Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 949451 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9200 on: 21 December, 2020, 07:15:36 pm »
I was disappointed by "The Shape Of Water" - I thought they over hollywoodized it.  They needed to make it 15% edgier and at least 10% Kookier.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #9201 on: 21 December, 2020, 08:49:13 pm »
“Shoplifters” a slice of Japanese cinema verite.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9202 on: 25 December, 2020, 02:38:09 pm »
Currently, Some Like It Hot. Before that, Singing in the Rain. Double bill of champions…

« Reply #9203 on: 25 December, 2020, 03:08:03 pm »
Being really up to date, we watched The Hurt Locker the other evening. I quite liked it.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #9204 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:53:39 pm »
The Italian Job (Michael Caine version)
On re-watching it appears quite brexit-tastic, but with some lines/shots I've maybe missed previously or over-analysed this time E.g. ( I paraphrase) "We need a man who can fix the Turing Turin computer"
And was the rather prominent cul-de-sac sign outside the cemetery just a 'dead end" pun?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #9205 on: 27 December, 2020, 07:38:25 am »
While we’ve got the 30 day Amazon Prime trial, Knives Out.  Most enjoyable!

« Reply #9206 on: 27 December, 2020, 08:59:12 am »
Pappilon, the remake. I mean, it's not that bad, but it doesn't try anything new at all and seems entirely pointless, considering how good the McQueen version is.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9207 on: 27 December, 2020, 09:26:05 am »
Under the Skin. A small story, might have been by David Lynch but isn't. Netflix gives most of the plot away in their blurb, otherwise it would have been mystifying rather than boring (despite the eye candy).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9208 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:26:07 am »
HER. Complete and utter drivel, so much do we only managed 2/3rds of it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9209 on: 28 December, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
The Midnight Sky. Predictable touchy-feely crap larded with more errors than my dogs' spelling homework, made all the worse by the fact that they got some bits that are usually ignored in other SF films right* and so obviously knew what they were doing wrong but reckoned that the punters wouldn't notice. Thus insulting predictable touchy-feely crap.  So why did I watch it? MrsT - she who got a masters in medicinal chemistry at the age of 68 - liked it.  :facepalm: And to be honest, I enjoyed hooting at the mistakes.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9210 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:18:16 pm »
The Midnight Sky.

It was daft and very pretty.  And while they'd made a similar level of effort on trying to make the space hardware look right, it didn't fall into the same setting-itself-up-to-be-hard-SF-and-failing trap as Away (which, for all its space ridiculousness, did a much better job of the touchy-feely crap, at least among the sensible characters, who were for some reason all on earth).

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9211 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:15:40 pm »
The Midnight Sky.

It was daft and very pretty.  And while they'd made a similar level of effort on trying to make the space hardware look right, it didn't fall into the same setting-itself-up-to-be-hard-SF-and-failing trap as Away (which, for all its space ridiculousness, did a much better job of the touchy-feely crap, at least among the sensible characters, who were for some reason all on earth).

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Ah, to hell with it.

« Reply #9212 on: 28 December, 2020, 03:33:47 pm »

The Midnight Sky.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Ah, to hell with it.

(click to show/hide)
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9213 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9214 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:12:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Soft science fiction? Might as well bring in Harry Potter.  The interiors were nice, though - only one octagonal corridor on the spaceship is worthy of an Oscar.

« Reply #9215 on: 31 December, 2020, 07:20:12 am »
Making the most of having Amazon Prime, we knocked out A Star Is Born ("mumble f*ckin' mumble") over the course of a few nights.  Not the jolliest of stories...

Now enjoying the Oscar-tastic Parasite.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9216 on: 01 January, 2021, 07:37:39 am »
"This Is Spinal Tap".  I know every line but I still cried with laughter at "Shit Sandwich", "I think mine would look better in Dubly", etc.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9217 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:52:47 am »
Another one here trying to find escapist nonsense on Prime and Netflix.
Last night it was Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johansson frequently appearing in a pink catsuit - the appearance of which was somewhat disconcerting.
Pans out pretty much how you'd expect in a videogamey sort of way.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #9218 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:58:15 am »

It was really weird. I partly watched as a part of a "For Your Consideration" awards thing, where they're pushing it to get a nomination for best VFX and a lot of it, is really bad.
 And the space hardware: Interiors were minimal design of  voronoi-lattices on top of corrugated sheets, while the exteriors were really detailed and current tech like. I was also initially thrown off by the spacewalk. "They look really CG" I thought, but why would someone do that?...but they were!.  Especially since they used ILM's LED stage thing, which should have made it easy(ish) to just shoot the actors for real.

Anyway, the whole thing just struck me as an awards vehicle. "Here's George Clooney looking solemn after attempting to save the world. Isn't he great!!"
Took me 3 tries to get through and I probably didn't give it the attention the story deserved, but meh.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9219 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:26:39 am »
We discovered, last week, that the way to keep me awake after 9pm is to watch a film.

As Mrs T wanted me to be awake for midnight last night we watched "Charlie's Angels" (2019 version) followed by "Knives Out" which was enjoyable but predictable in an Agatha Christie style. James Bond can't do accents!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9220 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:20:41 pm »
Our New Years Eve cheesy disaster movie was Oceans Rising (2017)

As the name fails to suggest, it's mostly a rip-off of The Core, with a boat trip (Texas to Geneva, via New York, in order to collide hardons and create *two* black holes) instead of the unobtanium-plated drill craft adventures.  Notable for some gratuitous framing to avoid costly sets and locations, horrendous acting, and technobabble that puts Star Trek to shame.

Good to know that the NOAA space weather task force control centre (or whatever it was) has working ISDN in 2017, anyway.  And that a PhD in SCIENCE means you can decode road signs in un-American units.  And bonus points for avoiding the cliche of saving the day with unclear weapons.

It was shite.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9221 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:13:38 pm »
We watched Parasite yesterday too. Strange segue from farce to dark and not funny anymore...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9222 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:55:54 pm »
We're re-watching the Smileys - the real ones, not the back-of-the-cornflakes-box cardboard model with Gary Oldman.

fuzzy

« Reply #9223 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:59:39 pm »
Austin Powers- International man of wossname.

;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9224 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:21:24 pm »
We watched Kursk last night. Bubble person was under the impression it had a happy ending. Jeez Louise. What an end to the year.
Milk please, no sugar.