Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926081 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9175 on: 23 November, 2020, 10:45:55 am »
Finally caught up The Color Out of Space. Nicolas Cage and HP Lovecraft. It took a while for Our Nic to do his trademark bonkers thing, but it was worth it. Bonus points for mutant alpacas. Fewer point for the location, which looked nothing like New England, and generally being a bit dull, shortchanged on the brooding otherworldly menace.

We are still doing the disaster-quest, though we've had to turn it down to one per weekend, our mental health was suffering under the onslaught of terrible apocalypses and we kept stumbling on occasional ones that 'weren't actually too bad' – we were never sure if they weren't actually too bad, or if we'd been cinematically re-calibrated. Life as an awfulophile isn't without its risks.

We hit one head-on this weekend – Countdown: Armageddon (IMDB has it as Jerusalem). It quickly turned out it was a Christian movie (but hey, on the Nic Cage riff, who doesn't love Left Behind). To be fair, this made Left Behind (by any traditional measure, one of the worst movies ever made) look like coherent movie making (watch it, you'll feel dirty but good). Christian movies are like Christian rock. Practically no one sells their soul to Jesus for a guitar and if you do, you are doing it wrong, it's all wholesome campfire sing-a-longs rather than lines of coke the length of the Great Wall of China, stadia full of nubile groupies, and RAAAAAAWK. Absolutely no one is going to salute you, and that's a fact. They'll kick you in the nuts and tell you to stop the bloody Jesus-a-wauling.

Anyway, Christian movies are just as shit as Christian rock. This is axiomatic. This once was special because not one single scene made any sense. A confused-looking lead trying to find her little girl (abdusted from a LA toilet by, I think, god – yes, I know, holy pedobear, batman). Who turned up in Jerasalem. Don't ask why, no one knows, but that's where apocalypses happen, so get on the plane. And the plane scene. Special. It was a movie of special moments. They were lined up, squeezed out one after the other. You could almost hear the splash after each. There was a Timotei angel a pointless wander around the desert as the movie stumbled into further comprehensibility. You will like the fact that the agency of the Anti-Christ was the EU and anti-christ was the head of the EU, sorry, New World Order.

It didn't really have an ending. She got her daughter back (in a, I suppose, literal deus ex machina) and there were some quotes from Revelations, just in case you'd missed the only comprehensible bit of the plot – it's a Christian apocalypse movie – in which case, trust me, you're going to be at the back of the queue to get raptured, if you can find a queue, you'll probably end up getting the last sausage roll from Greggs after a twenty minute wait rather than an eternal afterlife in Heaven. Which, if they've showing stuff like this on whatever passes for a streaming service Uptown, you're better off taking the down escalator.

ian

« Reply #9176 on: 23 November, 2020, 10:55:03 am »
Actually, I forgot to add this to the early part of my review.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9177 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:13:10 pm »
The latest BBC film review had TV's Mark Commode saying some spectacularly rude things about Skyfire.  It sounds delightfully terrible.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9178 on: 23 November, 2020, 08:48:53 pm »
The latest BBC film review had TV's Mark Commode saying some spectacularly rude things about Skyfire.  It sounds delightfully terrible.
The interview with Jason [Hello to] Isaacs was hilarious. I can't imagine being able to keep a straight face acting with him on a film like that.
They did make it sound quite fun - Jurassic Sparks** meets Michael Bentine's Potty Time*, apparently.

*Younger readers should ask Mr Larrington
** VERY Younger readers ... probably should be in bed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9179 on: 28 November, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »
White Riot

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8351520/

The story of Rock Against Racism, back when I was at Uni.

Watch it. If you think things are bad now....

That looks interesting, ordered.

Recently watched Here to be Heard: The Story of The Slits which is excellent, if a little sad.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4706292/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #9180 on: 30 November, 2020, 10:54:26 pm »
As a Poliakoff box set arrived last week I've just watched "Caught On A Train".  Ostende to Linz with Peggy Ashcroft as the fellow passenger from Hell.  I saw this when it was broadcast in 1980, and once since.  Good stuff.  I think his shorter work is best.  I still remember Tim Curry in "City Sugar (1978)" and "Close My Eyes" is a disturbing favourite.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9181 on: 01 December, 2020, 01:09:48 pm »
As a Poliakoff box set arrived last week I've just watched "Caught On A Train".  Ostende to Linz with Peggy Ashcroft as the fellow passenger from Hell.

I refused to watch Poliakoff for years after seeing that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9182 on: 06 December, 2020, 01:09:35 pm »
Mank, with Gary Oldman being Mankiewicz and Charles Dance being Tywin Lannister Hearst.  Very enjoyable, with a couple of good belly-laughs.

« Reply #9183 on: 06 December, 2020, 02:05:35 pm »
Last night I made Mr Smith watch Top Hat.

Today I delighted him with my rendition of Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain). It's a gift that keeps on giving.

(as an aside, I was struck again how much Fred Astaire looks like the boy Wilky)

fuzzy

« Reply #9184 on: 06 December, 2020, 03:04:31 pm »
The Hunt A film about a group of Elite who take a bunch of nobodies and dump them in that there Furrin and then use them as sporting targets.

Some deliciously dark humourm in there.

« Reply #9185 on: 06 December, 2020, 10:21:19 pm »
Mank, with Gary Oldman being Mankiewicz and Charles Dance being Tywin Lannister Hearst.  Very enjoyable, with a couple of good belly-laughs.

On my to-watch list for this week.
Gratuitous funfact: Gary Oldman is younger than Gary Numan

« Reply #9186 on: 06 December, 2020, 10:45:50 pm »
Noelle. Other half wanted to watch something Christmassy. I enjoyed it, a bit like Elf. I laughed out loud quite a few times.

« Reply #9187 on: 11 December, 2020, 08:57:48 am »
As a Poliakoff box set arrived last week I've just watched "Caught On A Train".  Ostende to Linz with Peggy Ashcroft as the fellow passenger from Hell.

I refused to watch Poliakoff for years after seeing that.

Carrying on my Poliakoff season I mentioned I was watching "Perfect Strangers" to a friend, who's husband is a chemistry professor.  She asked if I had seen a chemist called Poliakoff who has a Youtube channel.  I checked & they are brothers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Poliakoff

"Stephen Poliakoff lives in London and is married to fellow scriptwriter Sandy Welch, with whom he has two children. He was awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours list 2007.[41]

His brother, Sir Martyn Poliakoff, a research chemist and lecturer, is a Fellow of the Royal Society,[42] being, until November 2016, its Foreign Secretary and vice-president.[43] He is also the presenter of a YouTube educational series on chemistry, The Periodic Table of Videos.[44]"

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9188 on: 11 December, 2020, 09:40:00 am »
One of the original and best nutty professors, along with the late John Salthouse, who used to go round blowing things up and shooting candles through doors, etc. for the edification of the public.

I bet they don't do lectures like those any more.  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9189 on: 11 December, 2020, 01:00:24 pm »
Carrying on my Poliakoff season...

Carry On Poliakoff! I would watch that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9190 on: 11 December, 2020, 06:14:43 pm »

Carry On Pinter, on the other hand…

« Reply #9191 on: 11 December, 2020, 07:14:38 pm »
Carry On Peckinpah? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9192 on: 11 December, 2020, 09:02:38 pm »
Carry On Peckinpah? :demon:

That’d last about nine hours because 2/3 of it would be in slomo.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9193 on: 12 December, 2020, 11:54:51 pm »

Carry On Pinter, on the other hand…
ITYM Carry on...

...Pinter, on the other hand.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9194 on: 13 December, 2020, 03:25:22 pm »
"A Christmas Carol" in the 1984 version with George C Scott.  I was to be prepared to be disappointed, being a devotee of the Alastair Sim version.  But it was terrific.  Scott was a great actor and in this he showed great respect for his predecessor.  Shrewsbury provided a wonderful setting, tying the film in in my mind with audax and Yr Elenydd - the hardship and scenery without leaving the fireside!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9195 on: 13 December, 2020, 10:19:10 pm »
We watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark again the other night. It has stood the test of time quite well.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9196 on: 14 December, 2020, 09:23:02 am »
High Society. No, not the K-Drama version, the 1956 Louie, Bing, Frank & Princess Grace.

I'll get him crooning before the end of the year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9197 on: 16 December, 2020, 10:45:21 am »
The Valhalla Murders on Netflux. Icelandic krimi, not a patch on Trapped. You work out who was probably behind it at around 40% through and the background "music" wasn't so much as score as a nasty gash.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9198 on: 17 December, 2020, 12:08:53 pm »
The Shape Of Water.  Very good although I felt as if I was watching a mixup of Amelie and Premium Rush (Michael Shannon essentially playing the same bastard).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9199 on: 21 December, 2020, 04:28:56 pm »
Blinded By The Light

Brilliant, feelgood film with a singalong soundtrack and with very funny bits and very sad bits.  (I couldn't stop myself namechecking all the cars!)

"In England in 1987, a teenager from an Asian family learns to live his life, understand his family and find his own voice through the music of American rock star Bruce Springsteen."