Author Topic: Slugs vs snails  (Read 3201 times)

Si

Slugs vs snails
« on: 08 May, 2008, 10:33:59 am »
Why is it that people often think that snails are really cute, but at they same time find slugs disgusting?  To all intents and purposes a snail is just a slug with a lump of shell on its back so why the bias?  Magic roundabout?

border-rider

Re: Slugs vs snails
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:36:44 am »
I dislike 'em all :)

When we were students we used t find really big (10-15 cm long, 2 cm wide) orange slugs in our kitchen.  In the saucepans.

I wanted to cook them in garlic and market them as escargots sans maisons, but I was outvoted

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:43:31 am »
I'm happy to pick snails up bare-handed to remove them from the garden. Slugs are a different proposition, though my other half is okay handling them (biologists' training, I presume).

There are loads of snails in my garden at present. I need a hedgehog.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:02:08 am »
They all eat my plants  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:28:45 am »
What did the slug say to the snail?

Big Issue?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
Slugs are covered with poisonous slime to make them unpalatable to predators, since they have no shell in which to retreat for protection.  Many kinds of snail are edible (to humans), but I know of no edible slug.

What did the slug say to the snail?

Big Issue?!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:36:20 pm »
We have ninja slugs and samurai snails in this garden - my hostas... :'( 

I discovered our neighbour uses these 'organic' pellets - http://www.pestfree.co.uk/slug-pellets-fito-slug-stoppa.htm may try some.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Robbo4

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:20:59 pm »
Slugs are covered with poisonous slime to make them unpalatable to predators, since they have no shell in which to retreat for protection.  Many kinds of snail are edible (to humans), but I know of no edible slug.

"Lingots" The large black ones, collected away from animals, especially pigs, and treated with salt before being roasted. Remove the rudimentary shell. They have fallen out of popularity since the end of the war.

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2008, 10:21:55 am »
Pcolbeck junior was playing with a snail in our garden yesterday. It was surprisingly elegant and quite fast once it got going. Unfortunately for the snail our bantam came over to see what we were doing and the snail quickly became a snack.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.