and I don't mean because it won't qualify as a "Proper" Darwin, just to save those posts wearing out poor keyboards.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #159 on: 25 March, 2020, 02:05:44 pm »
At 64 I suspect that he isn’t eligible for a Darwin Award ...

I didn't realise that there are qualifications or conditions other than death through heroic (or naive) misadventure. Do tell.

It's an award for people removing their stupidity genes from the pool. At 64 he's past breeding age.

The international concert pianist and chess grandmaster Mark Taimanov sired twins at the age of 78.

Mr. Taimanov was married four times, the last time in his late 70s. He was 78 when he and his fourth wife, Nadezhda, had twins, a boy and a girl. The twins were 57 years younger than his first child and 27 years younger than his granddaughter, although they were her aunt and uncle.
From NYT
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

sam

« Reply #160 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:44:59 am »
What is the difference between a Darwin award and karma?

I don’t know, but giving out too many of them might not help.

That said, events of late may get the printing presses humming.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #161 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:12:12 am »

I didn't realise that there are qualifications or conditions other than death through heroic (or naive) misadventure. Do tell.

It's an award for people removing their stupidity genes from the pool. At 64 he's past breeding age.

The international concert pianist and chess grandmaster Mark Taimanov sired twins at the age of 78.

Mr. Taimanov was married four times, the last time in his late 70s. He was 78 when he and his fourth wife, Nadezhda, had twins, a boy and a girl. The twins were 57 years younger than his first child and 27 years younger than his granddaughter, although they were her aunt and uncle.
From NYT

The "record" in modern times is held by an american, James E. Smith who fathered twin daughters in 1949 at the age of 101...

The oldest mother in modern times was a 74 years old Indian woman (IVF with donated eggs) in 2016. The oldest modern day natural conception was in a Chinese woman aged 65 in 2019.

« Reply #162 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:43:31 am »
If I have related this little fact here before, apologies.

My maternal grandfather's father apparently sired 13 children. Nothing too remarkable in that stat, given that this was obviously some time ago. The :o moment is that these 13 all appeared after he was 65. (I'm not sure it's recorded if/how many he had before that age.)

My grandfather was apparently the last of the 13, and my mother was the last of his five (with a 21 year spread). (And I'm the younger of the two siblings.)

Net result: my great-grandfather was born before the Battle of Waterloo.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #163 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:28:24 pm »

One of my pet peeves is that the children of the second marriage of my ancestor Francis Funge (1618-1701, Waddesdon, Bucks) are wrongly attributed by many people to his son, also Francis Funge (1648-1717).

Francis the elder's first wife died in 1677. 14 months later, not long before his 60th birthday, Francis married Jane Carter, age not recorded & birth not yet found. They had at least two children, because two daughters are mentioned in his will who can't possibly be from his first marriage: Ann (my ancestor, married 1698 the same day as she was christened, aged 19, with both parents named, & her father called "Francis Snr"), & Mary "my youngest daughter).

Ann keeps getting listed in family trees online as a daughter of Francis the younger, apparently because the idea of a 60 year old 17th century manual worker fathering children is thought too improbable to give credence to, whatever the evidence.

Just one more, less extreme, example to add to the others given here.

PS. I've identified two of my ancestors who had 16 pregnancies: one had 19 children.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #165 on: 27 April, 2020, 09:55:07 pm »
I wonder if men undergoing this "treatment" for CoVid amelioration qualify for a Darwin award? Certainly excess oestrogen in males will impair fertility somewhat... It would be temporary (?unfortunately?) so I guess not.  ;D

« Reply #166 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:14:54 pm »
I wonder if men undergoing this "treatment" for CoVid amelioration qualify for a Darwin award? Certainly excess oestrogen in males will impair fertility somewhat... It would be temporary (?unfortunately?) so I guess not.  ;D

From reading the NYT report that the Fail cribbed from (seriously, couldn't you have found a half-decent news outlet to link to?), it's pretty obvious that no, this doesn't count as a Darwin because the volunteers - both male and post-menopausal women - are only receiving short courses of hormone treatment that are unlikely to have a permanent effect.

... Half of the participants will be given an estradiol patch for one week, while the other half will serve as a control group, and researchers will follow them to see whether estrogen reduces the severity of their disease.
The Cedars-Sinai study is smaller, with only 40 subjects, all men, half of whom will be a control group. Only hospital inpatients with mild to moderate disease who have tested positive for Covid-19 can participate. (Patients with certain conditions, like a history of blood clots, are excluded for safety reasons.)

The patients will get two shots of progesterone a day for five days.

They will be monitored to see if their status is improving, how their needs for oxygen change and whether they go on to require intensive care or mechanical ventilation; their progress will be compared to patients in the control group.

The researchers in Los Angeles are pinning their hopes on progesterone rather than estrogen because research has shown that the hormone reduces pro-inflammatory immune cells, and supports those that fight inflammation, Dr. Ghandehari said. The hypothesis is that progesterone will prevent or dampen a harmful overreaction of the immune system, called a cytokine storm, and will reduce the likelihood of acute respiratory distress syndrome.

Both hormones are believed to be safe, especially when used for short durations. Participants will be warned of possible side effects that may be a first for many men, like tenderness in the breast and hot flashes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/health/coronavirus-estrogen-men.html/?2020-04-27T06%3A59%3A07%2000%3A00

In any case, it is doubtful that it's hormonal balance that's much of a factor, because it's been noted that post-menopausal women are more likely to survive a bout of CV-19 than men of similar ages.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #167 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:25:24 pm »
A man who self identifies as a deer and dresses up as one is shot by hunters who mistook him for a deer:

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2107406337575/trans-species-man-who-self-identifies-as-a-deer-accidentally-shot-by-hunters

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #168 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:11:23 am »
Oh dear!

IGMC...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #169 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:46:05 am »
You have to wonder about Messrs. Perkins' and Pinecut's states of mind too, specifically whether they are simpletons, or had been drinking, or both.  And also whether their trophy rooms contain the heads of hunters, game wardens and/or cows.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Davef

« Reply #170 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:51:40 am »
Hmmm, seems a bit spoofy. ““When he was eight he believed he was a porcupine, then at 12 a squirrel, now he’s a deer. It could be worse, he could be a homosexual,” his mother argued when reached by phone.”

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #171 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:51:53 am »
Imagine that!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #172 on: 24 November, 2020, 11:38:16 am »
You have to wonder about Messrs. Perkins' and Pinecut's states of mind too, specifically whether they are simpletons, or had been drinking, or both.  And also whether their trophy rooms contain the heads of hunters, game wardens and/or cows.

ISWYDT - a pure-bred Guernsey cow, I presume? ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #173 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:43:53 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-blows-roof-mums-house-19810732

Almost, but not quite.   Lots of comments, some cruel but amusing. 

And why would a chap with multiple unspecified convictions be trying to get the splodey stuff out of fireworks ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #174 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:48:07 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-blows-roof-mums-house-19810732

Almost, but not quite.   Lots of comments, some cruel but amusing. 

And why would a chap with multiple unspecified convictions be trying to get the splodey stuff out of fireworks ?

I've taken the splodey stuff out of fireworks, but I'm not stupid enough to try and grind it. I just set fire to it
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens