Author Topic: The women's road race  (Read 7845 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The women's road race
« on: 10 August, 2008, 10:35:55 am »
About time too!

The "Welsh" weather may have helped  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fiendish

• Yummy!
Re: Nicole Cooke's just won gold
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:39:25 am »
She scared Hugh a bit though coming round that corner so far behind!

Fantastic ride for team GB.  Horrible weather.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:41:37 am »
Fantastic Sunday morning TV!

Nice work Team GB - and great win Nicole Cooke.

What happened in the last 1km? She seemed to have dropped off the group at one point...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:42:47 am »
+1.
Puts the quote from the Sunday Times into perspective:
...while all four British cyclists in the men's road race were among the 53 riders who dropped out of the 245km event because of the intense heat and humidity.
Well done Ms Cooke.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:44:55 am »
That was emotional!
It is simpler than it looks.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:50:23 am »
That was emotional!

Certainly was! I can only imagine she had a problem on one of the last corners to drop off the leaders (the camera work really wasn't up to much!) - amazing to come back from that gap, and remarkably poor weather (and commentating).

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:59:13 am »
That was emotional!

Certainly was! I can only imagine she had a problem on one of the last corners to drop off the leaders (the camera work really wasn't up to much!) - amazing to come back from that gap, and remarkably poor weather (and commentating).

She may have missed a gear change? It did cause a momentary heart flutter at Chateau Kahn, but apart from that one moment she seemed to ride a near perfect race. Fantastic.  :D
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

vince

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:02:55 am »
Is there a video link yet? I can't see anything on iPlayer.

Great news though :D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:03:41 am »
Excellent stuff. I must admit I was convinced she had gone too early but what a finish. That should be a great boost to the track gang as well. Well done Nicole.

All we need now if for Adrian Chiles to come along and congratulate her on not falling off.  ;D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:05:33 am »
 Well done for Nicole Cooke and her team mates who did a great job supporting her this time  :thumbsup:

I've been a fan of Nicole's since she won all three titles in one year, for too long she has been overlooked by the press, having now won the first gold medal of the games for UK she bloody well better get some  :thumbsup: ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:17:08 am »
having now won the first gold medal of the games for UK she bloody well better get some  :thumbsup: ;D

Oh, she won't have any trouble getting some. Oh, I see what you mean.   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:33:53 am »
Bah!  Spoiler :(

Haven't watched it yet.

Please alter post

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »
I can only imagine she had a problem on one of the last corners to drop off the leaders (the camera work really wasn't up to much!) - amazing to come back from that gap, and remarkably poor weather (and commentating).
There was a left bend with lots of paint just before the toll booths where Sharon Laws came off earlier. She may have had a moment there. The coverage was showing the main bunch coming under the 1k flag at the time.

Keeping a low profile all season so that someone else (Vos) was the marked favourite probably helped. There didn't seem to be much reaction when she joined the Austrian to bridge across to GuderiniGuderzo's attack, just after the top of the main climb. The Germans chasing in the last 6km or so weren't making much impression either, after chasing down Emma Pooley on the way up the main climb. The benefits of having a team a strong as everyone else's  :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:10:10 pm »
She's come a long way since she used to beat me in the club 10 years ago!  :thumbsup:

There's a short clip of the finish here.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:16:42 pm »
Longo did incredibly well considering she's 10 years older than me...and I'm Jurassic compared to most racing cyclists.

« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:18:48 pm »
wonderful
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:31:52 pm »
How exciting was that!

She gave us all  scare on that last turn; I'm looking foward to an interview.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:33:41 pm »
Yay, well done Nicole and the team  :thumbsup: :D.

I can only imagine she had a problem on one of the last corners to drop off the leaders (the camera work really wasn't up to much!) - amazing to come back from that gap, and remarkably poor weather (and commentating).
There was a left bend with lots of paint just before the toll booths where Sharon Laws came off earlier. She may have had a moment there. The coverage was showing the main bunch coming under the 1k flag at the time.

I remember (possibly incorrectly) that she rode into a barrier in Athens when chasing the leaders, maybe, considering the attrocious conditions, she just took the corner very carefully to avoid a repeat of that.

« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:04:30 pm »
I remember (possibly incorrectly) that she rode into a barrier in Athens when chasing the leaders, maybe, considering the attrocious conditions, she just took the corner very carefully to avoid a repeat of that.
She nearly went into a stone wall near the end of the Commonwealth Games RR.
I was thinking more of losing the right line on the corner after getting on the paint. She didn't lose enough time to have actually come off.

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »
I was in the cafe eating my cooked breakfast and we all got to watch the last 6km on the wide screen TV.
It was very exciting.
I did get concerned when she dropped off the back at the end but I wonder if it was not just the paint but also a tactic to make them think she was not in the sprint for the end, enabling her to wind up and come through?
Top TV.  Top ride.  Great for the sport.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:15:16 pm »
We watched some on the small screen then moved to the 9' screen.

At times we were dodging the spray. I said to the kids after the last bend "Oh, that's it, 4th".

Oh ye of little faith!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 10 August, 2008, 03:00:52 pm »
A superb win. It obviously meant a lot to her as well!  Well well deserved.  She was quick to thank her team mates as well, which was nice.

« Reply #22 on: 10 August, 2008, 04:01:17 pm »
Cheers you tw*t

« Reply #23 on: 10 August, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »
A superb win. It obviously meant a lot to her as well!  Well well deserved.  She was quick to thank her team mates as well, which was nice.

I too found her beaming smile and celebration with team mates and team staff very happy to watch.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #24 on: 10 August, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »