Author Topic: Patching wellies  (Read 3096 times)

ian

Re: Patching wellies
« Reply #25 on: 21 December, 2020, 12:26:42 pm »
We got fed up of coming back with soaked boots and feet that were essentially clods of muddy earth. Which was every walk. As we hike and walk a lot, more so in the times of COVID, there sometimes isn't even time to dry them out after scraping off all the mud. I have two good pairs but basically it means a kitchen filled with the airs of mouldering boots. In places at the moment, there's unavoidable mud up to mid-calf height. Entire fields of it. And the sort of puddles you might be advised to boat across.
Oh dear. This is almost as if you're confessing to not owning an Aga. Where's your Surrey-ness, ian?

But we don't have an Aga. Or a Range Rover. But we have put some semi-serious discussion to moving further out in the wilds. Which will mean his-and-hers Range Rovers and a tiny horse.

Tiny horses seem to be everywhere. They're too small to ride, so I'm not sure what they're for. Or perhaps they're full-size horses that have just sunk in the mud.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 21 December, 2020, 12:34:06 pm »
Perhaps the tiny horses are the first rung on the ladder to horseyness, like a small SUV is the first step to Range-Rover ownership? Either that or they're actually large dogs and you need to put your glasses on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 21 December, 2020, 01:20:12 pm »
They could be starter horses I suppose. In general, there seem to be far more horses in Surrey than could ever be ridden.

« Reply #28 on: 21 December, 2020, 01:35:18 pm »
I did see someone exercising a small horse recently using one of those running harnesses you can get for dogs. Probably fun until the horse decides with four legs, however small, it can go faster than you.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 21 December, 2020, 02:18:50 pm »
They could be starter horses I suppose. In general, there seem to be far more horses in Surrey than could ever be ridden.
You are living in a giant petting zoo!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #30 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:40:36 pm »
The tiny horses are to scale fit with your teacup pigs.
Where are all the donkeys though?

Meanwhile, my parents thought wellies were the thing for walking and scoffed at walking boots.  No idea where this came from. 
otoh I'm pretty sure my dad used to do a lot of hiking, before he got married.  History doesn't relate whether this was in wellies.  Alternatively wellies may merely have been a ploy to avoid buying hiking boots for the 4 of us on an annual basis.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 21 December, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »
Teacup pigs? Are they a Thing? And if so, cruelty to teacups, I say.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 21 December, 2020, 08:06:31 pm »
This Unit recommends http://tinyhorsey.co.uk/ for all your micro-equine needs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #33 on: 22 December, 2020, 09:21:57 am »
Where are all the donkeys though?

Meanwhile, my parents thought wellies were the thing for walking and scoffed at walking boots.  No idea where this came from. 
otoh I'm pretty sure my dad used to do a lot of hiking, before he got married.  History doesn't relate whether this was in wellies.  Alternatively wellies may merely have been a ploy to avoid buying hiking boots for the 4 of us on an annual basis.

We did see two donkeys at the weekend (in Surrey, I assume someone bought the wrong type of horse). Definitely a lot of horses of which I think we saw only four being hidden. The only other use of horses that I know of is cheap lasagne. The main activity, as far as I can establish, is for women to spend their Saturday afternoons leading them around yards and dragging around bales of hay. I possibly don't understand, it may become clearer when I get the Range Rover.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #34 on: 22 December, 2020, 10:00:11 am »
Definitely a lot of horses of which I think we saw only four being hidden.
What were they being hidden from? Horse rustlers?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #35 on: 22 December, 2020, 10:07:39 am »
Sometimes a typo makes it all the better. I like the idea of a countryside filled with secretive horse hiders.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #36 on: 23 December, 2020, 03:34:51 pm »
Meanwhile it appears my wellies have sprung a leak.  And possibly my gutters but that's another story.
As they cost approx £1 from cheapskates'r'us about 20 years ago (or even longer) I've probably had my money's worth.  Given cheapskates'r'us is still around (or it was last time I looked about a year ago) I may be hitting the sales.  but first I'll wait until I can scrape the mud off and do a visual inspection.

fwiw I did once patch the soles of one offspring's fave ever converses with that rubber sheet puncture repair stuff.  It stayed attached but iirc didn't last very well.  Or a birthday arrive, or something.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.