Author Topic: The Pompino Thread  (Read 77916 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Pompino Thread
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
I'm shocked. The Pomp is the only fixer in my garage that doesn't have toe overlap. Oh dear...

My Langster has no toe overlap

« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:12:24 pm »
All my bikes have toe overlap as I have big feet but am small. But the Pompino overlap is really ridiculous!

Chris S

« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:15:53 pm »
All my bikes have toe overlap as I have big feet but am small. But the Pompino overlap is really ridiculous!

What size did you buy?

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:34:23 pm »
Size small.

Here are some pics. I rode it for about 100 yards and almost came off when my foot hit the wheel as I was turning. I have size eight feet, but I think even someone with smaller feet would have trouble. 

« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »
Wow - that's quite extreme! Switch to really short cranks?!

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
That's silly.  With a fatter tyre & guards the pedal wouldn't clear, let alone your foot

« Reply #31 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »
Cranks are 165. Yes, it's totally silly. Very disappointing. I do hope there aren't many of these bikes out there in this state.

« Reply #32 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »
 :o That's really shocking. What a disappointment :(

« Reply #33 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:23:50 pm »
That really is shockingly bad.

Small bikes can't just be the same as big bikes but with shorter tubing - they have to design it to work.

I have had several bikes with toeclip overlap, but that is truly ridiculous. Quite quite dangerous on a fixed, too.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:26:22 pm »
Cripes!  Good excuse for not getting one of those then...   ???

« Reply #35 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »
Saw this very bike earlier. The geometry is all wrong in this frame size. The wheelbase is too short: no room for a mudguard between the rear wheel and the seat stay (and there is barely room for a guard under the brake bridge); and too short in the main triangle too as seen above. A bit of toe overlap is fine, but this is more than a bit - the potential for intersection between the arc of the front of the foot and the front wheel is too great.

I agree that it ought to go back as 1) unrideable, certainly as a fixed and 2) unusable if you want a proper rear guard with reasonable tyre size. It looks like a frame that would work with 26" wheels, not 700c.

I also thought the choice of semi-aero rims made it a very odd looking bike.

« Reply #36 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:28:44 pm »
That's odd. I've got 170s and guards on mine and the overlap is minimal. It is a medium though.

LindaG

« Reply #37 on: 16 March, 2011, 07:54:17 am »
That is odd.  These frames must be non-standard sizes, because my Pomp was a small, with 165mm cranks, and I have size 7.5 feet.  Yes, there was toe overlap.  Not as bad as yours though Peli.

When I took the bike to LBS for crash damage assessment, they told me the alignment was often wide of the mark - some of their staff have Pompinos.  I wonder if there is something going on at the factory.

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:03:55 am »
I've seen small Pompinos before and they didn't have that amount of overlap.

As LG says, there must be a problem with the frame build

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:10:01 am »
Yeah, Julian's Pomp (a 120mm, but an earlier one) has a fair bit of overlap, but nothing that bad.

You can ride a fixed with overlap perfectly safely, even through thick traffic - but it's not something I'd choose, given the opportunity.  On One's been making 'em long enough that they should have minimized it as much as possible by now.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #40 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:14:14 am »
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

As I say, I have overlap on all my bikes, but nothing this extreme. I have overlap on my Surly Steamroller and cope with that OK, but this just felt incredibly dangerous when I rode it round the carpark. A slight turn of the handlebars and I was kicking the tyre.

Let's see what On-One say in response to my email.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:22:02 am »
That's got to go back.  Geometry is scarily wrong.

What a disappointment for you when you're having such a difficult time with bikes. :(
Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #42 on: 16 March, 2011, 05:09:24 pm »
Bad luck Peli.
My Pompino has toe overlap but I am used to it.
As you say on yours it is too extreme.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #43 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:02:01 pm »
My Pomp doesn't have overlap, it's an XL though, but I do have size 12 feet.

« Reply #44 on: 17 March, 2011, 09:20:33 am »
I have a large, it has a little toe overlap but I have size 11 feet.

« Reply #45 on: 20 March, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »
On-One have agreed to take the bike back (I've not confirmed with them yet about who pays for the return delivery), but have not commented at all on the geometry of the frame.

Nightfly

« Reply #46 on: 21 March, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »
Could you not mount the cleat on the sole of your shoe further forward thus reducing overlap?

« Reply #47 on: 21 March, 2011, 02:44:24 pm »
No, that wouldn't work. I'd get very sore knees, it would be a bodge rather than getting a properly-fitting bike, and it wouldn't make that much difference as the overlap is so extreme, etc etc.

As Pluck says upthread, the geometry is very odd indeed and even if the toe overlap weren't so bad, I'd think twice about keeping the bike. There's no room for mudguards at all, and the whole frame just looks squashed and ill-thought-through. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:34:20 pm »
Glad they are taking it back. It is described as being able to take mudguards etc. So in that respect alone, it should go back.

I was considering treating the other half to one but probably need to look elsewhere. Though she fits on my medium apart from the stem being a bit too long (it's a bit long for me to be honest as the pompino has a very long top tube it seems).  But I reckon she'd be happier on a small.

So I guess you have to start again with trying to find something that fits better? How frustrating.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #49 on: 10 April, 2011, 09:48:11 pm »
The bottom bracket on my Pompino (external bearing) has developed some play. Bit hacked off about that. I've only had it 6 months.