Author Topic: 60CSx or 705  (Read 6708 times)

DaveJ

• Happy days
60CSx or 705
« on: 27 October, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »
My wife has offered to buy me a GPS for my birthday!

The 705 is the obvious choice, cycling specific and all that, but......... I'd be using it for audax type rides, and most of the functions of the 705 seem to be more aimed at competitive cycling.  It doesn't look like the battery is replaceable mid ride, and the battery life is only 15 hours.

So.... would I be better off getting a 60CSx?

Dave

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: 60CSx or 705
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2008, 04:51:03 pm »
I've got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.  Love it.  Is brilliant for audax riding and any other sort.  You can get them very cheap from the US.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »
+1 to the eTrex Vista.  Cheap, bombproof and uses proper batteries.

I've got all of Europe onna SD card and it does full colour maps with on the fly routing to any postcode.  Bloody splendid bit of kit.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:03:18 pm »
Any of the eTrex range from the most basic non-mapping unit (eTrex H) or the 3 versions with maps (Legend, Vista and Venture devices). Price goes up as the units have more and more features.

With a mapping version you'll also need to buy some maps to put on it, which is something I know nothing about.

Make sure you get the "H" version which is for high-sensitivity, there's no point not doing so.

The "Cx" in the model name indicates a colour screen.

The eTrex range are perfect for Audaxing as they use two AA batteries which can be replaced mid-ride. With a pair of Lithium batteries you can get over 40 hours too.

The cycling specific ones (Edge) often have internal power packs that can only be charged via USB and have a battery life that is too short for 200km+ Audaxes. You can use an external battery powered USB charger thingy but these are a bit of a faff compared to two internal AA batteries of the eTrex series.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:03:33 pm »
Personally, I'd go for the 60 CSx.  

Or if I had a bit of extra cash to play with, the Garmin Oregon 400t or the Colorado 400t .  

I have the Colorado 300 and both it and the Colorado 400t can be used to measure cadence with the addition of a cadence monitor from Garmin, and can also pick up signals from heartrate monitors.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »

Make sure you get the "H" version which is for high-sensitivity, there's no point not.

In some of the models, Garmin also use "S" to denote the high-sensitivity receiver.  The 60CSx is the high sensitivity version of the 60Cx.

I don't know why they don't just have one naming convention...  ::-)

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:19:47 pm »
Make sure you get the "H" version which is for high-sensitivity, there's no point not.
In some of the models, Garmin also use "S" to denote the high-sensitivity receiver.  The 60CSx is the high sensitivity version of the 60Cx.
No it isn't. The S denotes the electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Which is also the difference between the Legend and Vista series.

If that is the case, then their naming protocol is not consistent, as they have models with the electronic compass and barometric altimeter that do not have the "S" prefix (e.g. the eTrex Vista) - and they have models with the high sensitivy receiver that don't have an "H" prefix (e.g. the GPSMap 76Cx).

As I said, they need one naming convention.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2008, 07:13:30 pm »
Get an etrex Legend or Vista - does everything for Audax and the bike fitment is better/safer than  the others (although I also have a short cord loop on mine that loops around the bars just in case it falls off the mount ... not happened yet)

I use mine with Memory Map - plot the route on the PC (with turns just before the junctions!) - transfer to the GPS - on the bike you just follow the arrow (it even bleeps as you approach a turn)  [Legend HCx]

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2008, 07:25:48 pm »
Etrex Vista HCx here.

After some initial problems with unwanted shut-downs, this problem seems to have been resolved (please Gods) with a change in battery brand and trial-and-error changes to how much "give" there is in the mounting set up. It's a reliable little device and battery life is just not an issue. The device itself is fairly simple to set up and operate. I did have a steep learning curve regarding the mapping / software / route planning / way-point side of things thoughbut. I am still at a point not close to the peak of this curve  :P

It's a great device and has made my cycling a lot more enjoyable.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2008, 07:49:45 pm »
+1 Vista HCx

Fabulous bit of kit, which has the added bonus (along with all of the eTrax range) of being useful in other outdoor pursuits as well, not just cycling. Doesn't have a modern looks and sleek profile of the Edge series, but as you have already aluded to, it is MUCH better for long distance riding (IMHO).

« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2008, 08:32:21 pm »
60CSx here

As far as I can make out the 60CSX/Vista HCx and the 60Cx/Legend HCx are pretty much equivalent pairs, and the differences are mostly down to size/weight/cost/layout. The 60CSx has some extra bells & whistles, but they aren't really relevant on a bike.
The 60CSx is bigger than the Etrex series (though not by an awful lot if you exclude the aerial), heavier, has a slightly shorter battery life, has a bigger screen, and has the buttons on the front where access is easier.

As has been said, the 605/705 are more training tools with added navigation, rather than an outright navigation tool. Also the battery life would probably limit you to 200k on the audax front.
They are also fairly new, and I get the impression that not all the bugs have been ironed out yet, so you'd want to keep an eye on the firmware downloads.

I was in the pub at lunchtime a few weeks ago showing a non-GPS person how the 60CSx worked. I was on familiar territory and had only been using it as a moving map, so I set up a route on it to navigate home, by way of a demo. A 705 owner who'd been earwigging piped up and said his 705 didn't allow the setting up of routes away from the PC. I don't know whether that's true or if he just didn't know how, but if it is it's a pretty big black mark IMO.

« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2008, 10:42:30 pm »
The 705 does do on-device routing.

A 705 owner who'd been earwigging piped up and said his 705 didn't allow the setting up of routes away from the PC. I don't know whether that's true or if he just didn't know how, but if it is it's a pretty big black mark IMO.

Maybe related to his choice of maps for the device?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »
The 60CSx is big. A bit too big for using on a bike IMO.

I would add -

The 60 series are optimal when used vertically (as though holding a walkie-talkie) whereas the Etrex series are optimal when used horizontally (as in, mounted on the handlebars).  Its just how the aerials are.

So, nice though the 60s are, for cyclists the Etrex are a no-brainer.  (Or a 605/705 if you're that way inclined.)
I imagine Oregon are 'the future' and will eventually replace the Etrex series (similar chipset and aerial), but you need to try before you buy because the screen is very dim.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

The Mechanic

« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2008, 09:41:13 am »
Another vote for the Etrex Vista HCX.
 Had it a year now with no problems.  And managed to not get lost on an audax since.  Brilliant.  I use mine with City Navigator and plan the route on the PC then tranxfer them to the unit.  Mine has a 1Gb card and I have the whole of the UK maps on it.  I also have Europe but haven't been over there this year.

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2008, 09:46:50 am »
As others have said; the 705 is basically the best bike computer ever made, but with maps added.

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »
The 705 does do on-device routing.

A 705 owner who'd been earwigging piped up and said his 705 didn't allow the setting up of routes away from the PC. I don't know whether that's true or if he just didn't know how, but if it is it's a pretty big black mark IMO.

Maybe related to his choice of maps for the device?
Can you create a multi-waypoint route on the 705 without going near a PC?
As in "my GPS is broke: you've got one so you can take over navigation - we're going to D via A, B and C"
The chap had City Navigator mapping, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe he just hadn't worked out how to drive his 705 yet.

« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »
Can you create a multi-waypoint route on the 705 without going near a PC?

Don't know. It does routing, as in to a single chosen destination) AFAIK but I am not sure about multiple way-points.

Some relevant comments here:

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=7982.0

TBH the only thing that appeals to me about the 705 as compared with the Vista is that it is more compact and looks better. In practical terms, for what I want, the Vista is the better tool

« Reply #17 on: 31 October, 2008, 04:03:23 pm »
60CSx here.  I really like it for the bike.  It's had no problems with powering-off as with some of the etrex ones.

I will say the only problem I've had is with the bracket.  Excessive road vibration when fastened to the handle bar has broken two of them (no trouble to the unit); but AndrewS has gotten me on the right track with mounting to a Minoura space bar.

The unit's a bit bigger than the Vista/Legend but has an easier to read larger screen and only 45-grams heavier.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #18 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »
My wife has just given me a Vista HCx.  That'll keep me quiet for quite a long time I think.  Whether I'll be able to navigate with it is another matter.....

Dave

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19 on: 04 December, 2008, 02:46:15 pm »
Just bought the 705. I already have a 305 (excellent - but no maps) and a Forerunner 201 (prehistoric, but it still works). As I intend to be using the computer in several different countries, the mapping ability will be paramount...

« Reply #20 on: 04 December, 2008, 02:47:21 pm »
I must say I really like the idea of the 60CSx.  Good all round practicality, not just on the bike.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

« Reply #21 on: 04 December, 2008, 04:11:44 pm »
The 60CSx is big. A bit too big for using on a bike IMO.

I would add -

The 60 series are optimal when used vertically (as though holding a walkie-talkie) whereas the Etrex series are optimal when used horizontally (as in, mounted on the handlebars).  Its just how the aerials are.

So, nice though the 60s are, for cyclists the Etrex are a no-brainer.  (Or a 605/705 if you're that way inclined.)
I imagine Oregon are 'the future' and will eventually replace the Etrex series (similar chipset and aerial), but you need to try before you buy because the screen is very dim.

Both the Oregon and the Colorado have adjustable screen brightnesses.

Green Party Councillor

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December, 2008, 10:53:26 pm »
Its pictures like this that make me say 'try before you buy'

"Indirect sun, backlight on max"

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/First+Impressions
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll