Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 06 September, 2019 - 08 September, 2019

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019  (Read 13236 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019
« Reply #75 on: 06 September, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »
.... just seen a flowing white beard and floppy hat cycle past the bike shop I manage in downtown Wellesbourne!  Looks like it can only be one person.

Rob

Gandalf?

He's owned up to drinking tea and eating cake at the Touchdown Cafe on the airfield.   Tip: the bread pudding is better than the cakes.

Rob

« Reply #76 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:34:15 pm »
We are clustered around a fire drinking beer & wine, eating cheese & olives, talking bollocks.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #77 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:38:10 pm »
Sounds good to me wish I was there.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:54:46 pm »
So do we!   And TJ, Joan & Nye.  :(

« Reply #79 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:12:20 pm »
We are now discussing where to eat and drink tomorrow evening. Some cycling may take place tomorrow. (Apparently this is a viscous rumour.....)
Reine de la Fauche

robgul

« Reply #80 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:19:08 am »
We are now discussing where to eat and drink tomorrow evening. Some cycling may take place tomorrow. (Apparently this is a viscous rumour.....)

Please announce the venue here - I may appear (if I don't this afternoon after I have closed the shop) if that's OK with you.

I would avoid the pubs in Wellesbourne and recommend the Boar's Head (a.k.a. The Whore's Bed) in Hampton Lucy - good food and a selection of guest beers

Rob

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #81 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:59:59 am »
Have a great weekend, have a pint and good cuppa and enjoy the great YACF friendship. 👋👋👋

« Reply #82 on: 07 September, 2019, 09:51:01 am »
Hope you all have a good weekend, I really quite fancied this event myself until I realised it clashed with Mrs B's long planned weekend in York.

« Reply #83 on: 07 September, 2019, 09:55:00 am »
Looking at route 3, can you recommend anywhere to stop for refreshments in Kinneton?
Reine de la Fauche

robgul

« Reply #84 on: 07 September, 2019, 09:56:38 am »
Looking at route 3, can you recommend anywhere to stop for refreshments in Kinneton?

Yes - in the centre of the village there is a flower shop that has a tearoom in the garden at the back - excellent, one of my semi-regular haunts.

Rob

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #85 on: 08 September, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »
Home now!

A very good weekend at a lovely camp site. It was busy, but there is lots of space between the pitches which is nicely unmown grass, with lots of Things living in it, I'm sure. The showers were good, the fire pits very welcome and the weather cold at night. 3°C when I woke up this morning. Kim told me it had been 1°C at 3am, and Julia had ice on her tent. I expect the rest of us did too, but I didn't notice. Luckily, I had taken warm stuff (sleeping bag and lightweight Alpkit quilt) so was very comfortable . The company was first-rate, but then I expected it to be!

We had a pretty decent ride yesterday which involved a tea room in Kineton. At one point we stopped because some model aircraft enthusiasts were operating their World War 1 style biplane and triplane in some sort of aerobatic chase. Once we had stopped watching that, we were treated to a very fine avian display. Firstly, there was a red kite drifting about. But then I heard a buzzard mewing. Within a minute or so, three buzzards had appeared and although there was no direct conflict, the red kite seemed to think that discretion was the better part of valour, and buggered off.

My tickets were to Leamington Spa, but I decided to return via Warwick station as it's a little closer to Wellesbourne and the approach can be along a quieter road (Kim led me astray here ;) )but when I arrive at Warwick there were no facilities for a hungry cyclist at lunch time, despite the fictional notice about a café on Platform 1, and no facilities for getting a bike onto the platform other than by picking it up bodily and carrying it down ad up flights of stairs. Under the circumstances I decided to carry on to Leamington Spa, and it was quite a nice ride. Th ride across London from Marylebone to Lpoo St was very pleasant. I like London on a pleasant, sunny Sunday afternoon.

Thanks to Kim for doing the research, Cycleman for being inspirational, Andrew for supplying me with a goodly amount of food and Julia for lending me a sleeping bag liner. Oh, and everyone for the company. Looking forward to the next one...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 08 September, 2019, 07:42:00 pm »
A very good weekend at a lovely camp site. It was busy, but there is lots of space between the pitches which is nicely unmown grass, with lots of Things living in it, I'm sure.

Here's one:

Some sort of steroid-enhanced earwig, I reckon.  Fast-moving and a bugger to photograph, anyway.

Beasties aside, the site gets a thumbs up from me:  The meadow-mown-into-individual-pitches approach works well.  The area's lumpy but the pitches themselves are reasonably flat, no drainage or pegging issues.  Decent loos (though no lighting and only cold water in their sinks), the barn area with the showers and pot wash (which did have hot water) was poorly lit, but the showers themselves were fine (with plenty of space to put your stuff).  Little shop with firewood, ice creams and the usual bits and bobs.  Charging sockets™.  Cafe at the airfield.  Owner who seemed enthusiastic about having us.

3°C when I woke up this morning. Kim told me it had been 1°C at 3am, and Julia had ice on her tent. I expect the rest of us did too, but I didn't notice. Luckily, I had taken warm stuff (sleeping bag and lightweight Alpkit quilt) so was very comfortable.

1°C on the Garmin, reading from the Ant+ sensor under my recumbent seat, 11.5°C on the bike computer, reading the ambient temperature in my tent.  This is why small tents are better when it's cold!

I was warm in my sleeping bag and liner, with the down jacket draped on top for the first hour or so.  The hot water bottle was overkill, and the only reason I didn't evict it was in anticipation of the temperature dropping before dawn.

We had a pretty decent ride yesterday which involved a tea room in Kineton. At one point we stopped because some model aircraft enthusiasts were operating their World War 1 style biplane and triplane in some sort of aerobatic chase.

When we first arrived, there was a jet-powered model in flight.  I've never seen one running before, and the thrust to weight ratio was spectacular.  Not quite as entertaining as the propeller-driven dogfighting though.

In the afternoon, we found a ford, where Nothing didn't happen:

None of the bicycle riders liked the look of the stony bottom, and cycleman made some excuse about mixing water with electricity.  The freshness of the looks-like-tractor-wheels tracks was commented on, and as if on cue a large caterpillar-tracked tractor pulling an Agricultural Machine Thingy™ appeared and demonstrated its fording technique, which Nye would doubtless have appreciated.

My tickets were to Leamington Spa, but I decided to return via Warwick station as it's a little closer to Wellesbourne and the approach can be along a quieter road (Kim led me astray here ;) )

Yeah, my planned route was somewhat hill-avoidant, as I wasn't sure about my Achilles, and generally worked better in the opposite direction.  (I was using the poorly-mapped but well-built roundabout underpass which joins the minor road at Sherbourne to the B4463, rather than the more usual Hampton Lucy to Norton Lindsey route.

I'm struggling to remember Warwick station.  I must have been there at some point, but I can only remember Warwick Parkway, which like all partway stations, is best avoided.

I reckon we should do this one again next year...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #87 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:18:55 pm »
And for those who didn't ask, the fable of The Ant And The Man (not to be confused with Ant Man, which is something entirely different):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EPg-v0I1KzU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EPg-v0I1KzU&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/EPg-v0I1KzU

« Reply #88 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:24:21 pm »
Thanks to all for making it such a good weekend. I had ice on my tent this morning which led to a cold wet tent to pack away. Got home just before 2pm and first job was to put the tent up to dry it out.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #89 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:39:29 pm »
I can't really make out Kim's creature, but it's the right colour and texture to be a devil's coach horse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #90 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:52:09 pm »
I can't really make out Kim's creature, but it's the right colour and texture to be a devil's coach horse.

Yeah, that looks about right.  In a funny-looking-horse sort of way.

« Reply #91 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:09:35 pm »
Much preferable to slugs though but.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:22:26 pm »
Much preferable to slugs though but.

Those were pleasingly absent.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #93 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:44:02 pm »
Another excellent feature of the campsite was the firmness of the turf. Never had the slightest problem with a sinking helinox...

« Reply #94 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:51:01 pm »
I have fitted mine with 25mm ferrules.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:52:32 pm »
I have one of those stop-your-Helinox-sinking-into-the-ground-and-losing-its-ferrules mats.  The ground was firm enough that I didn't bother fitting it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #96 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:06:48 pm »
Why did I forget to post a photo of Kevin The Chicken?

Here's a photo of Kevin The Chicken:

He had an unhealthy interest in my tent.

« Reply #97 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:17:17 pm »
Has he emigrated from Long Itch?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:20:42 pm »
Has he emigrated from Long Itch?

He's a bit smaller and a lot more cocky than the Long Itch cockerel.  Also, Kevin is - in chicken terms - a master of stealth.  I got quite a surprise when I unzipped my tent this morning to find him peering in at me; I hadn't heard a thing.  The Long Itch one, on the other hand, is always keen to exact audax o'clock revenge on any snorers.

« Reply #99 on: 09 September, 2019, 07:43:37 am »
Who is this imposter Kevin?  The Wellbourne Cock is called Trevor, according to site management.

A good place & yes we should return.  Co-op a short ride away , but it closes early on Sunday. Local cafe does a good breakfast though it’s future may be in doubt
[size=78%]https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1170653047774732288?s=21[/size]

Cudzo & I both spent yesterday lazing around. We’ll regret it today as we have to ride home in the rain that’s just started.